Academia as a career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jengle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I don't post in this forum often, but I read it almost every day. I read an interesting article on MSN.com yesterday about "Careers Where the Applicant has the Edge" and it listed postsecondary teachers as one of them. I had always heard that these typs of jobs were very hard to get and would be interested in your opinions on the topic. Below is a link to the article.

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Custom...a4bfe3f45b4e59b15d3d223607cef3-166793347-rt-1

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

well, you have to remember that the article is talking about academia in general. Many fields (business, english, education, CS, and a host of smaller social science/humanities fields) do not have many doctoral programs/candidates. Therefore it is easier to get a good position, it is easier to get a faculty position w/ a masters, etc. There are many faculty in these fields in my school that teach and work professionally in their trade. Many are adjunct or simply instructors/lecturers. Getting a tenure track position at a good school is difficult. The problem with these articles is simple, as people in many fields can tell you; there is a difference between easily being able to get a job and getting a GOOD job