Academic GI salary ranges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scope guy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
happened to see a post in PCCM forum discussing academic PCCM salaries. Below is copy paste of a reply in that thread

"Assistant Professor salaries (on clinical track) - note that research track positions will generally pay less
Minnesota - 240K
Mayo - 230-250K
Loyola - 250K
Rush - 250-300K
Michigan - 170K
Indiana - 240K
Ohio State - 240K
WashU (St. Louis) - 180K
Saint Louis University - 280K
Kansas - 300K
UT Southwestern - 250K
Penn - 180K
UCLA - 350-400K clinical track, $210 research track"

Anyone happened to know similar data for academic GI salaries(non VA)? Post salaries for whatever universities one know.

Mayo starts at 325k, KU in the range of 350k. SUNY Stonybrook/Syracuse/Brooklyn/Buffalo 180k range

Members don't see this ad.

Won't name specific names but a few academic gi programs in the south are base starting 270-280k not including benefits or productivity is typical starting range

Wow, compensation is much lower than I thought for academic GIs...I thought they were making at least 400K+. Not the case since they're not scoping/seeing patients all day i assume?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, compensation is much lower than I thought for academic GIs...I thought they were making at least 400K+. Not the case since they're not scoping/seeing patients all day i assume?

In 1990 that was more common of a starting salary.

Reactions: 1 user
In 1990 that was more common of a starting salary.

Wow...I feel like those salaries are on par with an internist...or am I missing something? Are they scoping like one day a week, two days of clinic and then two days of administrative work/research?

Wow...I feel like those salaries are on par with an internist...or am I missing something? Are they scoping like one day a week, two days of clinic and then two days of administrative work/research?
Academic internists start at like 150-180k. Gi gets substantially more than that.

Late to the party but many academic GI physicians do not work a full clinical load due to research, teaching, administration, etc. Compensation for a full-time clinician at an academic center will be significantly higher than the numbers quoted above, especially after factoring in productivity bonuses.

What are private practice numbers floating around? Im sure there's a ton of variability but what would you say is a normal starting salary to receive?

What are private practice numbers floating around? Im sure there's a ton of variability but what would you say is a normal starting salary to receive?
a friend of mine started 340k general GI in the tristate area

I wonder if its common to see packages like that in major cities

Its not. Evansville is a small city with population of 100k plus its Indiana. Starting academic jobs I have seen are in range of 300k starting, some could be more of course depending on city population, competition and faculty responsibilities.

Package above is probably what you would get in towns such as Evansville.

The brochure has more nps than docs. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the future projection based on the current trends. Though, I'm assuming youre one of the current attendings who uses nps to increase your revenue, not caring about the generation below you. Seems to be a common sentiment.
You do realize that those NPs don’t actually do any scopes, right? Nor do they see any hepatology, Ibd, or complex GI cases. Their entire purpose is to funnel abdominal pain and anemia patients into the GI suite.

I don’t have any midlevels, but yes, I don’t actually care for the generation below me. Why should I?

Last edited:
You do realize that those NPs don’t actually do any scopes, right? Nor do they see any hepatology, Ibd, or complex GI cases. Their entire purpose is to funnel abdominal pain and anemia patients into the GI suite.

I don’t have any midlevels, but yes, I don’t actually care for the generation below me. Why should I?
Agreed. NPs have a role in GI and, unlike in some specialties, know what their limitations are. Treating hep c or frequent visits for functional complaints allow MDs to do more procedures and treat new or more complex patients while also being there to help with questions.

That's my type of business model... As a med student who thinks I am interested in some of the surgery specialties, I definitely need to give GI a fair shake

I see the np plague is starting to overwhelm gi too. I guess they werent smarter enough to learn from the anesthesia folks. Another one down. Sad.
In a mid sized metro >1mil catchment, We struggle to recruit enough GI APRNs let alone gi docs overall and next available screening colonoscopy or new 1st clinic visit is in September....if you aren't in Boston, SF or NY, you are in demand, and there is more work to go around than anyone can keep up with