acceptance packet from NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
if you live in queens then essentially the cost of living is down to nothing (provided that your parents will let you live there for free, I know my parents won't haha sucks for me)

I need to crunch some numbers myself once I get this packet....

My parents want me to live with them forever. They have been trying to bribe me to stay at home for the longest time. I am an only child.

Poor thing, we can switch places if you want. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

My parents want me to live with them forever. They have been trying to bribe me to stay at home for the longest time. I am an only child.

Poor thing, we can switch places if you want. :laugh:

you wouldn't wanna switch places with me once you know my parents :laugh:

well anyways heres hoping to finding a scholarship when I do get the packet :xf:

you wouldn't wanna switch places with me once you know my parents :laugh:

well anyways heres hoping to finding a scholarship when I do get the packet :xf:

haha. Good Luck!!! :luck:

By the way, I am not URM.

FYI- I am a half greek and italian female. URM's get higher scholarships.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha. Good Luck!!! :luck:

By the way, I am not URM.

FYI- I am a half greek and italian female, so not URM. URM's get higher scholarships.

:eek: damn I wish I am black/hispanic/native right now

I'm an ORM - over represented minority. Sigh being asian sucks:mad::bang::thumbdown:

Received...well no scholarship, but I'm still happy. At least I'm accepted. Btw I'm ORM too

was expected to receive the package today but nothing...T.T

I'm starting to freak out that my acceptance email was a glitch and I didnt get in. where is this packetttttttt???

I just got it through the mail. I got a $20,000 scholarship. It is still more than state schools. Ugh I hate making decisions. lol
Wow, congratulations...where your stats over AA21? how they decided on scholarship? based on financial needs or academic performance?

Wow, congratulations...where your stats over AA21? how they decided on scholarship? based on financial needs or academic performance?

Purely merit. I have a 26 AA and a 4.0.

I know that later on if I put down the fee I may qualify for a financial need scholarship since I do recieve TAP. I need to call and ask before I make my final decision.

I'm starting to freak out that my acceptance email was a glitch and I didnt get in. where is this packetttttttt???

omg me too..........glitch.............gives me shiver =_=................

I just got it through the mail. I got a $20,000 scholarship. It is still more than state schools. Ugh I hate making decisions. lol

Was it regular snail mail or UPS?

I just checked my regular mail box and nothing there. UPS didn't come yet.

Everyone calm down. It was not a glitch that you got an email. The letter/packet will arrive!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone in California gotten their acceptance packet yet?

Did anyone from manhattan get the packet?

Got mine today. No scholarships. Although I wasn't expecting one.

I received the packet..and i was awarded $20k scholarship per year.. idk if im going tho, I'm expecting to get scholarships from other schools also..only time will tellllllll :)

has anyone else still not gotten it yet or am i the only one? i live in brooklyn too so i thought i would have gotten it sooner than most. i guess i should give them a call tomorrow

I got my acceptance letter in the mail today, and the 20k/year scholarship as well! I'll be turning NYU down though, so I'm sure someone else will get it.:)

Long Island, NY. got mine today! no scholarship though :( Maybe enough people will turn theirs down haha. I still have an interview left at my state school anyways :)

So what exactly are scholarships based on? From what I remember, they said they are not necessarily for people with the top stats. For those of you who received one, what do you think made you stand out?
Thanks!

So what exactly are scholarships based on? From what I remember, they said they are not necessarily for people with the top stats. For those of you who received one, what do you think made you stand out?
Thanks!

It said it was based soley on merit. I have a 4.0 gpa and a 26. I think 3.9+ and 22+ makes you stand out for one of these scholarships.

It said it was based soley on merit. I have a 4.0 gpa and a 26. I think 3.9+ and 22+ makes you stand out for one of these scholarships.

Haha, yours is definitely merit :p With those stats, you deserve a full ride (if such a thing existed, ehh). Congrats!!

Haha, yours is definitely merit :p With those stats, you deserve a full ride (if such a thing existed, ehh). Congrats!!

