Accept enrollment now or wait to re-apply next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imallama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a crunch and would like your opinions on this matter. I was recently accepted to UOP in Stockton. I have been rejected from all other schools I applied to (aside from Azusa, but I won't find out until much later if I got in or not).

My question is this: UOP is definitely not my first choice. I don't mind going, but I was thinking it might be better instead of just attending UOP to wait until I hear from Azusa Pacific (since I'd prefer to go there) and then re-apply (if I don't get in) the following application cycle to a butt load of other schools.

Pros of going to UOP is that I'll be done in 2 years, and that I'll be able to start right away. Cons are that I'm not thrilled about their program or the school itself. The people are nice, but everything else is just average to me and doesn't stand out.

Pros of going to Azusa is that I'll (hopefully) have some PTA work experience and improve my GPA in the meantime while waiting to hear back from Azusa. The cons are...if I don't get in, I risk not getting into any other PT program during the next application cycle, and that it's a 3 year program and I would start in February.

Anybody been stuck in this type of situation where they got into one school that they're okay about, but is still waiting to hear back from another school that they'd prefer to go to?

If it helps, I'm also not 100% convinced PT is right for me. I believe I have certain characteristics that would fit being a PT, but would like to get work experience to really see if it is something I want to do. But then again, I don't want to screw myself over in the long run and not get in to ANY program at all. My whole undergrad was geared at doing PT/grad school, so if I don't do PT, the past 5 years of undergrad basically go to waste. Thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The application process is so stressful why would you want to go through it again and risk not getting into a program next cycle? The bonus is that you will be done in 2 years. I wish I could attend a two year DPT program. As long as the program is affordable, I would go for it!!!

Good luck.

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a crunch and would like your opinions on this matter. I was recently accepted to UOP in Stockton. I have been rejected from all other schools I applied to (aside from Azusa, but I won't find out until much later if I got in or not).

My question is this: UOP is definitely not my first choice. I don't mind going, but I was thinking it might be better instead of just attending UOP to wait until I hear from Azusa Pacific (since I'd prefer to go there) and then re-apply (if I don't get in) the following application cycle to a butt load of other schools.

Pros of going to UOP is that I'll be done in 2 years, and that I'll be able to start right away. Cons are that I'm not thrilled about their program or the school itself. The people are nice, but everything else is just average to me and doesn't stand out.

Pros of going to Azusa is that I'll (hopefully) have some PTA work experience and improve my GPA in the meantime while waiting to hear back from Azusa. The cons are...if I don't get in, I risk not getting into any other PT program during the next application cycle, and that it's a 3 year program and I would start in February.

Anybody been stuck in this type of situation where they got into one school that they're okay about, but is still waiting to hear back from another school that they'd prefer to go to?

If it helps, I'm also not 100% convinced PT is right for me. I believe I have certain characteristics that would fit being a PT, but would like to get work experience to really see if it is something I want to do. But then again, I don't want to screw myself over in the long run and not get in to ANY program at all. My whole undergrad was geared at doing PT/grad school, so if I don't do PT, the past 5 years of undergrad basically go to waste. Thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not very familiar with either of the schools, but in reading your post you sounded like you were already leaning toward staying in school. Also, you never know, that PTA experience you may get in the meantime may help you make a decision as to whether PT is even right for you and could be very valuable to you in the long run. If you didn't apply to very many schools this cycle and have the patience and expenses to apply again, I don't see any negatives in applying to different programs with a stronger GPA and more experience. I don't think that would harm you except at the school you have gotten into already. Although the process is stressful and costly, you need to make sure it's what you want to do as your career, rather than waste time and money for two years only to realize it isn't what you want. I would not want to be unsure of PT itself and, on top of that, be unhappy at a school. I'm not sure how indecisive you are about PT, but I think the second option sounds best, if I were you.

I hope that was somewhat helpful- I realize there are a lot of factors that go into this and you are the only one that knows all the variables, but good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I second everything hopefloats said. If you're not sure, don't commit.

Kevin

I'll put my 2 cents in for the sake of giving you an alternative viewpoint.

#1 Why did you apply to the school if you were not interested in attending? You considered UOP an option for a reason, or else you would not apply there in the first place.

#2 If you're not sold on PT, then what are your other options? Like you said, you have put in 4-5 years of work to get you a degree to prepare you for graduate school. How would you feel if you thought you decided PT was not for you, and then a couple years down the road, you realize that it is perfect for you? This happened to me, and fortunately I realized it soon enough that it only set me back one year.

However, if it in fact is not for you, then you don't want to be in debt $100k+ when you choose a career change. I think it is a very rewarding career any way you look at it.

#3 You will finish the didactic portion of the program in two years (then you have like 4 months or so of internships). Most programs take around 3 years, so you would be getting an extra year and a half head start earning a salary.

I could argue both ways, but I don't want you to be swayed by unbalanced feedback. It's ultimately your choice

Thanks for the input.

