GI hospitalist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buddy17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience to share working as a GI hospitalist? Just doing GI consults for a medium sized hospital and inpatient procedures (general GI), 7 days on 7 off with a PA. Is this something where one would get burned out after a year or two? Average salary experience for this type of job?

Members don't see this ad.

Its actually a decent model, depending on level of complexity of cases. Do they have GI with ERCP to help out with biliary cases?

I have considered it, if the money is good, I might jump ship from traditional model

Members don't see this ad :)
Just consults sounds great. But I’ve seen job postings where you’re primary team for GI admissions. Not sure that would be as ideal.

Just consults sounds great. But I’ve seen job postings where you’re primary team for GI admissions. Not sure that would be as ideal.
this is non existent today with extensive hospitalist programs in place everywhere

Just consults. When on it's 24/7 as in you could get called at night depending on the night. Not primary team. There is ERCP coverage that you would transfer out for.

this is non existent today with extensive hospitalist programs in place everywhere
I get what you’re saying. But NEJM has GI hospital jobs available where GI is primary and does consults. They have an APP or resident to take most call but still have rounding. I wouldn’t want the job, but it seems to still exist.

There's a GI hospitalist national group if anything is interested. DM me your contact info and I'll get you connected