Academic Email Signatures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychGrad13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure this has been discussed before so if any of you know the link to previous threads please share as I could not find it...

Anyways, what do most of you use for email signatures regarding your academic status?

I used to use "master's candidate" but now that I am starting my PhD program I don't know if I should use "PhD Student" or "PhD Candidate", although being in my first year I've not actually advanced to candidacy yet. IDK maybe just "Graduate Student"... anyway let me know what you all think. I know it might seems a little unimportant, but I just want to be accurate.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go with "Ph.D. student." "Ph.D. Candidate" definitely wouldn't be appropriate at this stage.

I'd go with "Ph.D. student." "Ph.D. Candidate" definitely wouldn't be appropriate at this stage.

Are you a PhD student? That is, does your program require a masters coming in, so everyone is working on their PhD from the get-go, or are you earning a second masters en route to the doctorate?

Why not just go with "OP's Username, M.A." since you appear to have an MA now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I have my M.A., most people do in the program, some are coming straight from Undergrad. I was still going to put "M.A." at the end of my name.... I guess I'm trying to get a consensus of what most others do.

Are you a PhD student? That is, does your program require a masters coming in, so everyone is working on their PhD from the get-go, or are you earning a second masters en route to the doctorate?

Why not just go with "OP's Username, M.A." since you appear to have an MA now?

For awhile, I was "Actual Name, Pre-Doctoral Student, Department of Psychology, Specific University." Eventually, after I got my M.A., my DCT asked me what I'd have to do to become a "Doctoral Student." :). I changed it then, and will become a "Candidate" after I defend my proposal (hopefully soon!).

Yes I have my M.A., most people do in the program, some are coming straight from Undergrad. I was still going to put "M.A." at the end of my name.... I guess I'm trying to get a consensus of what most others do.

If your program is structured such that you earn an MA en route to the PhD, and this is a step you have to take (despite having a masters from another institution), I'd just go with "OP's username, MA." You're not technically a PhD student until you've advanced to candidacy. When newbies come into my program and their signature's state "PhD student" it's technically incorrect and is frowned upon.

If your program is structured such that you earn an MA en route to the PhD, and this is a step you have to take (despite having a masters from another institution), I'd just go with "OP's username, MA." You're not technically a PhD student until you've advanced to candidacy. When newbies come into my program and their signature's state "PhD student" it's technically incorrect and is frowned upon.

I don't even understand the point of saying something that is in between degrees. I'd just list whatever degree you actually have, not "student" or "candidate" because who cares?

I don't even understand the point of saying something that is in between degrees. I'd just list whatever degree you actually have, not "student" or "candidate" because who cares?

Actually, I agree. I think that anyone with a completed doctorate is going to roll their eyes at the incremental stuff, and your UG students (if you have to TA) aren't going to know what any of it means anyway. I know people who use "ABD" once they advance, but in terms of audience (folks who receive your emails) I'm not certain whom that would be tailored for (academics at other institutions whom you want to know that you're not just a terminal MA?).

Actually, I agree. I think that anyone with a completed doctorate is going to roll their eyes at the incremental stuff, and your UG students (if you have to TA) aren't going to know what any of it means anyway. I know people who use "ABD" once they advance, but in terms of audience (folks who receive your emails) I'm not certain whom that would be tailored for (academics at other institutions whom you want to know that you're not just a terminal MA?).

Yeah, I guess to me the people who actually cared about this in graduate school were the ones hung up on status and stuff. I never even had an email signature. Just created my very first one recently at my new faculty gig, as my department requires it!

I suppose it depends on your audience, but I would think saying things like "doctoral candidate" have the potential to create confusion, even if they are true.

Ya its actually that "frowned upon" bit that I'm trying to avoid, as we all know there are plenty of unspoken rules surrounding grad school. No I do not have to earn a second M.A. in this program, my status coming in is slightly more advanced than if I had come in with only my BA. But I think in general it probably doesn't really matter... i'll stick with "Doctoral Student" and call it a day. lol I feel like I've already given way too much thought to this.

Ya its actually that "frowned upon" bit that I'm trying to avoid, as we all know there are plenty of unspoken rules surrounding grad school. No I do not have to earn a second M.A. in this program, my status coming in is slightly more advanced than if I had come in with only my BA. But I think in general it probably doesn't really matter... i'll stick with "Doctoral Student" and call it a day. lol I feel like I've already given way too much thought to this.

Within my program we are strongly discouraged from using "doctoral student" or doctoral candidate as it has the potential to create confusion. We use "Psychological Trainee"

I used to use "Clinical Psychology Doctoral Training Program." But now I'm using "Doctoral Candidate" because that's what I am. :)

Would it be okay to simply use "Graduate student" if you are just starting a phd program where you get the masters en route?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be okay to simply use "Graduate student" if you are just starting a phd program where you get the masters en route?

I don't think there's anything "wrong" with it--I guess it could be helpful if you have to TA and don't have an MA yet. It would let your UG students know what your relationship to the university is.

