Thoughts of chances or what to do to increase chances/competitiveness:
-Non-traditional applicant, 29 years old/second career: 2 degrees: BS in biology/chemistry minor Pittsburg State University 2011 (Pittsburg, KS), BHS in Allied Health Clinical Laboratory Science Washburn University 2013 (Topeka, KS)
combined both degrees GPA
cGPA= 3.1
sGPA= 2.98
-Work experience: Medical equipment sales, Medical Assistant in neurology, nephrology, internal medicine, Phlebotomist, currently Medical Technologist worked in Molecular Diagnostic testing for 2 years, now work as a generalist (microbiology, hematology, coagulation, chemistry, urinalysis, immunohematology so I work in all areas) and do phlebotomy daily as part of the job and sometimes help the nurses out if they need it (total 3+ years experience) @ least 2000 hours direct patient care. More if you count the phlebotomy I do as a medical technologist.
-Volunteer work: @ Pittsburg state volunteered with the recycling center (15-20 hrs), random community service with frat. and men against violence group (20 hrs) , special Olympics several times and still helping out (20-28 hrs)., clinical intern at rural hospital as a medical technologist (40 hrs), student intern at UNMC free health clinics (3 different clinics 10 hrs) ~120 hours total so far maybe more
-Shadow experience: 40+ hours with a DO in internal medicine, ~40 hours with another DO in general surgery (observed his PA's as well)
biggest thoughts are its been ~5-6 years since I did my core science classes. should I go back and do them again, not counting the clinical science classes I did to become a medical technologist (all clinical classes: hematology 1/2, chemistry 1/2, coagulation 1/2, microbiology 1/2, urinalysis 1/2, immunohematology 1/2, molecular, etc.)
If I retook the core science classes I did poorly in, would that really help me much since I have 189 credit hours/569 overall points? the science classes would be General Chem 1/2, Organic 1/2, Bio 2, Cell Biology, Immunology (I know I can do better now in them as I actually understand the stuff now "connected the dots"). BUT IS IT WORTH IT? WILL IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR MY APPLICATION?