ABPMR: The fleecing of Physiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any more progress on this? I'm in the middle of taking my MOC 3 recert and I'm seriously considering abandoning ship soon. I need my hospital to get on board with NBPAS. I don't have enough time for that before my board certification expires so I will make it a go next round. Have to go through the medical exec committee and change the bylaws. Anyone have any experience doing that?

Our hospital bylaws say "Board eligibility, certification, or equivalent training/education". So anyone who was once certified and let it lapse has 10 yrs of eligibility, and provided they show maintenance of licensure, nobody's privileges get revoked.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks. I'm gonna look into that next week... could save some unnecessary expense

Dear Residents,

On behalf of the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AAPM&R), we would like to apologize for the inconvenience and frustration you experienced with the failed transition of administering the Self-Assessment Examination for Residents (SAE-R) to an online format. We at AAPM&R are taking this matter very seriously as we understand the value of your time spent preparing for the exam and the time you spent away from your clinical work.

The Academy’s goal for transitioning to an online format was to modernize the exam offering and bolster the value to PM&R residency programs with the ability to deliver the SAE-R reports more quickly to assist with knowledge measurements now in place due to the ACGME Milestones.

Several years ago, we partnered with a vendor whose core business is to administer such examinations. We are very disappointed to see that they and the Academy were not able to provide a successful and smooth transition of the exam from paper to an online offering as we expected. While Academy leaders are pursuing recourse with this vendor, our top priority is on confirming next steps to share with programs (program directors, residents, and program coordinators) in the coming days on rescheduling the exam.

Please be assured that you are the Academy’s top priority right now, and we thank you for your continued patience as we work on correcting this situation.

Sincerely,

Gregory M. Worsowicz, MD, MBA
AAPM&R President

Thomas Stautzenbach, MA, MBA, CAE
AAPM&R Executive Director & Chief Executive Officer

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wish i could take credit, but the ball is rolling in any case.

View this email in your browser
a651c4ae-8bed-4c0e-9c81-886d53df92d5.jpg
ABPMR Announces Participation in ABMS MOC Assessment Initiative
More details to come soon; sign up to give feedback

The American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (ABPMR) is pleased to announce its decision to be a participating member board in the new American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) MOC Assessment Initiative.

The Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Assessment Initiative will explore different methods of assessing a physician’s knowledge, judgment, and skills that could potentially serve as alternatives to the current ABPMR MOC Part III Examination. Our goal will be to launch a pilot program to test the reliability and effectiveness of more frequent, smaller scale assessments with spaced repetition. To support the pilot, ABMS is developing an innovative, web-based assessment platform that leverages mobile smart technology to explore new assessment and learning approaches. If successful, this may result in a change to the ABPMR MOC Part III requirement (currently a secure examination every 10 years). You can expect an announcement from ABMS next week with more information.

Why are we doing this? Because of your feedback.

During the ABPMR MOC Survey, you said the MOC Examination was too broad and required valuable time away from your practice to “cram” for an exam that didn’t feel relevant. The limitations of the current format have led to a careful consideration of alternatives.

Ultimately, the ABPMR is committed to innovating MOC in a way that makes sense for physiatry. This will be our focus throughout the pilot process.

We know your next question: How will this affect me? Right now, we’re not sure. Key decisions on program design, participants, timing, and launch date will continue to be finalized over the next several months. We will keep you informed regularly as we progress in the planning stages of the pilot.

In the meantime, there are a few ways for you to get involved:
  • Join the MOC Assessment Initiative Advisory Group. We’re looking to form an advisory group of ABPMR diplomates willing to provide periodic feedback on program design, content areas, and other key logistics and planning decisions specifically for this project. Note: This group is providing feedbackduring the planning process only; we’re not asking for volunteers for the pilot itself at this time.

Lend us your voice and be part of making this assessment tool meaningful for all diplomates.Sign up here.
  • Attend informational/feedback sessions at national meetings.Plan to participate in ABPMR-led sessions at specialty society national meetings to communicate your ideas directly to ABPMR board directors and other key partners.
  • Contact the board office. As always, if you have specific feedback you wish to share outside these channels, please don’t hesitate to contact us by phone or email anytime. Your input will be shared with the board.

###

American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
3015 Allegro Park Lane SW
Rochester MN 55902-4139
507-282-1776 / Fax 507-282-9242
email: [email protected]

Copyright © 2016 American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. All rights reserved.

This email was sent to lobelsteve
American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation · 3015 Allegro Park Lane SW · Rochester, MN 55902 · USA

what this email really means is: do absolutely nothing right now, because all of your MOC requirements might change in a month or 2. i agree its a good start, but there is no meat to this press release whatsoever. we'll see what happens when the rubber meets the road

Your Academy Applauds ABPMR’s Recent MOC Announcement
The American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (ABPMR) recently announced their involvement in the new American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) MOC Assessment Initiative. If successful, this may result in a change to the ABPMR Maintenance of Certification® (MOC®) Part III requirement. Your Academy applauds the ABPMR for their commitment to exploring new assessment and learning approaches. While the ABPMR ultimately decides upon any changes to MOC, your Academy – the voice representing roughly 7,000 board-certified physiatrists – will continue to advocate on your behalf for more meaningful and relevant MOC requirements that also align with the future of health care. The Academy believes this recent announcement is a positive step for all ABPMR-certified physiatrists.

