Accelerated versus non-accelerated Pharm.D. programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCB2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Folks, I am wondering if there are 1) serious disadvantages or advantages to attending an accelerated or a non-accelerated pharmacy program and 2) there are any accelerated Pharm.D. programs that are noted as excellent programs. If you had to toy with this option and/or if you are currently in one of the two programs, I would love your input. Thanks.

ps - this is my first post =)

Members don't see this ad.

UCB2005 said:
Folks, I am wondering if there are 1) serious disadvantages or advantages to attending an accelerated or a non-accelerated pharmacy program and 2) there are any accelerated Pharm.D. programs that are noted as excellent programs. If you had to toy with this option and/or if you are currently in one of the two programs, I would love your input. Thanks.

ps - this is my first post =)

hey...this question has pretty much been answered a lot before....just do some search on the prevous threads and you will find plenty of information!!!!!!!

I am sure you are right but I had tremendous difficulty locating all the old conversations. I found a couple but without much discussion. I was hoping I could get a response here or perhaps a direct link to a good thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrugDealer said:

Okay. Does anyone know which 3 year school pharmchc (who has been banned) was referring to in her post which I pasted below? I'm probably going to attend a 3 year (South) at least at this point, but I have the same concerns as the OP. Plus I'm wondering about the validity of this post below.

pharmchc said:
you brought up three great factors.
i have two friends that are close to me who actually attend/attended the 3yr schools. well from i know and what they tell me, til this day they regret even considering applying to the 3yr school. but i can tell you my friends EAT, DRINK, SLEEP, TALK AND LIVE PHARMACY,it's a school in the east coast. Both of them were highly stressed out and my other friend in her third year tells me that people have actually had nervous breakdowns because the stress level is so high. i felt really bad for them b/c i remember they couldn't come home for breaks and I wasn't as close to them, and when they finally did call, they would pretty much tell me how much they hated the schedule and curriculum. So for all the people who are saying that they don't care how challenging or fast the school's pace is and they just want the money,, please consider what you are getting yourself into. I don't and can't understand how you can condense soooo much info in less than two years... it's pharm school w/ sooo much information to know and remember. And also pharmacy school is very expensive, which leaves a person in a 3year school to have no room to screw up. .my friend would cry after getting 1 grade less than a C, b/c she said there's no time to fail, b4 u know it, the semester/quarter or whatever they go by is almost done. I tried to tell my friend in her third year to join sdn, but she says she ain't got time for this crap..for organizations, she said there is none, there's no student activities and really no student resources b/c everyone is tooo busy with academics that no one joins. my other friend who's graduated already told me how no clinical pharmacies called for an interview or any of his friends that graduated with him,, but he had a few proposals from retail,, by the way he hates retail pharmacy... anyways,, judging from both my friends, it doesn't sound like something i would consider just to graduate a year early,, it doesn't sound worth it. So for those who are considering the 3 years, I suggest to talking with those students in the 3yr schools to get their honest opinion...it's a pharmacy school, not arts, it's gotta be twice as hard!

starsweet said:
Okay. Does anyone know which 3 year school pharmchc (who has been banned) was referring to in her post which I pasted below? I'm probably going to attend a 3 year (South) at least at this point, but I have the same concerns as the OP. Plus I'm wondering about the validity of this post below.
I attend MCPHS-Worcester and I don't think she's referring to my school. We have quite a few student organizations--a racquetball club, chess/MaJong/Scrabble club, Indian Student Organization, Asian Student Organization, some horse riding club is in the works, some others I can't think of, plus all the professional pharmacy clubs. We also receive emails and in-class announcements about upcoming volunteering opportunities, various cultural events, and outings (I recall a ski trip a while back). Our school tries to foster a life outside of class.

DrugDealer said:
I attend MCPHS-Worcester and I don't think she's referring to my school. We have quite a few student organizations--a racquetball club, chess/MaJong/Scrabble club, Indian Student Organization, Asian Student Organization, some horse riding club is in the works, some others I can't think of, plus all the professional pharmacy clubs. We also receive emails and in-class announcements about upcoming volunteering opportunities, various cultural events, and outings (I recall a ski trip a while back). Our school tries to foster a life outside of class.

I just hope she wasn't referring to South. :scared:

I never thought I would thank a drugdealer for academic help but thanks a bunch. The link was exactly what I was looking for!

Would you know if there are any music performance opportunities available? As a musician, I would like to continue participating in orchestra/band/wind ensemble groups.

I don't even know what is considered accelerated.... Is a 6 yr ( counting 2 yrs preprofessional) accelerated? If so, it isn't all that bad. There are some weeks that are really stressful because you will have a bunch of tests all at once, and then there are other weeks where there isnt anything to do really at all and you can hang out with friends and relax.

I don't even know what is considered accelerated.... Is a 6 yr ( counting 2 yrs preprofessional) accelerated? If so, it isn't all that bad. There are some weeks that are really stressful because you will have a bunch of tests all at once, and then there are other weeks where there isnt anything to do really at all and you can hang out with friends and relax.

accelerated is a 3 year program post-prerequisites, so if u spend 2 yrs taking pre-reqs, instead of 4 more years of pharmacy school to graduate, u'd need 3 years.

I know this may be a little late. I read some of the comments and agree with what was said about how hectic and stressful a 3 yr COP is. HOWEVER, it is not impossible. I am in Sullivan University COP 3 yr program and I can say it is a tremendous college. It is hectic and stressful but also allowable. The doctors/professors know how challengin it is and work with you to accomadate schedules that fit into your time. Keep in mind we are a fully accredited COP with a 100% pass on the MPJE and a 95% pass on the NAPLEX. So with this info I hope you can see a path you would like to go.