Turkishking

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Since I think my actual/only hobby is academia.. can I technically start producing videos on YouTube? These videos would be on Evolutionary Bio, Cell Bio, General Bio.. etc And could I list this as an EC if I get a decent following?

Many of my peers say I explain information very well.. So I've been considering it for a while.

Maybe just biology videos?

Reactions: SSSMDt

Chelsea FC

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
DUDE, go out and enjoy your life a little. Find a partner and drop that Turkish hammer a couple of times in undergrad. I am not on these forums alot but I already get the impression that you arent opening up yourself to growing socially in undergrad

Last edited:

Pagan FutureDoc

2+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2015
Status
MD/PhD Student
DUDE, go out and enjoy your life a little. Find a partner and drop that Turkish hammer a couple of times in undergrad. I am not on these forums alot but I already get the impression that you arent opening up yourself to growing socially in undergrad
I completely agree...Turkish, and I don't mean to be offensive but the way you carry yourself on here gives off the vibe of the 4.0 drone, and those don't fare well come application time. Live a little, have fun, make some stupid choices. Try sky diving or do some tye dying

TheBiologist

2+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2015
United States
Status
Pre-Medical

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Well here's the part I think you don't guys really comprehend.. I do have a social life. I do have friends I often see and talk with people at my institution. I'm not socially awkward. And if I was, I wouldn't be explaining material to other individuals who needed help. Yes I have a decent GPA and decent extracurriculars, and that's because I work hard. Maybe on the weekends I do something stupid, for instance smoke hookah with a bunch of friends. You guys can't just assume things. I did go on a few road trips during the summer which a few friends. I did get 5-6 contact information the first day of classes, and already established pretty good friendships. If I was "socially inept" and "stayed in my room all day" I wouldn't have the connections to gain a bunch of these extracurriculars. And academics is one of my hobbies. I'm not a 4.0 "drone". I balance out the goals out set, and my free time. Last summer, I saw my close friend(s) almost 3-4 days a week. I would still clinically volunteering 21 hours a week, and i would still have time to relax and just play video games.

So just answer the question, and don't give me advice on how to grow as a person because I know what im doing

What am I doing this weekend for many of the curious people? I'm calling a few friends and I'm gonna go smoke, maybe go to the movies on with one friend, or go to a restaurant with another friend.

And if I wasnt passionate medicine, I wouldn't go the extra mile with all the EC's. Maybe I'm just very motivated? And I decided on this during my junior year of high school.
Saying that you got "5-6 contact information the first day of classes" doesn't exactly help your 'I'm not socially awkward' argument.

But about your question, you'd make more money and have a better CV entry by tutoring classes you're that confident in being able to teach. Yes a ton of pre-meds tutor, but that's because it's a great job. Maybe an adcom would think educational Youtube videos are neat, but they also might undervalue the time you spent on them. Also there are already a lot of educational videos out there from people with advanced degrees and a lot of teaching experience. Are you sure you'd actually be good enough at it for strangers to preferentially choose your videos? If you're that confident as a sophomore then go for it, but if you're just trying to improve your application with something you enjoy (teaching science), tutoring is the better bet in my opinion.

NonTrad16

2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I'd sooner try to join another company then start something anew. What's important for you? Teaching and helping people learn? Or video production? Or "changing the educational standard"? There are already major efforts that use the Internet to educate others, so unless you have a new idea or method, you'd much more efficiently make an impact by joining an established venture. Especially as someone with a year (or two, or three ) before pursuing medicine.

freak7

Stuck in a tacky hat
2+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Well here's the part I think you don't guys really comprehend.. I do have a social life. I do have friends I often see and talk with people at my institution. I'm not socially awkward. And if I was, I wouldn't be explaining material to other individuals who needed help. Yes I have a decent GPA and decent extracurriculars, and that's because I work hard. Maybe on the weekends I do something stupid, for instance smoke hookah with a bunch of friends. You guys can't just assume things. I did go on a few road trips during the summer which a few friends. I did get 5-6 contact information the first day of classes, and already established pretty good friendships. If I was "socially inept" and "stayed in my room all day" I wouldn't have the connections to gain a bunch of these extracurriculars. And academics is one of my hobbies. I'm not a 4.0 "drone". I balance out the goals out set, and my free time. Last summer, I saw my close friend(s) almost 3-4 days a week. I would still clinically volunteering 21 hours a week, and i would still have time to relax and just play video games.

So just answer the question, and don't give me advice on how to grow as a person because I know what im doing

What am I doing this weekend for many of the curious people? I'm calling a few friends and I'm gonna go smoke, maybe go to the movies on with one friend, or go to a restaurant with another friend.

And if I wasnt passionate medicine, I wouldn't go the extra mile with all the EC's. Maybe I'm just very motivated? And I decided on this during my junior year of high school.
If you do not wish to be judged by SDN, then do not post on SDN.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I'm worried about you, Turk. As I have advised you repeatedly, do what you love, and love what you do, and STOP trying to do things that you think will impress an Adcom.

EC = anything you do outside of school. Picking your nose could be an EC, but it's not something I'd list on an app. If you have hobbies, and I mean real hobbies, those those are ECs.

You're still engaging in a mindset that will either lead to lots of IIs followed by lots of rejections, because you won't have an ounce of enthusiasm for what you talk about in interviews, OR you'll burn out.

So form now on, if you have to ask "is this an EC?" or "Will this impress Adcoms?", don't do that activity.

Since I think my actual/only hobby is academia.. can I technically start producing videos on YouTube? These videos would be on Evolutionary Bio, Cell Bio, General Bio.. etc And could I list this as an EC if I get a decent following?

Many of my peers say I explain information very well.. So I've been considering it for a while.

DocMcMommy

5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2014
Were your "road trips" to tour medical school campuses? Because that's the kind of road trip I would expect from you after reading all of your posts.

It's fantastic that you love school and you have a passion for education, really. But, I think that what people are really trying to get you to see is that you can have interesting passions outside of academia. Or, at the very least, you should attempt to explore them before completely shutting them down.

Even with a ridiculously outstanding resume, you aren't guaranteed anything. You could possibly not become a doctor! You could be rejected from any other advanced degree program. Your entire academic dreams could crash and burn, and you would still have to go on and be a person afterward. If you strip all of your school activities/dreams away, who are you and what do you like to do?

And now go do those things. You like video games, make create your own video game club? Maybe you like learning about outer space or something, so you could go volunteer at the planetarium or something. Not everything you do has to directly correlate to a quality or experience you can put down on your resume. But, if you stop agonizing over it, I think you would find that most things you put real effort in will naturally develop skills and experiences that you could eventually discuss on your applications! But all I'm saying is that shouldn't be your primary goal for doing it.

I'm just rambling now, whatever. People have already said this to you a million different ways.

Reactions: Matthew9Thirtyfive

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Reactions: LivMoore and freak7

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat

Not necessary. What about spending more time in your relationship with your nurse SO?

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Nice, I'm sure you had a great GPA
He probably did. Having a social life lets you unwind and keeps you grounded. Things that help you focus on the long term

Spelling is fun.

Last edited:

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
OP
Turkishking

Turkishking

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I can never tell if this guy is a troll or just some poor kid who worries about getting into medical school as a sophomore. Stop doing things in your sophomore year just for the sake of getting into medical school.
So when application time rolls around I have nothing noteworthy to list but "I got drunk with my friends"?

I'm going to amp up the things I'm going to do. I'm going to increase the time I study, and add more leadership positions. Yes I am doing it for the sake of medical school because that's my goal.

Gurkhali

2+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
So when application time rolls around I have nothing noteworthy to list but "I got drunk with my friends"?