Best thing to do might simply be to wait until you get to the uni and see what the pre-MA students one year ahead of you are doing. A lot of this stuff is subject to within-department norms which you'll quickly observe once you start choking on the glut of emails from the grad student listserve.

Yeah, here you just have to pass comps and appoint your committee.

From a gradPSYCH 2007 article on this very topic....

What's in a title?
By Zak Stambor

When Colorado State University counseling psychology graduate student Serenity Chambers began an externship at Front Range Community College in Fort Collins, Colo., she ran into a conundrum: Because the site had never before housed a counseling psychology graduate student, she had no idea what her title should be or how to explain her training. "It was tough because if I called myself a counselor, people would think that I'm a career or academic counselor," she says. "So the trick was to come up with another title that reflected my role and training."

Chambers and her supervisor eventually settled on counselor/psychotherapist to emphasize both her counseling training and diagnostic approach. Yet even before she started the job, a college administrator rejected the title "psychotherapist" because it suggested Chambers had already earned her degree. Chambers and her adviser swiftly changed the title to personal counselor.

Her confusion over how to characterize her training is not unique, says Gary Schoener, a licensed psychologist and executive director of the Walk-In Counseling Center in Minneapolis. Many psychology graduate programs don't discuss the topic in the classroom, he says, which leaves students unsure of how to describe their credentials.

That's why APA President and Ethics & Behavior Editor Gerald P. Koocher, PhD, urges students to be as clear and succinct about their current position and past experience as possible. "The ethical way for students to refer to themselves is whatever term applies to their current status and then to explain what that term means," he says. In doing so, students can head off any confusion and misunderstandings, he says.

A STANDARD INTRODUCTION
When on internship or practicum, students should ask about their agency's policies on how to identify themselves to clients before their first client encounter, says Schoener.

For instance, supervisors at the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System lead a professional behavior orientation that instructs trainees in introductions to provide their name, whether they are a practicum student, intern or postdoc, and their supervisor's name and contact information. "Patients need to know that they're working with a student, not a licensed professional staff member," says Jeanette Hsu, PhD, psychology service training director at the VA Palo Alto. She adds that in written communications, students should include their supervisor's name and contact information in case clients want to contact them.

At Schoener's center, he urges students to develop and practice an introduction with the same components that is also crisp and to the point. For instance, he suggests an introduction along the lines of, "My name is Gary Schoener, and I am an intern here who is supervised by Bob Smith. Here is his card. You are welcome to contact him at any time." "You need to be clear," Schoener says. "The job of the therapist is to get moving by establishing rapport and getting down to business as soon as possible. It behooves you to not waste time telling them about yourself. That's not what they came for." He adds that students should be prepared for inquisitive clients who will seek additional information about training and qualifications. Students who are unclear about their background could undermine their clients' confidence in the relationship, he says.

NOTE YOUR EXPERIENCE
Although titles vary greatly depending on site and circumstance, a title students should never use is "PhD candidate" or "doctoral candidate," says Koocher. The reason, he says, is that candidacy status may not mean much to the public, whose lack of understanding of psychology and academia may even cause them to confuse psychology and psychiatry. Although PhD or doctoral candidate may have meaning within an academic department, candidacy status varies by institution, and can indicate anything from first-year graduate students to students finishing their dissertation, he says. Moreover, when students state that they are PhD candidates they may be in violation of two principles in APA's Ethics Code-"Informed consent to therapy," which requires trainees to inform clients that they are in training and being supervised, and "Avoidance of false or deceptive statements," which prohibits psychologists from misrepresenting their training, competence, academic degrees or credentials--says Stephen Behnke, JD, PhD, director of APA's Ethics Office.

That's why Chambers now uses her introduction as an opportunity to educate clients who ask questions about her experience. "I like to emphasize my training," she says. "I tell them that even though I'm not licensed yet that doesn't mean that I don't have experience--I have more than 3,000 hours of experience over the past five years." Chambers, like many other graduate students, also notes her master's degree in written communication with clients.

Even in other types of programs, students such as Brad Brummel, an industrial and organizational (I/O) psychology student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, can note their master's degrees to lend credibility to their work. "Since I earned a master's degree, I note my degree as I say that I'm an I/O psychology doctoral student," he says. He says that most people I/O students consult for are more concerned about their prior business experience than the status of their academic training. Even so, Brummel makes certain that he's accurate when he presents himself. "You shouldn't say PhD expected or anything like that," he says. "Because you don't want to misrepresent who you are."

Admittedly the last part about being deceptive may be a bit more than the vast majority of students intend, I believe the part above it about "PhD Candidate" in an academic setting is pretty sound reasoning. The use of "Ph.D. Candidate" is particularly confusing because there is a clinical internship requirement that is a very real step towards the awarding of the doctorate that has not yet been completed.

Last edited:
I understand explaining to clients that you're a student, but is it really unethical to use "PhD candidate" in your email signature?

I also think "psychology trainee" is a lot less ambiguous than any of the student titles.

From a gradPSYCH 2007 article on this very topic....

