Accept an offer only to cancel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JustaSearchin

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've been offered a position in corporate practice *we all know who 😉*. My contract deadline is tomorrow and I've already had it extended once before. Problem is a clinic I was really interested in finally contacted me and wants to interview me. I know it's wrong but can I accept the corporate contract and if thing pan out well at my ideal clinic, just terminate the corporate contract.
 
On the purely legal side...well, what does your contract say? If you are a new graduate, have you gone over it with a lawyer or mentor (if not, you need to)? Can they sue you if they find you in breach of contract via early termination? Is there a noncompete clause that would affect you working at the new clinics? Are there any financial penalties for breach of contract? What is the mininum required notice? If none of these are major issues, technically, you could.

However, on the more ethical side.... are you willing to accept the permanent reputation damage both locally and through the (vast) corporate network? You would never have them as a job option again (and word gets around - not just in their circles, either).

Personally, I would see if they could grant another extension.
 
However, on the more ethical side.... are you willing to accept the permanent reputation damage both locally and through the (vast) corporate network? You would never have them as a job option again (and word gets around - not just in their circles, either).
And I'll put in another ethical viewpoint: I believe it's wrong to sign a contract when you are not committed to trying to fulfill that contract (i.e. start work there under those terms). Ask for another extension, but if they won't give one to you, you have to decide if you're willing to gamble. Make your choice and accept the consequences, because sometimes you can't keep all your options open and have to choose. This might be one of those times.
 
Ask for an extension and if you don't receive one then you need to decide. Don't sign something you don't plan on accepting, it's not the same as fudging a seat deposit for vet school.

There are much bigger potential consequences and I don't think burning a corporate bridge would be wise.