Academic Psychiatry Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
With any loan repayment program at the VA you will have to demonstrate you're paying up front before they give you any money back as a "reimbursement".

I don't know if it is taxable. It's too little and too late for many people as the cost of debt steadily increases.

Members don't see this ad.

With any loan repayment program at the VA you will have to demonstrate you're paying up front before they give you any money back as a "reimbursement".

I don't know if it is taxable. It's too little and too late for many people as the cost of debt steadily increases.

That money I think is tax free from the VA which makes it much better than it seems. Its somewhat absurd that I get zero tax benefit for paying back my 1/4 million in loans. Similarly getting reimbursed for CME/Boards/Liscense from your company is fantastic because it is tax free (as it should be). When you pay post tax $2400 for boards, it burns.

There are other reasons. Speaking from someone who's going through a departmental restructuring, often what you call "lacking common sense" is deliberate and not exactly what you think. They want to get rid of people like you, and if you don't stay, it means the job is not meant for someone like you. For example, they might want to reserve space for their researchers to take a certain %FTE, or outsource their non-profitable ER work to PTers for cheap. Point being, unless you are a revenue center rather than cost center, there's no incentive for the institution to keep you, and instead of firing you outright (and having to deal with ramifications of that), they can create bizarre arrangements as you described and basically force you to leave. You could negotiate, but it's not a guaranteed win, since in general until at very senior levels, what you can provide is hardly unique.

Institutions that employ you, especially in America, are never on your side. At best, there are interests that are incidentally aligned. At worst, your relationships are entirely instrumental. Your position would change if you OWN a part of the institution rather than being an employee (e.g. equity partner at a practice, or tenured professor at a university, or hold an endowed chair position, etc).

I can assure you that your initial point is not the case here. My department is short-staffed and they need people like me. They are simply incompetent when it comes to "people management" and if this were a private company they would cause the company to tank.

Reactions: 1 user