I applied to UOP simply because it was another school that I applied to. Total, I applied to 12 schools and get rejected from 10. It's ultimately between UOP and Azusa, but I'm not sure if I'd even get in to Azusa in the first place. That's why I'm on the fence.

I really would liek to get some work experience, but I'm really nervous and worried that I won't get in to ANY schools at all next round. I do plan on going to a JC to improve some core classes, but still, I just don't know.

Total, I applied to 12 schools and get rejected from 10. It's ultimately between UOP and Azusa, but I'm not sure if I'd even get in to Azusa in the first place. That's why I'm on the fence.

... I'm really nervous and worried that I won't get in to ANY schools at all next round.

Do you really want to spend the time and money to do all this again next year with no guarantee that you'll get in again?

You applied for a reason... You chose PT for a reason. Go!

Do you really want to spend the time and money to do all this again next year with no guarantee that you'll get in again?

You applied for a reason... You chose PT for a reason. Go!

That's a factor to consider, but a positive is that I'll have (assuming I get a job as a PTA) a lot more hours, more experience (therefore proving whether or not I really want to do PT) and hopefully a higher GPA.

As for the money aspect, I am in a very fortunate setting where money is not a big issue.

I'm also a bit nervous about the 2 year route, as I've never done something that intense before and don't know how successful I'd be at it. Plus, there is just a lot of information to cover and since most schools take 3 years, I find it difficult to believe that 2 years will cover everything as in-depth and completely as the other schools. If it really only took 2 years to get a DPT, then why wouldn't all the other schools follow suite?

Now once again, I'm not completely against UOP. It's still a DPT school, and I'm grateful to have been accepted anyways. It's just...there's a lot to consider.

If you're unsure of PT at this point, please decline your seat so that someone who is 100% sure can have your seat.

If it helps, I'm also not 100% convinced PT is right for me. I believe I have certain characteristics that would fit being a PT, but would like to get work experience to really see if it is something

Out of everything you said, this line is probably THE MOST IMPORTANT in my opinion. If you are not dead set on the profession, I strongly encourage you to gain experience in multiple settings to allow yourself a fair shake at making an objective decision. You will be investing a lot of time and money over the next few years, and you need to find out if this is something you really want. I personally would wait! Gain more experience in various settings, bring your gpa up if need be, and then make an educated decision. Will it push you back a little bit? Yes. That said, you do not want to dedicate the time and effort that it takes to become a competent DPT and then recognize that it is not what you want to do.

Very true. Thanks for the input Ox777, but I also should say this...up until now I didn't think I would've gotten into a PT school so I had my mind set on just working first and then re-applying later. I'm not sure if that really influenced my decision about things now.

However, as things are now, the dilema is whether to grab hold of the opportunity and just go with it (being as I've already spent 5 years of undergrad aimed at doing PT) or chance it, wait and possibly end up with a better vision of PT as a career and possibly get into a PT school. Going to UOP directly is kind of a guaranteed "get a job" route while the other is more unknown of what will happen.

well I wouldnt call going to a PT school a "guaranteed" anything. PT school is extremely difficult and demanding, and your making it sounds as if its a piece cake- that's the first thing. Secondly, if you dont think its right for you, then dont accept the spot and wait, gain more experience, and see if your thoughts are justified and PT is what you want to do (whole heartedly). Lastly, one thing to consider if you do decline your spot at UofP- if you decline their spot this year and reapply next year, will they take into consideration that you applied this year and turned them down? So why would they grant you admission next year? Just something to think about...from the sounds of it, you sound like you want to be a PT, but your just unsure if you want to go to UofP. if you get into Azusa, it sounds liek you are ready to go. so it sounds like a program dilemma, not so much a career dilemma. just my .02

well I wouldnt call going to a PT school a "guaranteed" anything. PT school is extremely difficult and demanding, and your making it sounds as if its a piece cake- that's the first thing. Secondly, if you dont think its right for you, then dont accept the spot and wait, gain more experience, and see if your thoughts are justified and PT is what you want to do (whole heartedly). Lastly, one thing to consider if you do decline your spot at UofP- if you decline their spot this year and reapply next year, will they take into consideration that you applied this year and turned them down? So why would they grant you admission next year? Just something to think about...from the sounds of it, you sound like you want to be a PT, but your just unsure if you want to go to UofP. if you get into Azusa, it sounds liek you are ready to go. so it sounds like a program dilemma, not so much a career dilemma. just my .02

Haha, that wasn't my intention. I just oversimplified it and basically was getting at the point that going to UOP would end up allowing me to get a job sooner than later (assuming I don't flunk out or whatnot) but without actual PT field work experience vs. getting some work experience in the field of PT as an aide first, then (once again assuming I get into a school and don't flunk out) going into the field with prior experience.

But I think you are spot on with the rest of your analysis. I'm like...85% sure I want to do PT, but I still feel like it'd be better to have some work experience to give me that extra 15% of reassurance. But I guess it's more of is it worth it to chance the 15% of not-so-sure and not get into a program next time or just go with it now.

But then also...there's something to be said about taking an opportunity when it's handed to you. Gah. :bang::bang: