Abysmal OAT Scores, any chance of getting into UAB?

thehyrule97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently took the OAT and ended up with a TS: 270 and AA: 290 with my lowest score being 220 in physics. My individual scores were Bio/GenChem/Orgo/Reading/Physics/QR = 280/320/280/310/220/310. I've been studying for 2-3 months using a combination of coursesaver, kaplan practice tests and the ADA paid practice OAT. My Kaplan practice test scores were noticeably low which I thought was to be expected since they are harder tests but I somehow managed to pull a 340 AA on the paid ADA OAT but found it to be leagues easier than the real deal. I was confident I would at least break 300 due to my practice ADA score so I really didn't expect to score as low as I did but I'd have to wait another 3 months to retake the test & I want to apply early since it is rolling admissions. I've heard it's better for people with lower stats to apply earlier because of this. My goal is to make it into UAB since I went there for undergrad and it would be convenient to stay in the same area but with a score like that I feel that I need to consider other options. I realize I'm going to have to rely very heavily on other aspects of my application now. My overall GPA was a 3.62 which qualified me for graduating Cum Laude from UAB with a Bachelor's of Science in Biology. What are your guys' thoughts on these scores, do you think it is still possible for me to make it into UAB? Does UAB have a minimum OAT score? If not then what other schools do you recommend applying to around this area that may have a higher acceptance rate (Deep South/SouthEast US)?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I’m also scoring very low on my Kaplan practice test do you suggest I take more time ? I’ve been using Kaplan sled pace course mainly content review and practice

Hey I’m also scoring very low on my Kaplan practice test do you suggest I take more time ? I’ve been using Kaplan sled pace course mainly content review and practice
I would suggest continuing practice problems however I can't say I recommend Kaplan practice tests as they are leagues harder than the real deal & will only hinder your studying because you'll get discouraged. I also recommend against the ADA test because it uses very old OAT questions from when the exam was first created so those are leagues easier. If anything I would recommend the OAT Destroyer books and Chad's free OAT practice tests which he has on his website: Chad's OAT Practice Exams

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Did you hear back from UABSO about interviewing?
I did hear back. They said that my score would be too low and that I would need to retake and meet a minimum of at least a 290 TS and a 300 AA. I told them I could not retake again until November but they said that they would guarantee a spot for me if I could meet the minimum because I was told I was a great candidate outside of my OAT score. Though I can say it probably helped immensely that I was a UAB alumni and I already knew many of the faces around UABSO from my shadowing hours there.

I would suggest continuing practice problems however I can't say I recommend Kaplan practice tests as they are leagues harder than the real deal & will only hinder your studying because you'll get discouraged. I also recommend against the ADA test because it uses very old OAT questions from when the exam was first created so those are leagues easier. If anything I would recommend the OAT Destroyer books and Chad's free OAT practice tests which he has on his website: Chad's OAT Practice Exams
Thank you so much for your reply, my exam is scheduled for 9/19 but I think I’ll have to reschedule it