Academic troubles addressed in personal statement?

Started by desklamp
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

desklamp

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First off, this forum is awesome, you guys are all so nice and helpful and thank you in advance 🙂.

This is probably a dumb question but I didn't do very well in my undergraduate years and was put on academic probation for a while. In the PharmCAS there is a section where you are required to explain any probations or withdrawals from any schools, though the space is a bit limited.

My question is, does anyone know whether should I just leave that explanation of my bad grades in the PharmCAS section? Or should I address it in my personal statement as well? I'm not sure if this would just be redundant information, even if I was able to explain the situation further in the PS.
 
I would only touch on it if you could use it as a truly defining personal characteristic for the creation of the person you are today, you know what I mean?

Like, if you're just going to elucidate the academic troubles without tying it in succinctly and saliently with the rest of your stuff in the P.S., it might come across as excuse-making, which you totally do not want.

If you can make it work, I think you can address it.
 
I did in both of mine to a certain extent because the realization of my problems in school ultimately changed who I was as a person.

Didn't realize you had to put your academic probations down on PharmCAS though. I road that baby all through freshman year I sucked so bad.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First off, this forum is awesome, you guys are all so nice and helpful and thank you in advance 🙂.

This is probably a dumb question but I didn't do very well in my undergraduate years and was put on academic probation for a while. In the PharmCAS there is a section where you are required to explain any probations or withdrawals from any schools, though the space is a bit limited.

My question is, does anyone know whether should I just leave that explanation of my bad grades in the PharmCAS section? Or should I address it in my personal statement as well? I'm not sure if this would just be redundant information, even if I was able to explain the situation further in the PS.

No - Do not address negatives in your PS - It is a time to share your passion / motivation for pharmacy. There are other sections in the application process to share this kind of information.

Think of a first date... You wouldn't disclose your obsession with collecting Star Wars figurines right away. You save that one for later. You want to put your best foot forward.
 
Think of a first date... You wouldn't disclose your obsession with collecting Star Wars figurines right away. You save that one for later. You want to put your best foot forward.


I told my now-wife on our first date about my collection of model cars (equally as nerdy...) and we've been married now for 5 years.

Fail analogy, ^Ice(l), I expect better from you. Your brain must be near-fried or something from all the pressure 😉
 
Think of a first date... You wouldn't disclose your obsession with collecting Star Wars figurines right away. You save that one for later. You want to put your best foot forward.

I told my now-wife on our first date about my collection of model cars (equally as nerdy...) and we've been married now for 5 years.

Fail analogy, ^Ice(l), I expect better from you. Your brain must be near-fried or something from all the pressure 😉

🤣your too much sci ^ ^
 
I told my now-wife on our first date about my collection of model cars (equally as nerdy...) and we've been married now for 5 years.

Fail analogy, ^Ice(l), I expect better from you. Your brain must be near-fried or something from all the pressure 😉

I have a collection of diecast cars that my wife dispises lol
 
Wait a minute.. what about a collection of boxed anime dvd's?

That's probably why I'm still single :laugh:
 
Think of a first date... You wouldn't disclose your obsession with collecting Star Wars figurines right away. You save that one for later. You want to put your best foot forward.
I would think of that as a positive :laugh:
Wait a minute.. what about a collection of boxed anime dvd's?

That's probably why I'm still single :laugh:
that too :laugh:

i would probably disclose my love for doctor who, lord of the rings, etc.

My sister-in-law once told me "I like star wars too but I don't let it take over my life" :laugh:

ok i'm done geeking up the thread
 
i addressed mine on the personal statement because I don't want my application to be tossed out after a first glance at my GPA and transcript.
I just didn't take up too much space.