Above average MCAT and below average GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeepValue

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA is around a 3.2 and my MCAT is a 505. What are my chances of getting an acceptance if everything else is good?

Members don't see this ad.

Those stats should get DO interviews for sure, but for acceptances it’s gonna come down to your personality, etc.

Yeah your GPA is low, I would apply broadly and apply early to DO schools and you will get some invites

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA is around a 3.2 and my MCAT is a 505. What are my chances of getting an acceptance if everything else is good?
You'll need killer EC's to balance everything out.

If your Science GPA is below a 3.2, you'll be screen out by a few schools. Apply broadly/early and you may get in somewhere, especially if you apply to newer for profit schools/branch campuses (buyer beware?).

Reactions: 1 user
Where is your state of residence ? Do you have any physician shadowing hours or clinical volunteering or employment hours with patient contact ?

I'm in Florida. Many hours with patient contact.

Your GPA is low for MD but may be okay for DO. Your MCAT is fine for DO but low for MD, especially with your GPA. What is your sGPA? Any shadowing? Any nonclinical volunteering to the unserved/underserved in your community? Are you URM by any chance? If so what group ? Do you speak Spanish fluently? That’s always a nice addition.

sGPA also 3.2. Lots of shadowing and volunteering. URM and do speak Spanish fluently.

If you are URM Hispanic you could receive interviews at these schools with your stats:
Florida State
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont