Accelerated PhD program for MDs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

decentguy1314

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I was hoping for a little help from you guys. I am an IMG and want to enter a competitive specialty, but more than that I really love bench research. Doing a PhD will serve both purposes but the 5+ year duration is a bit too much as I will like to start clinical training within 4-5 years of my medical school graduation. I know that there are some accelerated PhD programs for people already matched in residency but are there such programs for people who've just graduated with an MD and haven't matched or started residency yet? Will be very thankful for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Right now, I don't think so. There are residency with protected research time. Residency program with integrated and funded PhD has been proposed to NIH by one prominent faculty at my school though. We might see something coming.

Since you have an MD, if you find a lab that likes you, you can be a postdoc. several people in my lab have done that, and then residency