Accelerated ISP at Holy Names - Norcal and Socal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Second*Adulthood*Rocks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm a future PT, applying to PT schools this year during the July-October period for schools in my area. My top two choices for schools are Samuel Merritt and UCSF/SFSU.

I have a question about science prerequisites. I found information about the Integrated Science Program through Holy Names University in both Norcal and Socal. The below courses are the remaining prerequisites I need to complete (I actually don't need one of the chemistry classes or the biology classes, but figure it might be worth it to take them both since mine are older than 10 years and I could raise my initial grade).

Physics 1, Physics 2
Biology 1, Biology 2
General Chemistry 1, General Chemistry 2

I checked with Samuel Merrit, UCSF/SFSU and Holy Names... and these accelerated classes are accepted for the PT program.

Completing prereqs through the accelerated Integrated Science Program would allow me to continue volunteering at the VA Clinic in Livermore and at Sutter Hospital in San Francisco, which are both great opportunities where I am really building a foundation of knowledge and connections. I am hoping to keep those volunteer opportunities going as long as I can since I'm really enjoying both of them, but conventional science classes M-F makes the scheduling difficult.

The accelerated ISP classes are on the weekends, Saturday and Sunday from 8:30am to 6:30pm, for 4 weeks. Then a final exam Wednesday evening after the 4th week. You take just one class at a time. A semester worth of material is covered in 1 month.

I already have reference letters lined up from other professors and PTs that I have been volunteering with, so that's not needed. My Anatomy and Physiology classes (and all other prereqs) are through a typical 4 year university, are recent, and As.

I am thinking that for me, the accelerated ISP may be a good choice for these particular classes. If I don't take these classes, I will need to stop volunteering in order to make the time for the science classes offered at my university. The connections I'm making and what I'm learning while I volunteer seem much more important (and interesting) than making time for conventional undergrad physics and chemistry classes.

Anyone have any first hand experience with these accelerated ISP classes? (here's info on the ISP: Accelerated Weekend College Science Courses Schedule & Calendar | ISP)

Members don't see this ad.

I have never heard of this before and I'm seeking something accelerated like this as well (and located in the Bay)! Thanks for the info, but am still skeptical whether it is transferable. This is too good to be true. Have you checked with the counselor at UCSF and or Samuel Merrit?

Last edited:
I have never heard of this before and I'm seeking something accelerated like this as well (and located in the Bay)! Thanks for the info, but am still skeptical whether it is transferable. This is too good to be true. Have you checked with the counselor at UCSF and or Samuel Merrit?

Hi there. Yes I have verified with SMU and UCSF that it transfers and is accepted for my program, but you may want to verify the information with the admission counselors you have been talking with. I wouldn't necessarily call it too good to be true... it's going to be grueling, expensive and extremely fast paced. The main bonus, for me, is the scheduling. It would be nice to hear from people who have taken these accelerated ISP courses. I think for any information that you really want to retain, like anatomy and physiology for me, it would be better to take that through a conventional university with typical scheduling. I did that with A&P.

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked again to the admission counselor at SMU, and she was all for so I'm going to try this program. She encouraged me by double checking with the other admission counselors and the classes are definitely accepted. She said that the classes will be seen as comparable ... especially since my A&P are from a conventional 4 year university (and some of the pre-reqs I am just taking over for recency, so it's not my first time around).

I'm going to try it with the physics series first in May and June. That will allow me to keep volunteering through the summer. If it seems like a good match for me, I can take the other classes I need through ISP as well and be done before the end of application period. If it isn't a good match for me, I can decide how to complete biology and chemistry in the fall.

I can update on my perspective of physics through the ISP after June. :)

Hey there. So I'm just finishing up my first accelerated course at ISP in Hayward. I ended up taking A&P 2 there since it worked better with my schedule than the A&P 2 class I was originally in at CSUEB. For me, since I'm taking classes over again that have expired (over 10 years old), it was OK. For someone who is taking A&P for the first time, I'm not sure how well it would prepare you. Hopefully there would be additional A&P courses in whatever programs you are going into to supplement what you learn here. I only say this because in my first A&P classes, over 10 years ago, we had cadavers, lab exams, histology, and it was much more inclusive and rigorous. This format doesn't really allow for that. I understand many facilities, even 4 year colleges, no longer offer cadavers. Even so, that aspect of lab really helped me to learn the first time around. All of the other students in my class were going on to nursing or dental hygiene. This particular course may be more suited to those entering into that aspect of continued education.

That being said, the scheduling can't be beat. It is hard and very accelerated, but it makes it possible to maintain volunteer opportunities and internships. I do plan on taking my chemistry and physics through ISP because of the scheduling. Also, all of the people in the class are moving toward a career in the health or medical profession. I noticed a big difference between a classroom filled with students of that sort, compared to typical undergrad students at a 4 year college. The maturity level is much higher and that elevated the learning experience for me.

Reactions: 1 user