ABSITE Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nifty. That's really the way to study, taking advantage of repetition in a useful manner.

So I take it you're not sure how its pronounced either? :prof:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be spending a fair amount of time commuting next year (one of our clinical sites, at which we'll spend approximately half of our rotations, is ~40 minutes away from where I'll be living), and am hoping for some up-to-date advice on audio study methods for the ABSITE. I found this post from a few years back: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...cds-for-surgical-review.826025/#post-11050046 which lists a few options, but since I'm not sure how often these audio files are updated, I was hoping for recent opinions on any of these (or other) sources.

I'll be spending a fair amount of time commuting next year (one of our clinical sites, at which we'll spend approximately half of our rotations, is ~40 minutes away from where I'll be living), and am hoping for some up-to-date advice on audio study methods for the ABSITE. I found this post from a few years back: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...cds-for-surgical-review.826025/#post-11050046 which lists a few options, but since I'm not sure how often these audio files are updated, I was hoping for recent opinions on any of these (or other) sources.
SESAP Audio is interesting for the interaction between surgeons but its really not a primary source; its more about "here's how I do it".

NY General Surgery Review is pretty good quality but pricey; if you could share with another resident then it becomes more reasonable.

Any other thoughts from other member surgeons of the forum? Not a lot of info out there. Dealing with a lot of commute this year and want to listen to surgery.

SESAP 15 audio? Is there such a thing?

Lastly, car does not have a CD reader, so I'd have to stream something or load files into cell - any ideas?

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Any other thoughts from other member surgeons of the forum? Not a lot of info out there. Dealing with a lot of commute this year and want to listen to surgery.

SESAP 15 audio? Is there such a thing?

Lastly, car does not have a CD reader, so I'd have to stream something or load files into cell - any ideas?

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
SESAP 15 Audio does indeed exist.

You can purchase it as MP3 files and stream from your phone which is how I do it.

There are also good podcasts out there which you may find valuable (and free).

Plus you can get a Droid app for free or an iphone/iPad app for a fee and use them on the go. I sense a 99 next year (not really)

It seems the link is not working, was wondering if someone can re post these. thank you in advance

I'm looking to listen to surgery board review audio on my downtime- can someone give recommendations as to what the best and most comprehensive audio review is?

I know there is

SESAP 15
The Osler Institute
NY General Surgery Audio Review
The audio Digest General Surgery Board Review

Any suggestions out of these or others not mentioned?

Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
It's depressing when you look up a sign you never heard of and the second image in Google images is straight from the exam... 95% of my program got that nonspecific sign wrong, including both prelim Rads residents...

Members don't see this ad :)
It's depressing when you look up a sign you never heard of and the second image in Google images is straight from the exam... 95% of my program got that nonspecific sign wrong, including both prelim Rads residents...
I so want to know what sign it was but don't want anyone to get in trouble :(

Said it before I'll say it again. Fiser. Green fields. That's it. Start when you finish med school. Notes in fiser to fill in gaps.
99th percentile, every year. It's all there. People make things too complicated. You have 10 sources you'll never even get through them all. Hit the above 2 hard, again, and again, and again. That's it. Easy plan. Hard work. Everything else is just to make you feel like you have given it your all when you were f-ing around

That said the ABSITE is a poorly constructed test and many answers can be obtained from word tense matching, other questions, topic patterns, elimination strategy etc. The board exam is not poorly constructed. Doing poorly on the ABSITE is a BAD sign. Doing well on the absite is certainly good but not absolutely indicative of performance on the board exam.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Did the same thing, and I'm certain it was the same question :laugh:. That one was very obscure.

Killed it this year. Current Surgical Therapy (Cameron) throughout the year, Fiser & his q book for a couple months, ABSITE killer last minute. Recipe for success.

Reactions: 1 users
Did the same thing, and I'm certain it was the same question :laugh:. That one was very obscure.

Killed it this year. Current Surgical Therapy (Cameron) throughout the year, Fiser & his q book for a couple months, ABSITE killer last minute. Recipe for success.
Got my best score as well, so it either didn't hurt me or was thrown out

My program give $300 towards something academic if you get >90th percentile... I've been close before (89th and 86th) but finally got over that hump, so now I gotta decide, Kindle vs use it with my $500 book money on a surface pro 3...

My program give $300 towards something academic if you get >90th percentile... I've been close before (89th and 86th) but finally got over that hump, so now I gotta decide, Kindle vs use it with my $500 book money on a surface pro 3...
#humblebrag

#humblebrag

I can get in on this... I re-did our didactics last year. Completely new curriculum, new textbook, new lecture format, less reliance on faculty, mostly resident/fellows teaching one another. Year on year improvement? Every single resident in the program improved with an average jump of 12%. #notsohumblebrag

ps. Surface pro 3 without question.

Doh!

You did!

I'm not sure what happened here: if I was trying to like the response on my phone but instead hit copy from a clipboard saved response etc.

Or maybe I'm just getting old and demented and don't know what I'm doing LOL

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
That Arizona sun... :)

By the way, the board has been a bit testy recently... leading up to Match Week, I guess. Good on you, and the other mods, for not allowing us to go totally nuts...

Does anyone have a copy of the ABSITE score tables that show PGY year, percent correct, and percentile? I know an older version is out there from 2007... I just was curious what a more up to date version would look like.

Also, if no one has said table, would anyone mind posting their PGY year, percent correct and percentile so I can get a feel for the spread?

cage92 said:
guys which book is best for absite and what question bank can i use online/

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/absite-blues.596164/

See the thread above. There's not one good book or question bank. However, most would agree that the Fiser book is excellent for quick, high-yield review. It will help more with the "Medical knowledge" portion of the test (24%) than it will with the rest.

Online question banks are often expensive and unproven...the newest players are BoardVitals ($100/month) and TrueLearn ($130/month), neither of which are proven to be valuable. We have an institutional subscription to boardvitals, and I thought they were just okay.

SCORE has lots of questions, many of which were apparently purchased through third-party vendors. There is value in the SCORE questions, but you have to wade through a lot of bad questions to find them. Most of us agree that SESAP questions are the best for ABSITE and the actual QE.

Cutting and pasting from another thread.

Thanks.

I haven't had to take the ABSITE for 6 years now, but it is my 5th year of proctoring the exam at my current institution. I'm casually sipping coffee and playing on SDN while my residents sweat it out...I'm definitely on the correct side of this equation...

Good luck to everyone! Hard work pays off.

Reactions: 4 users
last time taking the test! score report today...could have been much much worse

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone have a link to download Anki flashcards for the ABSITE?

With another ABSITE having come and gone and no updates to this thread in a year, was wondering if anyone had updated recommendations regarding references to use, Qbanks, etc.?