ABPN Neurology board exam results?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soulofmpatel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I took the neurology board exam on 9/15/13, and I'm awaiting my result.

I keep checking the ABPN website:

http://www.abpn.com/

It says "pending release of grades" which suggests that we may get results soon.
We were told before by e-mail that results would take 10-12 weeks, and it has been only about 8 weeks, but I've heard they tend to come a little bit sooner than expected.

How long until you think we'll get the results? I paid $2,700 for the exam, so you would think that should be adequate to cover their expenses to grade a computerized multiple choice test (especially since the GRE is graded instantaneously and is 1/10th the cost).

I know you guys can't answer my question, so we'll turn this into a brag about passing or whine about failing thread.

Good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys.

I took the neurology board exam on 9/15/13, and I'm awaiting my result.

I keep checking the ABPN website:

http://www.abpn.com/

It says "pending release of grades" which suggests that we may get results soon.
We were told before by e-mail that results would take 10-12 weeks, and it has been only about 8 weeks, but I've heard they tend to come a little bit sooner than expected.

How long until you think we'll get the results? I paid $2,700 for the exam, so you would think that should be adequate to cover their expenses to grade a computerized multiple choice test (especially since the GRE is graded instantaneously and is 1/10th the cost).

I know you guys can't answer my question, so we'll turn this into a brag about passing or whine about failing thread.

Good luck to all.

This came up last year. If you check your physician folio at ABPN, it will note that you are "board certified" a week or two before your results are mailed to you.

Don't complain about the $2700 for the exam. After you pass, you will learn that it will cost you about 5K per year just to keep up on all of your MOC requirements. The AAN conveniently has CME that you can sign up for that will meet all of your MOC requirements, it will just cost you. Also, your state will throw in required CME here and there just to keep your license up to date. If you are an osteopathic physician as I am, the AOA also nabs you on their requirements. It all adds up, just part of the game now.

This came up last year. If you check your physician folio at ABPN, it will note that you are "board certified" a week or two before your results are mailed to you.

Don't complain about the $2700 for the exam. After you pass, you will learn that it will cost you about 5K per year just to keep up on all of your MOC requirements. The AAN conveniently has CME that you can sign up for that will meet all of your MOC requirements, it will just cost you. Also, your state will throw in required CME here and there just to keep your license up to date. If you are an osteopathic physician as I am, the AOA also nabs you on their requirements. It all adds up, just part of the game now.

First of all, I'd like to wish all of this year's examinees the best of luck.

Bustbones nailed it. The website for ABPN will have your info up sooner than the mailed results (I remember checking it religiously), and this is merely the first of a long series of checks you are about to start cutting to satisfy the certification gods of medicine. Welcome to the family!

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the info. Who exactly is pocketing all this money?, and do you know the location of their mansions so that I can egg them?

Thanks for the info. Who exactly is pocketing all this money?, and do you know the location of their mansions so that I can egg them?

Everybody sort of gets a piece of the pie, you'd better go out and buy a lot of eggs. If I may use myself for an example:

1) I subscribe the Continuum, so long as I fill out the quizzes at the end, its keeps my CME current, it just cost about $380 per year extra in addition to the $450 AAN membership. I also am behind and have to do a PIP module, about $160?
2) I have to do 30 level 1 AOA credits every so often, which is near impossible? Ever heard of any good AOA neurology conferences? So long as you go to some sort of big AOA conference every other year, such as their Fall conference, you are covered.
3) I have a UCNS Certificate in Headache Medicine. I pretty much have to go to at least one headache conference per year in order to keep up on their MOC.
4) I have a license in TX and PA. TX requires ethics CME to maintain a license. Opportunities for approved ethics CME are scarce, BUT if you join the Texas Neurological Society and go to their annual conference, you will be covered as they always have an hour ethics lecture scheduled
5) PA requires some sort of pallative care/pain CME garbage every so often. They mail you the stuff, you complete and pay $95

Its all a mafia, so to speak. Funny thing is, the men and women who are sitting down mapping out all of this crap have grandfathered in for life. Good for them.

Funny thing is, the men and women who are sitting down mapping out all of this crap have grandfathered in for life. Good for them.

It's always humorous when those passing rules and setting up the criteria the rest of us must satisy manage to somehow (!) exempt themselves from the process.

FYI, it looks like abpn updated the website today. Didn't think they'd do it on a Saturday, but they did. If you check folios, it will have the results. Just found out I'm officially board certified! Now I can stop obsessively checking the site!

Such a relief!!!

I do think it is highway robbery that they charge us close to what we make in a month, just for a multiple choice exam, then take 3 months to grade it, and don't even bother to inform us when the results are posted. Dunno why we all put up with it, guess we have no choice.

Mine says "Certified on 09/19/2013 certification contingent on meeting MOC requirements"

It seems that all the maintenance of certification requirements are met. Am I board certified or not?

