Accept / Defer from wait list for Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chickenaspen

MD Class of 2022
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently found out that I was awarded a Fulbright Research Grant. At the time I was already accepted to a medical school and they agreed to defer my enrollment. I was and am still waitlisted for other schools I'd like to attend. Should I mention this to schools where I'm waitlisted? At this point in time, would any school have interest in admitting an applicant they know will defer? Even if it's for a Fulbright research scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I recently found out that I was awarded a Fulbright Research Grant. At the time I was already accepted to a medical school and they agreed to defer my enrollment. I was and am still on waitlisted for other schools I'd like to attend. Should I mention this to schools where I'm waitlisted? At this point in time, would any school have interest in admitting an applicant they know will defer? Even if it's for a Fulbright research scholarship?

A school that accepts you off the waitlist is looking to fill their class for the upcoming year. They are not looking for deferments. Will they take it? Maybe, but announcing your need for one before even being accepted is not likely to endear them to you.

Reactions: 1 user
A school that accepts you off the waitlist is looking to fill their class for the upcoming year. They are not looking for deferments. Will they take it? Maybe, but announcing your need for one before even being accepted is not likely to endear them to you.
Thank you for your reply. This was the advice I was worried I would receive, but I think you're right. I feel as though I'm in a no-win situation; on one hand, this feels like a significant update worthy of mention and to not disclose it seems duplicitous, but on the other hand I don't feel great about sending an update that also implies my need to defer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it best to just sit back and adopt a "wait and see" attitude?
If a school accepts a waitlisted applicant does it have any affect on their yeild if the applicant requests and is granted a deferral?