Academic Podiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footdocmaybe

Reaction score
So a big time university offered me a salary of 140k with full benefits and a little salary bump per year

However I’m making 200k per year now working for a family physician. Sounds like an easy decision however I don’t know how long this family physician will practice for and I don’t want to be too dependent on him. What would you guys do?

Members don't see this ad.

So a big time university offered me a salary of 140k

To do what? You can cut toenails 4 days a week and make $140k. Pretend you are a real doctor for a minute and ask yourself if you should take a $140k salary for any job.

Unfortunately someone will take it and continue to apply downward pressure on compensation for the rest of us. Thanks Podiatry.

Reactions: 1 users
So a big time university offered me a salary of 140k with full benefits and a little salary bump per year

However I’m making 200k per year now working for a family physician. Sounds like an easy decision however I don’t know how long this family physician will practice for and I don’t want to be too dependent on him. What would you guys do?

I have never heard of an employed university position with such a garbage salary.

Edit: brand new account. Lowell, that you bud?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To do what? You can cut toenails 4 days a week and make $140k. Pretend you are a real doctor for a minute and ask yourself if you should take a $140k salary for any job.

Unfortunately someone will take it and continue to apply downward pressure on compensation for the rest of us. Thanks Podiatry.
I mean the only reason why I’m considering it is because I will eventually be making about 200 K per year in about six or seven years. And even in the first year I could potentially make up to 160 K with bonuses

I mean the only reason why I’m considering it is because I will eventually be making about 200 K per year in about six or seven years. And even in the first year I could potentially make up to 160 K with bonuses
You really haven't given enough information. Academic can mean a lot of things. Will you work with residents? Will you be expected to publish? Will you have protected time for research? Will you be surgical? Are you at a main campus or a satellite? The MD forums describe how some "academic" hospitals are really all over the place - some of the doctors are truly academic while others essentially are working for a corporation with a fancy title but don't teach residents and are expected to churn. The local academic hospital in my local hired a podiatrist in which the ad stated they wanted an "experienced surgeon, etc" but the person entirely does wounds/pus.

Historicallyl academic east coast places don't pay well. I don't know if that's where you are or if this hospital just knows what a podiatrist is "worth".

If you are expected to churn, take call, and see inpatients this $140K may be a painful experience. Perhaps you will be expected to occasionally lectures. You may enjoy this or not. If you've grown accustomed to making $200K there may be some belt tightening ahead.

Reactions: 3 users

I make about 230k at a university and I am non surgical. My first surgical job was 150. They have endocrine fellows following me every month, I am doing a presentation next month. Plus I am being called by md/phd students. I am part of a diabetes panel next week. If they have seeing patients and asking to do stuff like that I wouldn't take that job for 140.

Reactions: 2 users

Awful job

Reactions: 2 users
Too low of a salary. See if you can negotiate a base of 200k. 240 base at a hospital including academia is pretty standard imo for podiatry.

Reactions: 1 user