I'm going to amp up the things I'm going to do. I'm going to increase the time I study, and add more leadership positions. Yes I am doing it for the sake of medical school because that's my goal.
Straw man argument aside, you should just continue what you are doing and stop trying to perfect every aspect of your undergrad career. If academia is your only hobby, it might be time to explore new interest beyond getting smashed at random parties (this doesn't make you look like a social butterfly btw).

OP
Turkishking

Turkishking

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Straw man argument aside, you should just continue what you are doing and stop trying to perfect every aspect of your undergrad career. If academia is your only hobby, it might be time to explore new interest beyond getting smashed at random parties (this doesn't make you look like a social butterfly btw).
If you used your observational skills, and read the thread you would see Froggers post. I don't drink or party. I will do everything in my ability to make myself a perfect applicant and get to the top. Competition is what makes us great.

Gurkhali

2+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2016
Status
You're still engaging in a mindset that will either lead to lots of IIs followed by lots of rejections, because you won't have an ounce of enthusiasm for what you talk about in interviews, OR you'll burn out.
If you used your observational skills, and read the thread you would see Froggers post. I don't drink or party. I will do everything in my ability to make myself a perfect applicant and get to the top. Competition is what makes us great.
I'll just leave it at that. Do what you wish but your attitude doesn't paint a very nice picture of you as a person.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Spelling is fun.
Spelling on my phone using autocorrect while napping an 8-month old in a Tula is fun. But you wouldn't know about that since you don't have a social life.

Jul 28, 2016
Status
Both secondary applications and interviewers are going to ask about what you do for fun or where is the balance in your life. I've already had multiple interviewers ask me this. When you tell them that what you do for fun is tutor for MCAT or participate in research journal club, they're probably not going to be satisfied with your response. You're setting yourself up to have perfect stats on paper, and that's all well and good. But what you don't seem to understand is that there are many applicants with similar stats to your own who are also personable and relatable. When you apply to those choosy schools, which I imagine you will, they may pass you over for those other students.

You are not an island, in medical school and in just about any professional career. Admissions staff are looking to build a class of peers who will enjoy working with each other as well as other medical professionals. With the attitude you display here, I don't think I'd want to work with you or have you as a classmate.

mcatjelly

Meow
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Rarely studied on weekends. Got drunk with friends a few times a month. The only two things I did for the purpose of admissions were research and shadowing; did what I enjoyed otherwise. Got into two medical schools. Yes, I was initially waitlisted, and yeah, they're low tier schools, but I had the time of my life in undergrad and I'm going to be a doctor. Zero regrets there.

One of the things that surprised me the most when I started medical school was how many of my peers did really cool **** before matriculating that has nothing to do with medicine or academics, and how strongly they push the "work hard, play hard" sentiment. You certainly don't have to drink or party if that's not your definition of fun, but not doing so doesn't make you any more competitive or overall better than other applicants.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Sure.

Salt
Yup. My boots are salty from many underways and deployment. I have lots to talk about on med school interviews and secondaries. Don't hate.

OP
Turkishking

Turkishking

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
This kid's either a dud or he'll burn out. Either way no point wasting time here, man.
Sure we will see. I have a very strong mentality. I don't burn out easily. I basically had no summer, do you think I care?

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
You do realize you're trivializing the experiences of someone who has served and defended our country, right?
It's okay. I don't get offended by keyboard warriors on the Internet. ;)

Reactions: FindersFee5

Chelsea FC

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
@Turkishking I am not one to go crazy and bow down over respecting military personnel but your disregard for someone who served to fight for your freedom is sickening and proves that you are socially inept ..

Also @Matthew9Thirtyfive thank u for your service

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I like how he deleted the comment, then put me on ignore. Too bad it's still quoted
He's certainly free to post whatever he wants here (within the TOS, of course). I didn't lose sleep over Kaepernick, and I don't lose sleep over SDN posts. :)