Acceptance at one school, Alternate list at another

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corey795

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out today that I have been placed on the #1 spot on the alternate list at my preferred school. I have already been accepted (and had to pay a deposit) at another school. I realize that I will be forfeiting my deposit if I choose to not go to this school, but my letter said I may not hear if I am accepted from the alternates list until August, is that too late to cancel on the other school, would that appear unproffessional? Does anyone else have experience with these alternate lists? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I just found out today that I have been placed on the #1 spot on the alternate list at my preferred school. I have already been accepted (and had to pay a deposit) at another school. I realize that I will be forfeiting my deposit if I choose to not go to this school, but my letter said I may not hear if I am accepted from the alternates list until August, is that too late to cancel on the other school, would that appear unproffessional? Does anyone else have experience with these alternate lists? Thank you.
You're almost guaranteed a spot at your preferred school if you're ranked number 1 on the wait list. The letter just meant they'll be contacting individuals until August before school starts. You should be a lot sooner. Unless this is a very competitive/top school, I really think you shouldn't worry. Just be considerate and let them know you're withdrawing your application when you finally get your acceptance, the time doesn't matter.