Academic Internships Insights for Small Animal Rotating

Started by Lisagk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lisagk

UW-Madison c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! Sorry if this discussion has already been posted recently - I've not been keeping up with forums.
Just wanted to know if recent graduates of academic internship programs can give a review to the institution in which they did a small animal internship at. I'm a 4th year and looking to go into dermatology residency (unless I fall in love with something else haha)
Particularly I'm interested to know if:

1) you were happy(ish)? Were other interns happy? what about clinicians/nurses/students?
2) What was your typical week like?
3) What was the culture like? Positive? negative? toxicity?
4) Was it a supportive and encouraging environment?
5) Things you wish you knew beforehand
6) Salary amount & benefits?
7) Cost of living?
8) What improvements would you like to see in the future for that program?
9) Overall, would you recommend it?

Thanks so much!
 
Hi! Sorry if this discussion has already been posted recently - I've not been keeping up with forums.
Just wanted to know if recent graduates of academic internship programs can give a review to the institution in which they did a small animal internship at. I'm a 4th year and looking to go into dermatology residency (unless I fall in love with something else haha)
Particularly I'm interested to know if:

1) you were happy(ish)? Were other interns happy? what about clinicians/nurses/students?
2) What was your typical week like?
3) What was the culture like? Positive? negative? toxicity?
4) Was it a supportive and encouraging environment?
5) Things you wish you knew beforehand
6) Salary amount & benefits?
7) Cost of living?
8) What improvements would you like to see in the future for that program?
9) Overall, would you recommend it?

Thanks so much!
VIRMP also has reviews from the different programs
 
Hey, I think your best bet will be looking at the VIRMP surveys and reaching out to past interns in the fall once all the programs get listed.

My program wouldn’t be a good fit for you because we barely ever have dermatology on. Feel free to message me if you want to know where that was; for privacy reasons I’m not comfortable sharing that information publicly.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I think your best bet will be looking at the VIRMP surveys and reaching out to past interns in the fall once all the programs get listed.

My program wouldn’t be a good fit for you because we barely ever have dermatology on. Feel free to message me if you want to know where that was; for privacy reasons I’m not comfortable sharing that information publicly.
Thanks so much! I'm gonna message you