Academic Violation advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ravenclaw1234, 09.30.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ravenclaw1234

ravenclaw1234

I deleted my post to keep my privacy. Thank you everyone for your advice

Last edited: 10.01.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. cacajuate

cacajuate 2+ Year Member

Was it chegg?

I would wait and see if you get an acceptance and then plead your case.

4. ravenclaw1234

ravenclaw1234

Edit

5. ravenclaw1234

ravenclaw1234

Edit

6. wjc

wjc 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I would be careful with what you tell the schools and when. Above all, you should be truthful, so if you are asked you need to have something to say about it, either at interviews or in supplementals apps etc. I think if you are accepted and tell them after the fact they could revoke your acceptance. On the other hand if you are going to fight this and it will be over before you are accepted, I may wait to report it (until you have a verdict) as long as you are not directly asked if there is anything on your record...including just being accused.

I know the stress you are under. I manage a restaurant/bar and the restaurant owner of all people had a drink after closing. I got fined for a city ordinance violation and had to report that on my AADSAS and will have to talk about it at my interviews. The usual advice is to take some kind of responsibility and speak of lessons learned. Yes, this might hurt you, but if you handle it responsibly and truthfully you can rise above it. Good luck.

7. ravenclaw1234

ravenclaw1234

K

8. wjc

wjc 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    The main thing I think is that you want the schools to know before they make an acceptance. I would suggest working through this issue and as soon as it is resolved to get in touch with the schools. Explain briefly what happened, the outcome, share your feelings about responsibility and what you have leaned. Explain to them you know the importance of a truthful application and even though you are not proud of what happened you want to make sure that they have all the facts about you.

Continue to work through this with your counselor as well.

9. cacajuate

cacajuate 2+ Year Member

Seems so harsh if its a university wide tutor program. I'd probably go talk to the professors again.

10. Mad Jack

Mad Jack Critically Caring Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Did you pay for a service that ultimately gave you the exact answer and step-by-step solution for a question? If so, that is cheating.

11. wjc

wjc 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Is the service sponsored by the university? That might give some leverage.

12. ravenclaw1234

ravenclaw1234

Edit

13. ravenclaw1234

ravenclaw1234

Edit

14. ravenclaw1234

ravenclaw1234

Edit

15. Mad Jack

Non-Student
    I wouldn't necessarily consider it cheating then. Whenever a fellow student asked me if I understood a problem I would teach them the same way- different values, different situation, but same sort of problem. But you know professors, some tend to get a bit unnerved when they find out a student didn't struggle uselessly with the material for days before coming to an answer, rather than have someone actually teach them how to approach a problem they don't understand. Most professors are cool and don't care, but there's that certain minority that seems to think suffering is a part of the process...

16. rendal

rendal

Sounds like StudyEdge or TutoringZone (two services offered at my university). I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble by using these services and I don't recall the university ever making a statement saying not to use them. I'm not familiar with the legality but I don't think you will have a problem fighting the accusations if you were never informed by your school that you could not use them, especially when you consider how widely used they are.

Again, I'm not an expert on this but it seems like a pretty unfair/ridiculous situation you're in.

beachbum627 likes this.
  17. ravenclaw1234

ravenclaw1234

Edit

18. wjc

wjc 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Exactly. I don't see how that is any different. Find out if the university approves, supports contributes to the program in any way. If they do, this is tantamount to university approval of their work. You would then be accused of using a university approved program. That is ridiculous.

19. ravenclaw1234

ravenclaw1234

Edit

20. rendal

rendal

That's what I'm saying, if it's so widely known that the professors know about it then they should tell you that you shouldn't use it if that's their personal policy. Good luck with your situation though, I hope you get out of this unscathed.

21. Mad Jack

Non-Student
    Get a lawyer, seriously. It might be necessary at this point. Obviously wait until the appeal goes through, but I would speak with someone that can provide legal advice sooner rather than later so that they can have a plan ready to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

ravenclaw1234 and rendal like this.
  22. ravenclaw1234

ravenclaw1234

This whole situation is just super bad luck on me and I'm so depressed about everything. I will take your advice and look into gettig a lawyer about this. Thank you for your input!

23. Mad Jack

Non-Student
    Good luck, in any case.

ravenclaw1234 likes this.
  24. Baileyy259

Baileyy259

Pre-Dental
    Yikes. Unless you are leaving something out this is extremely harsh. I agree with the lawyer suggestion. If not to at least get some advice on what they could potentially do if you decided to take action.
    Good luck!

dentalgirl7893 likes this.
  25. 7amsho

7amsho 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i think you should tell the schools what happened. You gotta be careful on how you word it because it could make them appreciate your honesty, or dislike you. I would actually tell them now better than later, just so you wouldn't get all excited and then they find out about it later and take back their acceptance offer...

26. 7amsho

7amsho 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i actually got charged by my school for posting something on facebook (very lame story) and i got charged with disorderly conduct. Although I was found not repsonsible, I still talked about it in my application.

27. ravenclaw1234

ravenclaw1234

Edit

28. ravenclaw1234

ravenclaw1234

Edit

29. ravenclaw1234

ravenclaw1234

Ss

30. ravenclaw1234

ravenclaw1234

Thanks for your input. I think I want to tell them until I officially know what happens but definitely before. December 1

31. xerxes106

xerxes106 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental, Other Health Professions Student
    This definitely sounds like it could be bad news bears and affect your apps. Definitely consider the lawyer advice.

32. 2THDDS

2THDDS 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Seems very unfair..
    She needs to be laid......

33. shyfox9p

shyfox9p

Pre-Podiatry
    1. Read the school handbook/policy
    2. Set up a meeting with the dean of the school
    3. If the situation is not resolved, get a lawyer. (This may result in you missing your spring semester - My friend sued his University and was not permitted on campus until the legal process was completed)
    4. I would look at what the dental schools you applied to say are reasons to withdraw an acceptance. If it results in you getting an F - nothing on your record, then you will probably be okay. Just retake the class with another teacher. You probably won't have to explain yourself, and you could lie about what happened... GL

34. ravenclaw1234

ravenclaw1234

Hey thanks for the input. Unfortunately I can't just take the fail. It is all documented as a violation so it will show on my record if I'm found responsible even if I am able to argue for no penalty :( I also know that the dental schools don't take lightly to anything hidden. Especially if they find out without my notice. I feel as if I'm in a catch 22

35. Dental2000

Dental2000 5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Have you thought about calling up a school you do not plan to apply to and asking their advice?

cacajuate likes this.
  36. shyfox9p

shyfox9p

Pre-Podiatry
    Best of luck. I do think that you are not in the wrong in this case.

About the ads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.