Moving to Canada from the US

Started by MintyMoose
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MintyMoose

tOSU CVM c/o 2028
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone here have experience moving to Canada from the states post vet school graduation? I’m seriously considering doing so, though I’m not sure how long after graduation I want to move. From my understanding, unless I have a years worth of experience under my belt working as a vet I will need to get a work visa to for under for a year and then apply for express entry. How does this work with NAVLE? The admin at my school told us when taking the NAVLE we need to declare where we intend on practicing after graduation - what do I put if I’m not exactly sure? Additionally, how does loan repayment work? Thanks in advance!
 
I don’t know if we have any SDN regulars that have gone to Canada after graduation. We’ve had a few go there for vet school and a few Canadians that have come to the US after graduation, but I don’t know that we’ve had regulars who are US citizens go to Canada.

But yes, you have to have a state (or province I suppose) ‘sponsor’ you to take the NAVLE. This may not be the right terminology but your admin is right…you do have to specify a state/province when you sign up. If you don’t know where you’re going to end up, you can just pick a state/province (ideally one with low licensing fees), take the NAVLE through that state, and then you can transfer your score to another state/province later on when you know where you need to be licensed in or where you’re moving to. It does cost money to send your score to a different state every time you do it, but it’s a pretty simple online process. It’s simpler to have a plan in place ahead of time but isn’t a big deal to change licensing later.

I could be wrong, but I believe if an American is living in Canada or abroad, you can go on income based repayment and use the foreign earned income tax exclusion to effectively remove up to 110k of your income from being taxable/recognized by the US, which effectively makes your IBR payment zero. If your income was above 110k you may owe some money but salaries are lower in Canada so this may not be a big concern. Interest will still accrue on IBR and you’d need to be saving for the taxes when forgiveness occurs in 20-25 years. I don’t know how RAP and the BBB changes might change this though; I haven’t looked into that. If RAP still lets you do the foreign income exclusion and works how it does in the states, interest may be forgiven because your income to the US is zero, but when forgiveness happens the amount forgiven is considered income so you’ll owe taxes on the amount forgiven. If your loans are private, you’d have to pay them as normal and wouldn’t have the option of income based repayment and foreign income exclusion.
 
Hi! I'm Canadian (4th year student), and I'm not entirely sure about the visa process for coming here, but I know it's relatively easy for Canadians to go to the US and believe that's also the case in the opposite direction.

As for the NAVLE, you can either register through the ICVA (if you plan to practice in USA or are uncertain where you'll practice), or register through the NEB (if you plan to practice in Canada). It does appear that you don't need to select a state if you designate the ICVA as your agency (based on the link that follows, maybe it's more complicated than it appears). If you change your mind at some point, as far as I know, you can always have your NAVLE score sent to a different licensing board, but there is a cost associated with this. See here: ICVA |

You can find some guidance on moving from the US and getting licensed in Canada on page 6 of this FAQ document: https://www.canadianveterinarians.net/media/pl1fnkoe/cvma_neb_faq_december-2025.pdf

I don't know anything about US loans, but just be aware of the exchange rate. If loan repayment in income-based, maybe look into whether they convert it or if they consider (for example) 110k CAD to be 110k USD. I have no clue if they do that, but I think it would be a good thing to check!

If you have any questions about different cities/locations in Canada, feel free to ask or send me a message!