Mine says "Certified on 09/19/2013 certification contingent on meeting MOC requirements"

It seems that all the maintenance of certification requirements are met. Am I board certified or not?

Yes, you are, congrats to you too! I believe its supposed to mean that you have to continue to keep MOC requirements over the next 10 years (or more..) to maintain your certification.

Also, if you click the "Click to view" button next to "Exam history" it should give you the test Grade.. "Pass"

Board certified. :D:thumbup: Congratulations to everyone else who passed!

First found out on the ABPN site on 11/16, got emailed on 11/18 and received my confirmation letter on 11/19 (letter was postmarked on 11/15).

Everybody sort of gets a piece of the pie, you'd better go out and buy a lot of eggs. If I may use myself for an example:

1) I subscribe the Continuum, so long as I fill out the quizzes at the end, its keeps my CME current, it just cost about $380 per year extra in addition to the $450 AAN membership. I also am behind and have to do a PIP module, about $160?
2) I have to do 30 level 1 AOA credits every so often, which is near impossible? Ever heard of any good AOA neurology conferences? So long as you go to some sort of big AOA conference every other year, such as their Fall conference, you are covered.
3) I have a UCNS Certificate in Headache Medicine. I pretty much have to go to at least one headache conference per year in order to keep up on their MOC.
4) I have a license in TX and PA. TX requires ethics CME to maintain a license. Opportunities for approved ethics CME are scarce, BUT if you join the Texas Neurological Society and go to their annual conference, you will be covered as they always have an hour ethics lecture scheduled
5) PA requires some sort of pallative care/pain CME garbage every so often. They mail you the stuff, you complete and pay $95

Its all a mafia, so to speak. Funny thing is, the men and women who are sitting down mapping out all of this crap have grandfathered in for life. Good for them.

One of our aged attending personally apologized to us for having to go through these craps just to keep the certifications. He feels it is his personal fault for not having done enough to prevent this from happening.

My question is what happens if we choose not to take the board exam and just practice without the certification? What is the true negative consequences if I remain in private practice? My understanding is that one could totally ignore AOA and their "requirements" altogether.

One of our aged attending personally apologized to us for having to go through these craps just to keep the certifications. He feels it is his personal fault for not having done enough to prevent this from happening.

My question is what happens if we choose not to take the board exam and just practice without the certification? What is the true negative consequences if I remain in private practice? My understanding is that one could totally ignore AOA and their "requirements" altogether.

Again, these are like mafias.

One hospital that I am on staff at requires board certification. We had one OB/GYN that failed her recert, so he is no longer on staff there. I have heard others claim that Medicare may reimburse you less if you are not board certified. Now, don't quote me on that.

I don't think that board certification is a bad thing. I am not against us all having to take a "competency test". What I am against are the "forced" CMEs that we have to take (and spend money on) in order to keep said certification.

Some states, e.g. Pennsylvania, have a different licensing board for osteopathic physicians. Try to get a license there without paying your dues to the AOA.

Response to bustbones:

I agree with your comment, but the board certification exam should not cost $2,700, and no one should be exempt from the recertification process. If a 75 year old neurologist who doesn't know what tRNA is can't pass the exam, too bad. If this form of competency is important for junior neurologists, it should be important for senior neurologists.

The cynic in me feels that someone is pocketing the money

Response to bustbones:

I agree with your comment, but the board certification exam should not cost $2,700, and no one should be exempt from the recertification process. If a 75 year old neurologist who doesn't know what tRNA is can't pass the exam, too bad. If this form of competency is important for junior neurologists, it should be important for senior neurologists.

Not sure exactly what happens to the money? Indeed, it is almost a sin to ask somebody to shell out that much cash for a computerized exam.

I am certainly not part of any AAN inner circle. My impression is, like anything else, it tends to be a club. Bear in mind that its only a matter of time before the Juniors become the Seniors and then perhaps changes will be made?

If a 75 year old neurologist who doesn't know what tRNA is can't pass the exam, too bad. If this form of competency is important for junior neurologists, it should be important for senior neurologists.

I'm going to guess that I'm the only one on this forum who has actually taken the neuro recert exam.
I'm also all for keeping up competency, but this test (and probably any kind of "one shot" exam) is not the way to do it.
Believe me, there ain't nothin' about tRNA on that test -- it's designed to measure some degree of (very) minimal competence.
If you can't pass the recert exam, you are probably beyond incompetent, and possibly even meet criteria for brain death.
By analogy, imagine if LeBron James had to "recertify" to be a pro basketball player and the test consisted of "Here, hold this ball in your hands."

bustbones26 said:
Indeed, it is almost a sin to ask somebody to shell out that much cash for a computerized exam.

Indeed indeed. Back in the good ol' days of oral exams, at least you felt that you were getting a good reaming for your money . . .

This.