Academic Jobs and Faculty Tracking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enkidu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like the way to get a job in the private sector is to make connections and cold-call groups and all of the networking stuff, but how do you go about getting a job in academia?

I want to think that in a person with demonstrated interest in academia, getting a job in academic pathology shouldn't be too difficult. Is this the case?

Also, for those going into academic pathology, what are the benefits of going into a clinician-educator track versus a clinician-researcher track? I'm wavering in my desire to pursue basic research in the future (because I'm doing my candidacy exam right now, probably), and I think I'd like to spend a significant amount of time in education. Is one track more likely to get tenured? Are clinician-educator jobs more rare?

Members don't see this ad.

Grease the wheels.

Butter up your faculty, perform well on service, do projects with them. That way they think of you whenever someone asks them if they know of a talented resident. And your CV gets longer which helps. And practice your talks because many academic jobs require you to give an interview talk.

Any ideas about faculty tracking?

It seems like the way to get a job in the private sector is to make connections and cold-call groups and all of the networking stuff, but how do you go about getting a job in academia?

I want to think that in a person with demonstrated interest in academia, getting a job in academic pathology shouldn't be too difficult. Is this the case?

Also, for those going into academic pathology, what are the benefits of going into a clinician-educator track versus a clinician-researcher track? I'm wavering in my desire to pursue basic research in the future (because I'm doing my candidacy exam right now, probably), and I think I'd like to spend a significant amount of time in education. Is one track more likely to get tenured? Are clinician-educator jobs more rare?
Different institutions have different tracks. Clinical tracks are usually non-tenure tracks but there are exceptions. Research tracks can result in tenure but this track is associated with obvious pressures.

Please refer to my previous post...I don't have time to type this up all again.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9729048&postcount=6

It's been a while since I posted this but my opinions on this matter have not changed much.