ABSITE score question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docno1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all
So i know that percent correct score varies from year to year and thats why the percentile varies too but here is my dilemma, does this sound right to you all
PGY 4 yr, Percent correct=76, Percentile 68
Last year i had 78percent correct with 91 percentile
I can only speak to this with my program or ABS once i get some idea from you guys especially the 4th years...
thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all
So i know that percent correct score varies from year to year and thats why the percentile varies too but here is my dilemma, does this sound right to you all
PGY 4 yr, Percent correct=76, Percentile 68
Last year i had 78percent correct with 91 percentile
I can only speak to this with my program or ABS once i get some idea from you guys especially the 4th years...
thanks for your help

Yes, that happened to me from PGY3 to PGY4 (same percent correct, different percentile).

The percentile scores are recalculated every year because the test is different every year. In years where the test is harder (based on percent correct and statistical analysis), a 75% correct will be a higher percentile. In years where the test is easier, a 75% correct will be a lower percentile. Keep in mind that one percent more or less right can change your percentile signficantly, especially the closer you are to the mean. They have charts showing percentiles/percent correct for all PGY years that they send to PDs. If you're really concerned, ask to see this.

However, as your PGY year increases, so does the the overall average/bell curve. In other words, most people get more overall questions right as they progress through training and the curve shifts accordingly and each year on average, the same percent right will result in lower and lower percentiles.

You got 2 percent more wrong as a PGY4 than as a 3. Your percentile went down, which seems to be appropriate. Be glad your percentile didn't go down even more....it could have, and in some years, it would have.