Academic Awards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdgeTrimmer

Probationary Status
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How valuable are college/department academic awards? I noticed most of the awards are given to seniors in spring semester, so unless you are taking gap year those are too late for medical school apps.

Members don't see this ad.

According to Adcoms' preferences survey academic awards are ranked as having the lowest importance.

According to Adcoms' preferences survey academic awards are ranked as having the lowest importance.
Thanks. I do see colleges listing them in their students profiles though especially those who got merit scholarships.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I do see colleges listing them in their students profiles though especially those who got merit scholarships.
They also list students who speak multiple languages and graduated with degree in music, however this will have very insignificant impact if you don't have most important things (high GPA/MCAT, volunteering, etc).

Reactions: 1 user
They also list students who speak multiple languages and graduated with degree in music, however this will have very insignificant impact if you don't have most important things (high GPA/MCAT, volunteering, etc).
I am asking if candidate have high GPA/MCAT (say 3.9+ and 520+), research, volunteering etc.

I am asking if candidate have high GPA/MCAT (say 3.9+ and 520+), research, volunteering etc.
If the applicant has 3.9/520 and all other boxes are checked, I highly doubt they even need that award. It will not hurt but again, according to adcoms' preferences having academic awards is denoted as a factor of lowest importance when making a decision.

If you want to do it(and you obviously do) just go ahead and do it. It probably won’t mean much but you’ll feel better.

Last edited:
Frankly, unless it is something bizzare such as summa cum laude with a gpa of 3.6 due to grade deflation at the institution, seeing your GPA tells us that you are smart. We really don't need the school telling us that you won an award for top student in the chemistry department to see that you have the academic chops.

Phi Beta Kappa is about the only honor that I have seen impress adcom members.

Frankly, unless it is something bizzare such as summa cum laude with a gpa of 3.6 due to grade deflation at the institution, seeing your GPA tells us that you are smart. We really don't need the school telling us that you won an award for top student in the chemistry department to see that you have the academic chops.

Phi Beta Kappa is about the only honor that I have seen impress adcom members.
what if those are beyond academics like takes leadership also into account? also PBK at graduation needs 3.6 GPA but PBK as rising senior needs 3.9. Does that make a difference?

what if those are beyond academics like takes leadership also into account? also PBK at graduation needs 3.6 GPA but PBK as rising senior needs 3.9. Does that make a difference?

we see your gpa sliced and diced all kinds of ways. It doesn't much matter if the school or some outside organization honors you. It is the least important part of the application and not worth delaying your applicatoin over or worrying about.

we see your gpa sliced and diced all kinds of ways. It doesn't much matter if the school or some outside organization honors you. It is the least important part of the application and not worth delaying your applicatoin over or worrying about.
Thanks. Not planning to delay it. trying to figure out it's worth for son to spend time trying to get some of the awards (some need essays and LORs etc..) He is still hoping for PKB has a rising senior (they have a single digit hard cap).

Thanks. Not planning to delay it. trying to figure out it's worth for son to spend time trying to get some of the awards (some need essays and LORs etc..) He is still hoping for PKB has a rising senior (they have a single digit hard cap).
There are better uses of your time unless there is a scholarship attached and even then you need to do some math; you might have a better return just spending that time in regular employment.