Academia as a career?

Started by jengle
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jengle

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,
I don't post in this forum often, but I read it almost every day. I read an interesting article on MSN.com yesterday about "Careers Where the Applicant has the Edge" and it listed postsecondary teachers as one of them. I had always heard that these typs of jobs were very hard to get and would be interested in your opinions on the topic. Below is a link to the article.

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Custom...a4bfe3f45b4e59b15d3d223607cef3-166793347-rt-1

Thanks! 🙂
 
well, you have to remember that the article is talking about academia in general. Many fields (business, english, education, CS, and a host of smaller social science/humanities fields) do not have many doctoral programs/candidates. Therefore it is easier to get a good position, it is easier to get a faculty position w/ a masters, etc. There are many faculty in these fields in my school that teach and work professionally in their trade. Many are adjunct or simply instructors/lecturers. Getting a tenure track position at a good school is difficult. The problem with these articles is simple, as people in many fields can tell you; there is a difference between easily being able to get a job and getting a GOOD job