Acceptance Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GraigM31

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've recently re-oriented my career path towards physical therapy and will be applying a bit later this year but wanted to get some opinions of my stats.

I'm in the middle of taking pre-reqs as a post-bac student (originally psych major with research track, 2016 grad). I've got 4 classes left total between the fall and spring (Bio 1 and 2, Chem 1 and 2). Also taking exercise phys and nutrition as supplements.

Right now in the middle of 19 credits of condensed summer classes to cram physics and A&P pre-reqs. All A's so far.

So here are my stats:
Overall GPA: 3.93
Pre-req GPA: 4.00 (so far)
GRE:
study in progress, likely taking in Sept.
Observation:
75 outpatient ortho in two different settings, 16 inpatient (1 setting), 3 acute care (all they could offer at the time unfortunately), 20 home health pt
So total 114
EC's + Awards, Experience:
Psychology club member, then secretary, then president (3 year progression), PSI CHI honors society member, undergraduate research opportunity fellowship recipient (paid), outstanding senior academic achievement award for department of psych, opportunity scholarship recipient, health psychology research assistant, developmental psychology research assistant, abnormal psych teaching assistant, developmental psych teaching assistant, clinical research student intern at local hospital, clinical research manager for 1 year after internship at local hospital, CV with 3 manuscript publications as co-author and ~20 conference presentations both oral and poster (5 lead author, 15 co-author)

Really not sure how much the research experience will help me but I know it's going to be unique compared to other PT applicants.

I would do more observation hours this summer but my summer courses have me in lecture ~30 hours a week for a total of anywhere between 60-70 taking homework into account. Not to mention GRE stuff, plus building the application. Quit my research management job at the end of April so I've really had to speed things up to apply this year.

Sorry for the long post, but any help is greatly appreciated. No PT department at my school so I don't have a whole lot of guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I've recently re-oriented my career path towards physical therapy and will be applying a bit later this year but wanted to get some opinions of my stats.

I'm in the middle of taking pre-reqs as a post-bac student (originally psych major with research track, 2016 grad). I've got 4 classes left total between the fall and spring (Bio 1 and 2, Chem 1 and 2). Also taking exercise phys and nutrition as supplements.

Right now in the middle of 19 credits of condensed summer classes to cram physics and A&P pre-reqs. All A's so far.

So here are my stats:
Overall GPA: 3.93
Pre-req GPA: 4.00 (so far)
GRE:
study in progress, likely taking in Sept.
Observation:
75 outpatient ortho in two different settings, 16 inpatient (1 setting), 3 acute care (all they could offer at the time unfortunately), 20 home health pt
So total 114
EC's + Awards, Experience:
Psychology club member, then secretary, then president (3 year progression), PSI CHI honors society member, undergraduate research opportunity fellowship recipient (paid), outstanding senior academic achievement award for department of psych, opportunity scholarship recipient, health psychology research assistant, developmental psychology research assistant, abnormal psych teaching assistant, developmental psych teaching assistant, clinical research student intern at local hospital, clinical research manager for 1 year after internship at local hospital, CV with 3 manuscript publications as co-author and ~20 conference presentations both oral and poster (5 lead author, 15 co-author)

Really not sure how much the research experience will help me but I know it's going to be unique compared to other PT applicants.

I would do more observation hours this summer but my summer courses have me in lecture ~30 hours a week for a total of anywhere between 60-70 taking homework into account. Not to mention GRE stuff, plus building the application. Quit my research management job at the end of April so I've really had to speed things up to apply this year.

Sorry for the long post, but any help is greatly appreciated. No PT department at my school so I don't have a whole lot of guidance.
your stats look impeccable, maybe get a few more hours and really knock that essay out of the park along with your GRE's and you should pretty much get in anywhere you want.

your stats look impeccable, maybe get a few more hours and really knock that essay out of the park along with your GRE's and you should pretty much get in anywhere you want.
Thanks for the feedback. I think I can cram in a few more hours in between summer and fall courses. Finding time for GRE study is the biggest pain right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow - impressive! You are certainly on the right track and if your GRE is as awesome as your GPA then you should be good to go! I would suggest checking observation hour requirements for the programs you plan on applying to - some programs I applied to required a minimum number of hours in each setting (roundabout 20), so your 3 hours in acute care may not be considered for certain programs. I know you said it would be tough to do any more observation hours, but if it is at all possible I would give it a try (again, depending on what programs you are looking into). Hope this helps!

Wow - impressive! You are certainly on the right track and if your GRE is as awesome as your GPA then you should be good to go! I would suggest checking observation hour requirements for the programs you plan on applying to - some programs I applied to required a minimum number of hours in each setting (roundabout 20), so your 3 hours in acute care may not be considered for certain programs. I know you said it would be tough to do any more observation hours, but if it is at all possible I would give it a try (again, depending on what programs you are looking into). Hope this helps!
Thanks for input! I checked the requirements of the programs I'm looking at and all of them appear to just require a certain amount of overall hours rather than specific amounts for acute care etc, so I think it will be all set. I may still try and get some additional hours just to get myself to a round 150 or so.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for input! I checked the requirements of the programs I'm looking at and all of them appear to just require a certain amount of overall hours rather than specific amounts for acute care etc, so I think it will be all set. I may still try and get some additional hours just to get myself to a round 150 or so.

Hey guys,

It’s been a while but I’ve been thinking about a couple of things-

Any insight into how the timing of my application might affect things? Like I said in my first post I made a major switch in my life to do this this year, with the only drawback of that being that my application is going to be later than most. I take the GREs this Saturday so basically as soon as the scores are good I’ll be submitting.

I think I’m a strong candidate, but I get the feeling timing may hurt my chances a bit. Any thoughts are much appreciated.