accelerated Pharm D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

pharmacygirl

Anyone know places with Accelerated Pharm D programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, the best and most respected is Pacific's 2+3 program!!! All the others are not as good as this one!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by EarlyEditionDude
Yes, the best and most respected is Pacific's 2+3 program!!! All the others are not as good as this one!

Maybe you got the wrong edition of tomorrows paper, dude! I don't know how you can make the allegation that the other schools pale in comparison to UOP. I would never gloat like that because there is nothing to prove that. Anyway, to answer the OP's question, here is a list

University of the Pacific
Midwestern University (Glendale Arizona)
Las Vegas College of Pharmacy
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
MCP- Worchester
Albany University- Albany New York

This is what I can think of for now

Hawaii College of Pharmacy is also a 3 yr program.

Originally posted by EarlyEditionDude

EED, I've read some of your other posts and I know you're partly messing around when you make bold posts about UOP. BTW, of the three year programs listed on this thread, UOP would seem to be the best program. I've gotta know, what school is Podunk U?

Originally posted by South2006
Maybe you got the wrong edition of tomorrows paper, dude! I don't know how you can make the allegation that the other schools pale in comparison to UOP. I would never gloat like that because there is nothing to prove that. Anyway, to answer the OP's question, here is a list

MCP- Worchester

This is what I can think of for now

Also, Ferris State University----3 years exactly, but you get one whole summer off in your second year.

originally posted by 64microbus
BTW, of the three year programs listed on this thread, UOP would seem to be the best program.

explain, please. You've been riding on that short bus too long, eh? ;) j/k I'm just wondering what makes you think so?

Aw leave EarlyE alone, he's a good guy. I don't think he means to offend anyone.
I'm not too swift on CA logistics, but did you hear that UCLA med school was selling body parts on the black market? How awful is that? Pacific isn't part of that school is it?:eek:

Originally posted by MALA
Aw leave EarlyE alone, he's a good guy. I don't think he means to offend anyone.

Maybe not, but it did offend me since I do go to an accelerated PharmD program.

Originally posted by MALA
I'm not too swift on CA logistics, but did you hear that UCLA med school was selling body parts on the black market? How awful is that? Pacific isn't part of that school is it?:eek:

No. UOP is private and in Northern California. UCLA is part of the UC system, is public and is in Southern California.

South, you forgot to mention your own school ;)

MCP- Worchester
Hawaii
Ferris State University
South University

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by karmapatroL
South, you forgot to mention your own school ;)

MCP- Worchester
Hawaii
Ferris State University
South University

Oops! LOL

How do the accelerated programs work? Do you go through the summers? Longer semesters? More classes per semester? I'm guessing a combination of them all.. Getting out a year early sure does look tempting!

originally posted by kim31kim
How do the accelerated programs work? Do you go through the summers? Longer semesters? More classes per semester? I'm guessing a combination of them all.. Getting out a year early sure does look tempting!

for Midwestern-Glendale, the program is 2 years and 9 months long, and goes like this:
Fall Quarter: September-November
Winter Quarter: December-February
Spring Quarter: March-May
Summer Quarter: June-August

So, we don't get summers off. Third year is only fall, winter, and spring quarters; graduation is the first week of June. What looks cool about the third year is that only the fall quarter is didactic work, and the remaining two quarters is all rotations. I'm definitely looking forward to it!

how many seats are there for the incoming class of 2004 at MW-Glendale?

Originally posted by emogrrrrl
how many seats are there for the incoming class of 2004 at MW-Glendale?

~130.

In the accelerate programs do you get enough hours in doing your rotations to immediately take the boards or do you have to do work outside of school?

Originally posted by bbmuffin
In the accelerate programs do you get enough hours in doing your rotations to immediately take the boards or do you have to do work outside of school?

You get enough hours at MWU Glendale.

You generally get enough hours. At my school, you do not, but that is due to Georgia Law which we are trying to change. In the state of Georgia, you can have no more than 1000 hours credited to you from a school. This obviously is unfair to students at my school that plan to stay in Georgia. In Florida, all you need to prove is that you graduated with a PharmD. Go Figure!

