Stuck Between Immigration and Expiring MCAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moosers

MD Class of 2026
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!!

I've posted before but mostly just read these forums -- they're always very helpful, so thank you! I'm a Canadian citizen, non-traditional applicant (stats below). I applied narrowly in the 2019-2020 cycle as an international student to primarily MD schools (as they were the most international/Canadian-friendly), and skipped the 2020-2021 cycle as I applied for my American permanent residency in February 2020 and wanted to wait to apply as a permanent resident rather than an international student.

The current problem is that USCIS made a fatal error in my case which has caused a massive delay (it's now going on 15 months since applying) and the 2021-2022 season is now upon us. My MCAT was taken in March of 2019, so I'm facing three options:

1. Apply as early as possible in this cycle as an international student,​
2. Wait for a decision on my permanent residency (which should hopefully be resolved in the next 2 months or so) and apply later in the cycle as a permanent resident 3. Skip this season entirely and apply early in the 2022-2023 cycle. A big factor in this choice is whether my MCAT will be expired next cycle, meaning I'd have to retake and score either the same or higher than my first attempt (which was a huge struggle for me in the first place...).​

I'm working on my PS and have had multiple eyes look at it, currently in the final stages of editing that and considering starting to pre-write my secondaries. My stats are as follows (red indicates a new addition to my application from my 2019 cycle):

Undergraduate GPA: 2.67
Post-Baccalaureate (40 credits) GPA: 3.87 (3.98 sGPA)
cGPA: 2.74 / sGPA: 2.78

Graduate GPA
(36 credits, traditional MSc, non-SMP): 3.96 / sGPA: 3.96 (final GPA, 2019 cycle included only 2/4 semesters of graduate school)

MCAT: 510 (taken March, 2019)

State of Residency: Pennsylvania
Ethnicity/Race: White

Clinical Experience: Volunteered with long-term geriatric patients ~200hrs; volunteered for the children's hospital ~150hrs; volunteered as an EMT ~2000 hours

Research: ~300 hours of independent study during post-bacc, resulting in one poster presentation; ~400 hours independent study during MSc, no publications; ~2000 research experience as a full-time research assistant at an academic institutions, a few papers in progress.

Shadowing: 70 hours of a combination clinic & OR shadowing of an MD.

Non-clinical Volunteering: volunteered for an inner-city non-profit serving pregnant/newly mothered teenagers in underserved communities ~150hrs, volunteer chemistry & biology tutor for undergraduates ~100hrs, volunteer tutor for underserved youth in my local metropolis, ~20 hours (current activity, so these will increase)

LORs: strong LORs from faculty at my graduate institution, a previous academic advisor, and a strong committee letter. My current PI will also be writing me a strong letter. Noticeably lacking are DO/MD LORs.

I feel like I have a fairly competitive application to DO schools if I were a permanent resident, and I do plan to apply strategically to MD, but as an international applicant the chances are fairly slim.

It's a huge decision and I'm stuck. I've worked so hard for years as a reinventor to get to this point and can't let all that effort go to waste because USCIS is a mess. All wisdom is appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly with your GPA still under 3.0 chances are low even with your Grad GPA. As a Canadian I would apply to all DO schools that take Canadian applicants and you might have a shot, I think MD is very unlikely. If you do decide to hold off applying I would take a few more classes as you prep for the MCAT retake.
Goro's guide for reinvention

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly with your GPA still under 3.0 chances are low even with your Grad GPA. As a Canadian I would apply to all DO schools that take Canadian applicants and you might have a shot, I think MD is very unlikely. If you do decide to hold off applying I would take a few more classes as you prep for the MCAT retake.
Goro's guide for reinvention

Yes, actually @Goro answered some of my previous posts about reinvention and we agree that even though I've "reinvented" quite successfully, I will likely be screened out at a number of MD schools due to the cGPA being <3.0. He very kindly provided me with a target MD school list. And of course, I will apply as broadly as possible to DO schools.

GPA aside, however, I'm seeking guidance regarding the timing of my application -- in my shoes, would you wait until being granted PR but risk having to apply later in the cycle or re-taking the MCAT, or would you apply as early as possible in the current cycle?

Yes, actually @Goro answered some of my previous posts about reinvention and we agree that even though I've "reinvented" quite successfully, I will likely be screened out at a number of MD schools due to the cGPA being <3.0. He very kindly provided me with a target MD school list. And of course, I will apply as broadly as possible to DO schools.

GPA aside, however, I'm seeking guidance regarding the timing of my application -- in my shoes, would you wait until being granted PR but risk having to apply later in the cycle or re-taking the MCAT, or would you apply as early as possible in the current cycle?
Oh great, sorry for not understanding that. Personally, the MCAT was awful and I would try to get in before that expires, so if it were me I would apply as early as I can. I do not know all the steps to become PR but have family that have become citizens so I will say Immigration issues in the US is a **** show, what might take months could take another year. But this is just my personal opinion