Any more progress on this? I'm in the middle of taking my MOC 3 recert and I'm seriously considering abandoning ship soon. I need my hospital to get on board with NBPAS. I don't have enough time for that before my board certification expires so I will make it a go next round. Have to go through the medical exec committee and change the bylaws. Anyone have any experience doing that?

What is NBPAS, if you don't mind me asking

What is NBPAS, if you don't mind me asking
Nbpas is an alternate board certification due to abms being obstructive towards physicians practice.

There is a revolt afoot. ABIM, ASA, and now the AAPMR are taking the interest of physicians into account.

AAPMR is making progress in the best of interest of practising physicians to help reduce the burden of ABMS requirements while ensuring quality of care. MOC is going under considerable change at this time. Useless and costly requirements will yield to easily completed and pertinent tasks to ensure patient safety and better physician competence.

Nbpas is an alternate board certification due to abms being obstructive towards physicians practice.

There is a revolt afoot. ABIM, ASA, and now the AAPMR are taking the interest of physicians into account.

AAPMR is making progress in the best of interest of practising physicians to help reduce the burden of ABMS requirements while ensuring quality of care. MOC is going under considerable change at this time. Useless and costly requirements will yield to easily completed and pertinent tasks to ensure patient safety and better physician competence.

Thank you Steve, it is interesting. So you are stating a physiatrist doesn't need to go through AAPMR to be certified? They could utilize NBPAS? Does NBPAS have oral exams associated with this certification?

Look at my post above regarding feedback requested by ABPMR regarding the use of MOC. Please go participate. The more voices heard from docs, the better. ABPMR is slowly changing to stay in touch with you and me in regards to physician competence. All MDs on the Board are required to go through all the same hoops as the rest of us. Look for announcements in the next 2 months regarding a more friendly and caring ABPMR.

4E8dfXd8q93b9dSRzz0HHBHR6pXjIXD3uKY46DKDe7hLvQOCKu4Kv5sPV2JeUanPQov7g0vMTvZHLGo-Qqc_tpogbeKhT3A9zQCDtI722iG5Omr38R3E_7JpBJHj42zZp0HU3g=s0-d-e1-ft

Dear colleagues,

NBPAS continues to grow with 4000 diplomats and over 40 hospitals accepting NBPAS certification as an alternative to ABMS. For a complete list of accepting hospitals, go to NBPAS.org.

The anti-MOC “movement” got a boost at the 2016 AMA annual meeting in Chicago this June. At this meeting there was a great deal of discussion about MOC, in part led by the Pennsylvania Medical Society (PAMED) delegation which hosted a Maintenance of Certification (MOC) panel discussion. As part of that discussion, NBPAS board member Bonnie Weiner, MD spoke about the NBPAS alternative. Following the meeting, PAMED issued a statement of no confidence in the ABIM's Board and leadership.

Notably, at the AMA meeting the House of Delegates approved resolution 309 stating:

"RESOLVED, That our American Medical Association call for the immediate end of any mandatory, secured recertifying examination by the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) or other certifying organizations as part of the recertification process for all those specialties that still require a secure, high-stakes recertification examination.”

This resolution comes on the heels of the Oklahoma state legislature passing a law this April highlights stating:

“Nothing in the Oklahoma Allopathic Medical and Surgical Licensure and Supervision Act shall be construed as to require a physician to secure a Maintenance of Certification (MOC) as a condition of licensure, reimbursement, employment or admitting privileges at a hospital in this state. For the purposes of this subsection, “Maintenance of Certification (MOC)” shall mean a continuing education program measuring core competencies in the practice of medicine and surgery and approved by a nationally recognized accrediting organization.”

These events highlight the momentum building in this country to do away with MOC altogether. Several of the ABMS boards including the ABIM have recently announced an alternative to the Q10 year high stakes recertifying exam. While this is a welcome change, these boards replace the Q10 year exam with more frequent take home exams that many believe add little or nothing to patient care and do not change the appearance of economic motivation by the member boards. For example, with 200,000 diplomats, at $250 per year, the ABIM will see $50M in annual revenue from MOC.

This is NOT the time to let up on the grass roots anti-MOC movement. We are all busy, hardworking physicians. Please take the time to spread the word. We are making progress but continue to need your help. Many resources including sample letters and PowerPoint presentations and News are available at NBPAS.org. Do your part to help the anti-MOC movement.

Sincerely,

Paul Teirstein, MD
National Board of Physicians and Surgeons

Reactions: 2 users
isn't it similar with Oral Boards? Revenue generating scheme to essentially verify you speak English ? Haven't a lot of other specialities scrapped it?

Last edited:
bump
any updates?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm out of loop. Quit AAPMR after years of trying to make change for MOC. Neurology and Anesthesiology have done away MOC computer testing. We are still waiting for this from ABPMR.

Ugh. Thanks for all your efforts Steve. Currently looking at what I need to do to continue to "meet requirements".

I still need to do self assessments and performance project.

My hospital does pay the yearly fees at least.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ugh. Thanks for all your efforts Steve. Currently looking at what I need to do to continue to "meet requirements".

I still need to do self assessments and performance project.

My hospital does pay the yearly fees at least.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know of a website or resource with pip “examples”?

Does anyone know of a website or resource with pip “examples”?

the AAPMR PIP isnt all that painful. do the low back one. if you do it "right" it takes a while. if you just make stuff up, you can get it done in an hour or 2