Well i am in AL and I know we require 1500. 400 have to be after your third professional year. But we can get all of our hours (and the school provides the opportunity) while we are in school.

are you at that new school in savannah? when did they accept their first class.

i know FL laws are really funny though and i also know that GA has a wet lab and "GA boards" that we don't have

one question, if a rph was to try to obtain a liscens in GA would they just have to take the law test or would they have to take the wet lab as well?

Well i am in AL and I know we require 1500. 400 have to be after your third professional year. But we can get all of our hours (and the school provides the opportunity) while we are in school.

are you at that new school in savannah? when did they accept their first class.

i know FL laws are really funny though and i also know that GA has a wet lab and "GA boards" that we don't have

one question, if a rph was to try to obtain a liscens in GA would they just have to take the law test or would they have to take the wet lab as well?

Georgia requires 1500 hours as well.

Yes, I do go to the new school in Savannah. Its called South University and I'm in the inagural class of 2006 (We started last aug)

Floirda laws are funky, im sure Baggywrinkle can attest to that. You take the wet lab with the law exam in Georgia. I'm not planning on taking the Georgia board when I graduate. I plan to take it in Florida and West Virginia. :)

I have heard a lot about the savannah school but i never realized that they were the 3 year program... I graduate in 06 as well but alas.... i am in the middle of my second year of torture.

how is it going there organization wise?
have a lot of organizations already started or will that take a few years?

I have heard a lot about the savannah school but i never realized that they were the 3 year program... I graduate in 06 as well but alas.... i am in the middle of my second year of torture.

how is it going there organization wise?
have a lot of organizations already started or will that take a few years?

Organization wise, its going kind of slow but we are working on it. It's hard with a limited amount of students, but once we get all three classes here, it should be alright. Currently, we have SGA, APhA-ASP, and we are about to get ASHP. How and why have you heard so much about my school? Is that bad or good?

Originally posted by South2006
How and why have you heard so much about my school? Is that bad or good?

I am very involved with Kappa Psi on a regional level. Our province includes AL, GA, and FL and I know a lot of people in the pharmacy schools in all three states. I know we are trying to get a chapter started there and have been in talks with the dean. I also think that LKS might start a chapter there too.
I was just wondering what all else was going on there

Pharmacy is a very small world once you are involved in any organization on a broader level than just school. You tend to see the same people over and over again.

I haven't heard anything bad about your school. But it was pointed out to us by our dean that the school is not named as most would think b/c its in the south but that it actually is a guy's name.

Ours is the same way (i'm sure it is with most private schools) with McWhorter SOP.

I am very involved with Kappa Psi on a regional level. Our province includes AL, GA, and FL and I know a lot of people in the pharmacy schools in all three states. I know we are trying to get a chapter started there and have been in talks with the dean. I also think that LKS might start a chapter there too.
I was just wondering what all else was going on there

Pharmacy is a very small world once you are involved in any organization on a broader level than just school. You tend to see the same people over and over again.

I haven't heard anything bad about your school. But it was pointed out to us by our dean that the school is not named as most would think b/c its in the south but that it actually is a guy's name.

Ours is the same way (i'm sure it is with most private schools) with McWhorter SOP.

I've heard about Kappa Psi and LKS....so far it's been all talk but we will see what happens. Yeah our school is named after John South III, pretty funny huh? I am also involved. I am the President Elect for the ASP chapter.

I apolize for my remarks South2006. I didn't try to offend you. :D I didn't just want to offend you but wanted to offend everyone!!! :p So I take my last reply back and would like to say NO IFS ANDS OR BUTTS, Pacific PharmD program is the best in the nation!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Lighten Up! ;)

Aw....I've heard from Southern Californians that Northern Californian people are "slow".... I was in L.A. on business and that's what the natives told me.
Is that true? Is there a little NorCal and SoCal rivalry?