Acceptable MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patch adams

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have been accepted to D.O. schools this year I am interested in knowing your profile (MCAT scores, GPA, extracurrics and etc.) Why? Because I am planning on applying for the 2004 school year and am taking the MCAT in April and I would like to be able to set a goal for myself.

Just a little about me: I am currently working in research peer review and graduated from college May 2002 with a 3.65 GPA and a 3.9 science GPA. I also spent my last two years interning and volunteering at a local hospital in the ER and OR departments under many DO's. I absolutely love their approach to medicine. Being an athlete in college, I completely understand the ideas behind the holistic approach to medicine. As an athlete, you learn that in order to be able to play the whole season that you must maintain good overall health and if you don't you face the risk of serious injury. Also, I loved the way the DO interact with their patients. The DOs I worked with really influenced me and I know that being a DO is the type of doctor that I want to be.

Thus far, I am favoring these schools in no particular order: KCOM, NSUCOM, AZCOM, TOURO, OSU-COM, UHS, DMU, COMP, VCOM, WVCOM, CCOM AND PCOM and will probably apply to all of them. I have reviewed each of them and think that I would be comfortable at any place.

So for those of you who have gotten into these school please tell me what your stats were so that I can use it as a reference point.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Patch,

From what I read so far, you are fine. Like you, I was a college athlete who was influenced by the DOs I encountered. As for a reference point for comparing admission stats, you sound solid. Just make sure you get a MCAT score above a 27 and you should be fine. I graduated with a 3.60 overall and a 3.50 science GPA. I scored very high on my MCATs and had no problem securing admissions at any of the DO schools I applied to. Furthermore, playing sports in college and majoring in medicine related helped a lot. That will impress adcoms a lot. Just keep up the great work and you will do fine. Email me if you have any more questions.

Originally posted by DoctorDoogie4
From what I read so far, you are fine. As for a reference point for comparing admission stats, you sound solid. Just make sure you get a MCAT score above a 27 and you should be fine. That will impress adcoms a lot. Just keep up the great work and you will do fine.

Ditto what DD4 said

If you have any questions about OSU-COM feel free to email or PM me.

DrMom

Members don't see this ad :)
Shoot for the highest you can get!!
But if you have a bad day, don't lose hope! I only got a 22 Q, and I was accepted to UHS, I also recieved 5 interviews. My GPA was identical to yours, and I was an athlete as well. You will be just fine. I am not saying it is easy!!!!! Getting in was the most nerve racking experience of my life, but don't let people tell you you can't do it (and they will). I would just study hard and do the best you can!

Good Luck!!

Vanessa

I agree with Vanessa. Do as best you can...don't limit yourself. I have a 3.7 GPA and a sub 21 MCAT and was accepted. So you just never know, but if you do your best..then you can increase your chances of an acceptance! Also, do things that you enjoy, not just things that will look good on an application!

Good luck!

You shouldn't have any problem getting in, especially if you get a 27+ on the MCAT. I got a 24 and have a 3.8 non-science and 3.9 science, I got into my first choice. Good luck with the application process.

PCSOM class of '07