academic programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geekgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all. i'm an MD/PhD going into gen surg. i'm looking to find programs that emphasize teaching, research, hands-on experience with really quick faculty/residents. i want to work with smart, hard-working people who are fun and non-malignant. i know such programs must exist. wondering what people thought of places like UPenn, Hopkins, Cornell. have heard mixed things about Mass Gen. am looking for resident perspective and enjoyment of life, not just big name bullsh**. basically want to be somewhere with good people who like what they do. did research at the nih and loved the caliber of people/work ethic there.

Members don't see this ad.

You should take a good look at Vanderbilt.

I'm applying in plastics but I interviewed at some gen surg programs as well, and Vandy was by far the most impressive gen surg program I saw. It had all the qualities you claim to be looking for in a program, and while I hope to match in plastics elsewhere (they don't have a combined/integrated program), I would consider myself lucky if I could train there in g-surg.

Pittsburgh and Cincinnati both struck me as such programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
geekgirl said:
i'm looking to find programs that emphasize teaching, research, hands-on experience with really quick faculty/residents. i want to work with smart, hard-working people who are fun and non-malignant.

UVa - terrific program. The seconday application that many on this board deride is their effort to identify smart, fun, hardworking, non-malignant people

I'd have to boost University of Colorado to fit these goals. I never imagined myself being this happy at a strong university program. The program director and chairman create a great environment and a few of the residents are working hard to bring in people who will fit in and keep the atmosphere pleasant.

I have also heard good things about UVa, although we have drawn quite a few med students from there if that tells you anything.

RedBlanket,

Could you please tell us more about Colorado? A friend did his intern year there and was miserable. What is your frame of reference and opinion of the program?
Any input is greatly appreciated.

E