ABPS vs ABIM for board certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dooriam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Given the latest happenings over at ABIM I have been putoff by them and have been looking at options for board certification.i actually was scheduled to take the ABIM exam this fall but canceled. I am an M.D. so basically it's either ABIM or ABPS.

Does anyone know much about ABPS? I've gone through their website and talk with them briefly. Apparently the guy I want to tall to is at a coference currently however. I was told they are recognized in all 50 stays though. Any pros and cons for going with ABPS for internal med board certification vs ABIM?

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all. Given the latest happenings over at ABIM I have been putoff by them and have been looking at options for board certification.i actually was scheduled to take the ABIM exam this fall but canceled. I am an M.D. so basically it's either ABIM or ABPS.

Does anyone know much about ABPS? I've gone through their website and talk with them briefly. Apparently the guy I want to tall to is at a coference currently however. I was told they are recognized in all 50 stays though. Any pros and cons for going with ABPS for internal med board certification vs ABIM?

thanks!!
Pro: You don't have to give ABIM your money.
Con: Nobody will consider you board certified. You can't sit for a subspecialty exam. You have to give ABPS more of your money up front. Nobody will consider you board certified.

Hmm... that would be an issue. I thought they were recognized in every state and medicate/medicaid recognizes it...
Damn. I really don't want to give my money to ABIM

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the latest happenings? Can someone explain the issue?

Hmm... that would be an issue. I thought they were recognized in every state and medicate/medicaid recognizes it...
Damn. I really don't want to give my money to ABIM
Look, here's the thing. They can be "recognized in every state and by CMS" but that doesn't mean the people who actually hire you recognize them. Try applying for hospital privileges or a job and tell the people hiring that you're "Board Certified by a guy who's on vacation right now" and see how that works out. I mean, if the entire organization grinds to a halt because one dude is out of town, I think you have a pretty good picture of what this "board" is all about.

And if you're really serious about putting it to the ABIMan, I promise to "board certify" you in IM, EM, Peds, Surgery and Pathology as soon as you send me a cashier's check for $5000. Certification is good for 30 years. No exam necessary. There's a small annual CME certification maintenance fee (note that this is not the same as maintenance of certification...totally different) of $200 a year but that's basically free to be honest.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there anyone on here who has taken the ABPS exam in Internal Medicine? Have you actually had a hard time getting privelages, etc?

I promise to "board certify" you in IM, EM, Peds, Surgery and Pathology as soon as you send me a cashier's check for $5000. Certification is good for 30 years. No exam necessary. There's a small annual CME certification maintenance fee (note that this is not the same as maintenance of certification...totally different) of $200 a year but that's basically free to be honest.

I know you made this offer about 9 months ago, but is it still good?

But...

Is it a package deal? I mean, do I have to take the pathology certification? Can I have something else instead? Like neurosurgery? And I'd like to trade peds for cardiology. And I already have EM, so... hmm... how about anesthesia?

I know you made this offer about 9 months ago, but is it still good?

But...

Is it a package deal? I mean, do I have to take the pathology certification? Can I have something else instead? Like neurosurgery? And I'd like to trade peds for cardiology. And I already have EM, so... hmm... how about anesthesia?
Absolutely...any specialty goes. I just need to fire up MS Paint as soon as your check clears and the certificate will be posted on your Facebook page ASAP.