Can you list "declined" awards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1165556

I was granted Fulbright ETA to Croatia but declined it after making a difficult decision to stay home (parents health) and continue my research instead.

Can I still list that I was a Fulbright ETA somewhere on the application and would I have to say I declined it as well?

Also, I understand that it won't mean much since I didn't actually do the service, but how much would something like this matter in terms of how it is viewed by admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why even bother? That's like telling medical schools "I got into Harvard for UG but turned it down for Ohio State." It really has no bearing on admissions if you don't pursue it and questions your integrity as to why you took an opportunity away from someone else who applied by declining.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was granted Fulbright ETA to Croatia but declined it after making a difficult decision to stay home (parents health) and continue my research instead.

Can I still list that I was a Fulbright ETA somewhere on the application and would I have to say I declined it as well?

Also, I understand that it won't mean much since I didn't actually do the service, but how much would something like this matter in terms of how it is viewed by admissions?
Focus on the things you did and that matter to you

Reactions: 2 users
I understand the desire to indicate "worthiness" by showing you received an honor, but it is not a traditional "award" you receive like a honor roll. Since you could not pursue the opportunity, I wouldn't mention it.

Why even bother? That's like telling medical schools "I got into Harvard for UG but turned it down for Ohio State." It really has no bearing on admissions if you don't pursue it and questions your integrity as to why you took an opportunity away from someone else who applied by declining.
I would not question why. They mention they applied and had to later turn it down to attend to family health matters. It is ludicrous to suggest that someone should not apply to something because they "should have known" their family would become ill or an emergency would happen in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I actually disagree with the others on this thread--even if you didn't do the service, being selected is an "award" which you can list just like you might list being on the dean's list or getting first place in a school-level competition. Whether or not it is a "meaningful" award if you didn't do the service just depends whether or not you have 15 other experiences that you would rather list. It would be lower on the list of things I would consider including.

Also, I am reasonably certain the OP didn't take the opportunity away from anyone. There is always an alternate for these sorts of things.

I actually disagree with the others on this thread--even if you didn't do the service, being selected is an "award" which you can list just like you might list being on the dean's list or getting first place in a school-level competition. Whether or not it is a "meaningful" award if you didn't do the service just depends whether or not you have 15 other experiences that you would rather list. It would be lower on the list of things I would consider including.

Also, I am reasonably certain the OP didn't take the opportunity away from anyone. There is always an alternate for these sorts of things.

If this were a research Fulbright I would agree but it an Fulbright English Teaching Assistant slot which is much less prestigious, IMHO. This is about as impressive as saying, "I was selected to be an organic chemistry TA at my college but decided to continue with my research endeavors instead."

Reactions: 1 users

Congratulations.

Sorry, but you don't list something you COULD have done but didn't.

If this were a research Fulbright I would agree but it an Fulbright English Teaching Assistant slot which is much less prestigious, IMHO. This is about as impressive as saying, "I was selected to be an organic chemistry TA at my college but decided to continue with my research endeavors instead."
Meh. I get that it’s much less prestigious, but this was a competitive application that the OP won. Whether it is worth including is a fair question (much like a number of other perfunctory awards), but my point is it is not disingenuous to list this as an award.