Admittedly the last part about being deceptive may be a bit more than the vast majority of students intend, I believe the part above it about "PhD Candidate" in an academic setting is pretty sound reasoning. The use of "Ph.D. Candidate" is particularly confusing because there is a clinical internship requirement that is a very real step towards the awarding of the doctorate that has not yet been completed.

This issue came up when studying for the EPPP. It was clear from the materials that the use of the term "PhD Candidate" is potentially confusing, and therefore to represent oneself as such could be a violation of the ethics code. Not because someone is intentionally trying to misrepresent them self, but because they may inadvertently do so. Interestingly, this very issue came up as an ethics question on the actual exam I had taken!

In all honesty, when I see these kinds of signatures in emails from trainees, I roll my eyes. Just go with:

First Last, MA
Department of Psychology
Your University Here
Address
Email
Phone
Fax

This issue came up when studying for the EPPP. It was clear from the materials that the use of the term "PhD Candidate" is potentially confusing, and therefore to represent oneself as such could be a violation of the ethics code. Not because someone is intentionally trying to misrepresent them self, but because they may inadvertently do so. Interestingly, this very issue came up as an ethics question on the actual exam I had taken!

In all honesty, when I see these kinds of signatures in emails from trainees, I roll my eyes. Just go with:

First Last, MA
Department of Psychology
Your University Here
Address
Email
Phone
Fax

Ditto :D

Yeah, the only students (in our program) I see using "PhD student" or anything remotely similar are the ones who are hung up on themselves. Otherwise, degree after name and that's about it for most of us.

Mine has evolved like this:

ENS Mark P
Clinical Psychology Graduate Student
Dept of Medical and Clinical Psychology

LTJG Mark P, MS
Clinical Psychology Doctoral Candidate

LT Mark P, MS
Clinical Psychology Intern
Naval Medical Center X

and will soon be:

LT Mark P, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Naval Hospital X

Thank you, Mark. This suggestion was very helpful!

Mine has evolved like this:

ENS Mark P
Clinical Psychology Graduate Student

LTJG Mark P, MS
Clinical Psychology Doctoral Candidate

LT Mark P, MS
Clinical Psychology Intern
Naval Medical Center X

and will soon be:

LT Mark P, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Naval Hospital X

I had a follow-up thought about academic email signatures. I hate it when I get emails from people with crazy signatures - tons of colors, alters the background, huge fonts. It is really annoying because it also affects your own response text sometimes.

I also am not a big fan of the pictures and quotes that some people throw in there.

Pragma T. Kirk, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor

Department of Raven Training
University of The Iron Throne
555 West Jessica Alba Drive
Los Angeles, CA 55555
[email protected]

That's it!

I had a follow-up thought about academic email signatures. I hate it when I get emails from people with crazy signatures - tons of colors, alters the background, huge fonts. It is really annoying because it also affects your own response text sometimes.

I also am not a big fan of the pictures and quotes that some people throw in there.

Pragma T. Kirk, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor

Department of Raven Training
University of The Iron Throne

555 West Jessica Alba Drive
Los Angeles, CA 55555
[email protected]

That's it!

:thumbup:

That's how my signature will look, once I actually have an office address and all. Until then, it's set pretty similarly to Markp's.

I do definitely think including contact information in the signature is helpful. Anything beyond that and your title, though, does seem pretty superfluous. Especially the altered fonts and colors, embedded images, and "motivational" quotations.

and will soon be:

LT Mark P, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Naval Hospital X

Not sure how it works in the military, but some states actually regulate the term "clinical psychologist."

In my state, you can graduate with a Ph.D. in clinical psychology, but you aren't allowed to call yourself a clinical psychologist until you have obtained your license.

I just told people that I was a psychologist while I was on postdoc and explained what part of my training I was at to patients. Had I put "Clinical Psychologist" in my email signature, I technically would have been breaking the law.

In all honesty, the title stuff doesn't seem like a huge deal. It's a little weird to me - I told someone I was a neuropsychologist last week and it felt kind of awkward. It might just be my own personality, but I prefer just to say "Hey, I'm Pragma. Wassup?" Then of course there is the fist pumping :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds crazy signatures irritating - it seems like so many people are doing it now I've been afraid to mention it!

I have to clean out my inbox twice as often because now every time some random staff member sends me a one-line email, it contains contact information, an additional page of random quotation they snagged from google, all saved as a high-res image so we can still their name in pink calligraphy even if our software doesn't support it. I'm all for a decorating one's office to make the place a little more friendly, but things like this seem to have gotten a little out of control.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds crazy signatures irritating - it seems like so many people are doing it now I've been afraid to mention it!

I have to clean out my inbox twice as often because now every time some random staff member sends me a one-line email, it contains contact information, an additional page of random quotation they snagged from google, all saved as a high-res image so we can still their name in pink calligraphy even if our software doesn't support it. I'm all for a decorating one's office to make the place a little more friendly, but things like this seem to have gotten a little out of control.

+1
Sometimes I think I'm the only one in my program without a quote from Tupac, 50 Cent, or Dead Prez at the end of my emails. Maybe I just need to find a pithy quote from the lead singer of Procol Harum or Jethro Tell?