Thanks! I probably will decline the offer, though. One of you lucky future NYU students can get it :D

Thanks! I probably will decline the offer, though. One of you lucky future NYU students can get it :D
Although you probably don't know the answer, would you speculate that when people such as yourself decline the acceptance so therefore also the scholarship that it could then go to students who have already received their packages? I'm noticing that alot of people with the top stats tend to decline in favor of state schools, so im just crossing my fingers that somehow itll trickle down to those of us with 'above average' but not top stats. maybe it's just wishful thinking?

Although you probably don't know the answer, would you speculate that when people such as yourself decline the acceptance so therefore also the scholarship that it could then go to students who have already received their packages? I'm noticing that alot of people with the top stats tend to decline in favor of state schools, so im just crossing my fingers that somehow itll trickle down to those of us with 'above average' but not top stats. maybe it's just wishful thinking?

I think that it does actually. I heard from this site that some people recieve schoalrship award letters in January. Most of us to chose state schools because even with an 80K scholarship over the course of 4 years, we still would be spending more money on tuition, which would accrue interest. I sure hope it does go to you hardworking inviduals! You above average people ought to be rewarded. :p

I completely understand why people choose state schools if possible! I have an interview with UB in a few weeks, and if I get it it's definitely the smarter financial choice. It's just tough because I totally fell in love with NYU at the interview. However, I won't count any chickens before they hatch--if I don't get into UB, there wont be any decision to make :)

Out of curiosity, where are you headed if you don't mind me asking? :D

I have noticed that a lot of people will be declining nyu. Is that decision purely based financials for most? I sure thought the facility and everything was wonderful, but the price not so much of course!

Out of curiosity, where are you headed if you don't mind me asking? :D

I have noticed that a lot of people will be declining nyu. Is that decision purely based financials for most? I sure thought the facility and everything was wonderful, but the price not so much of course!

I did like NYU as well! I liked the lobby and the fast-paced environment.

I was thinking probably Stony Brook. It is $100,000 cheaper than NYU and other private schools. It is pretty hard to get into.

When I shadowed, the dentist I was assisting told me she wanted to go to Stony brook but she didn't get in so she went to NYU. She pretty much instilled in me a desire to go there.

I still don't know though, I also liked UConn a lot. I hate making life altering decisions. :)

I was thinking probably Stony Brook. It is $100,000 cheaper than NYU and other private schools. It is pretty hard to get into.

When I shadowed, the dentist I was assisting told me she wanted to go to Stony brook but she didn't get in so she went to NYU. She pretty much instilled in me a desire to go there.

I still don't know though, I also liked UConn a lot. I hate making life altering decisions. :)
Decision making is coming up :) Stony Brook still your top pick? It's crazy that deposits are due in about 3 weeks!

UConn. Students seemed more happy and the clinic/facilities were way nicer.

If you have no intentions of OMFS, just go to Stony Brook. You could still do OMFS there as well but it's just more appropriate to go to UConn for OMFS because of their MD curriculum.

Got big white envelope today! Scholarship offered! Things got complicated for me now between NYU and NOVA!

Is there anyone who has not received the package yet? I haven't. I am wondering if I should call the admission's office.

Definitely call the office. I still haven't gotten mine in the mail, so it might be lost! But I called and they just scanned and emailed me all the documents

20k scholarship is a joke, that wont even cover food over 4 years in manhattan lol. I received a similar offer from a different school, I think they do that for oos applicants but I could be wrong

i think its 20 k per year..which is pretty significant

i think its 20 k per year..which is pretty significant

It is only significant if you aren't considering state schools. The scholarship makes the cost of attending NYU appoximately 8K more than state schools, so it really isn't much.

is there an option in the packet to decline my acceptance if I chose to do so?

20k scholarship is a joke, that wont even cover food over 4 years in manhattan lol. I received a similar offer from a different school, I think they do that for oos applicants but I could be wrong

it is $80,000 total..which is more than enough to cover food for 4 years :cool: