Academic suspension record from near 10 years ago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This post is for my uncle~!

He graduated from college during 2001~2 (don't know exact date, but I'm sure it's around then)

I guess he was having some hard time during undergraduate school, because he has a poor academic record during undergrad: 2.99(8)GPA, 2 academic misconducts resulted in 2 quarters suspension in 4-year State University, etc. Surprise he graduated...

Then, after working/fooling around for couple years, he went back to school (graduate school) recently, and is now finishing up his masters in public health this year. His grade seems to be fine, mostly A's and couple B's, but definitely better (cleaner) than undergraduate record.

I guess he wants to go to med school pretty seriously, and asked me if the undergraduate record is still going to kill him in the process, even if he got mostly A's in the graduate school...

Is this possible? I told him the chances will be very low for him, but wasn't sure how badly his undergraduate transcript will affect him at this point.

Anyone have ideas/references for him?

**Harsh truths are fine, but PLEASE, PLEASE! Don't be rude. :mad: My uncle is a member of the network, too! He just wanted me to ask this for him...

Members don't see this ad.

He graduated from college during 2001~2 (don't know exact date, but I'm sure it's around then)

I guess he was having some hard time during undergraduate school, because he has a poor academic record during undergrad: 2.99(8)GPA, 2 academic misconducts resulted in 2 quarters suspension in 4-year State University, etc. Surprise he graduated...

Then, after working/fooling around for couple years, he went back to school (graduate school) recently, and is now finishing up his masters in public health this year. His grade seems to be fine, mostly A's and couple B's, but definitely better (cleaner) than undergraduate record.

I guess he wants to go to med school pretty seriously, and asked me if the undergraduate record is still going to kill him in the process, even if he got mostly A's in the graduate school...

Is this possible? I told him the chances will be very low for him, but wasn't sure how badly his undergraduate transcript will affect him at this point.

**Harsh truths are fine, but PLEASE, PLEASE! Don't be rude. :mad: My uncle is a member of the network, too! He just wanted me to ask this for him...

I think that your uncle should do a post-bacc program to prove that he's got the academic ability needed for medical school. The MPH will look good to adcoms but not as good as a post-bacc

First, the question is better suited for the nontrad board as traditional premeds have less experience with this kind if question. Second, graduate GPA is pretty meaningless -- he is going to need to do something regarding his undergrad grades. Third, I agree with the above notion that he's going to need to retake all the prereqs at some informal postbac and get A's, both because if his bad GPA and because it has been a decade.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think he could retake some of the courses he did bad in, maybe some prereqs, and use those towards to DO grade forgiveness. It also wouldnt hurt to retake the prereqs since he hasnt seen the material for ten years.
Good luck to him!

When you say that the MPH will no be as good as a post bacc. what do yo mean? If i didn't get accepted when I applied I was going to go along this route and pursue a MPH in health promotion and community health sciences with a concentration in border health from A&M. Can you give me some insight on some good Post Bacc. programs.

When you say that the MPH will no be as good as a post bacc. what do yo mean? If i didn't get accepted when I applied I was going to go along this route and pursue a MPH in health promotion and community health sciences with a concentration in border health from A&M. Can you give me some insight on some good Post Bacc. programs.

I think the point they're making is that having a high GPA in an MPH program isn't really going to sway adcoms. If your goal is to improve your academic standing, a high GPA in something like a post-bac could help.

2 academic misconducts resulted in 2 quarters suspension in 4-year State University
Does academic misconduct mean cheating/plagiarism? That is a HUGE red flag on any application, and I don't think a even a 4.0 in a post bacc program will be able to patch it up completely.

Does academic misconduct mean cheating/plagiarism? That is a HUGE red flag on any application, and I don't think a even a 4.0 in a post bacc program will be able to patch it up completely.

Woah woah woah, let's not jump the gun here. He might have tried to sleep with a professor for an A...you never know.

I think the point they're making is that having a high GPA in an MPH program isn't really going to sway adcoms. If your goal is to improve your academic standing, a high GPA in something like a post-bac could help.

Yeah, you need to fix what's broke. If that's a bad undergrad GPA, you need to take postbac courses that get factored into your UG + PB average. Graduate grades won't help. In general an MPH is looked at as an EC, not a grade. It's expected that in most grad programs grades will generally be high, and that wont outweigh a low undergrdad GPA.

I am going to assume that his academic suspension was due to poor academic performance. If so, he shouldn't have a problem if he repeats the prereqs for medical school and strongly considers DO rather than MD given the grade replacement protocol the DO schools use.

If the suspension was due to cheating or other bad behavior, it may be extremely difficult/impossible to get a school to give him a chance.