abscess vs cellulitis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmstud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between abscess and cellulitis? Can you tell which one is it in a retail setting?

Members don't see this ad.

Cellulitis is a diffuse inflammation of the skin, without a pocket of purulence amenable to drainage. An abscess has the localized purulent area and may be surgically drained. Abscesses often coexist with cellulitis, and the distinction may or may not be made between the two in a chart/what the patient is told they have.

You can visibly tell the difference between the two pretty easily - however, neither one can be treated with OTC items. So either way, send them to their PCP.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the difference between abscess and cellulitis? Can you tell which one is it in a retail setting?

Of course we can't diagnose, but Praziquantel is right; an abscess is localized and contained, whereas cellulitis is not. A person could certainly have both at the same time.

Plus, abscesses can occur anywhere in or on the body, whereas cellulitis is considered a skin disease, I'm pretty sure. At least, I've always seen it in that context. At one time, it was known as "erysipelas".

Plus, abscesses can occur anywhere in or on the body, whereas cellulitis is considered a skin disease, I'm pretty sure. At least, I've always seen it in that context. At one time, it was known as "erysipelas".

I dont agree that cellulitis and erisypelas are synonymous, I think there are some real, albeit small/subtle distinctions between them.

Cellulitis is infection of the underling fat tissue, it has a nondistinct, hazy border. Erisypelas is an infection of the lower layers of dermis (above the fat tissue level) and has a much sharper area of demarcation. Erisypelas is classically caused by strep, cellulitis can be caused by several organisms including strep.

Abscess is a localized, separated compartment of pus than can exist in any layer of skin or any other organ. Most common cause is staph for skin abscesses.

Interestingly several studies have shown that I&D by itself may be sufficient to treat many skin abscesses and that antibiotics may not be necessary. However, in clinical practice the de facto "standard" is still I&D + oral abx.

Erysipelas is a distinct entity, as mentioned above. The two are etiologically similar (primarily streptococcal) and difficult to distinguish clinically, but differences do matter. Erysipelas historically primarily affected the face while cellulitis tended towards the lower extremities, although I think that distinction has blurred (through epidemiological change or lack of differentiation of the two is difficult to say, though).

I dont agree that cellulitis and erisypelas are synonymous, I think there are some real, albeit small/subtle distinctions between them.

Cellulitis is infection of the underling fat tissue, it has a nondistinct, hazy border. Erisypelas is an infection of the lower layers of dermis (above the fat tissue level) and has a much sharper area of demarcation. Erisypelas is classically caused by strep, cellulitis can be caused by several organisms including strep.

Abscess is a localized, separated compartment of pus than can exist in any layer of skin or any other organ. Most common cause is staph for skin abscesses.

Interestingly several studies have shown that I&D by itself may be sufficient to treat many skin abscesses and that antibiotics may not be necessary. However, in clinical practice the de facto "standard" is still I&D + oral abx.

So, it looks like cellulitis is more of a general term and erysipelas is more specific. Thanks! For several years after I graduated, I was in a book club and one of the other people there was a dermatologist. A book we read had a reference to erysipelas, and I told her that I had never seen that on a chart but saw it mentioned in historical books and the old medical books I collect, and she said that she had seen it and diagnosed it a number of times. At least it's treatable nowadays; not so many years ago, as we know people who had this either got better, or they died.

just got pimped on this in the OR today during my surg rotation. The standout characteristic of abscess is "fluctuence", meaning that you can feel fluid inside in the induration. Cellulitis tends to be hard. One of the commenters above is right regarding the fact that abscess and cellulitis usually occur together.

Reactions: 1 user