Acceptance Question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ping1050

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i just got my MCAT scores from April:
MCAT: 26N
GPA: 3.25 from Hope College (small liberal arts school)
My ECs are reasonable.
I am planning on applying to Osteopathic Medical schools but am not so sure after getting these awful MCAT scores. Is there any possible way that I can be accepted into one of the DO schools after scores like that? Is it worth retaking the MCAT in August?

Members don't see this ad.

ping1050 said:
My ECs are reasonable.
I am planning on applying to Osteopathic Medical schools but am not so sure after getting these awful MCAT scores. Is there any possible way that I can be accepted into one of the DO schools after scores like that? Is it worth retaking the MCAT in August?

Only take the MCAT again if you know you will do better, many people get the best score the first time they take it. If you wait for August, you will have a time disadvantage. My suggestion... apply, cross your fingers, hope for the best.

- :luck:

I don't agree that you'll be at a time disadvantage if you wait until August... btw.. people get in with worse MCAT scores than what you've got.... so it can be done with what you've got... think long and hard before you decide whether to battle the beast again.. I would go ahead and send apps in.. and ponder for a week or so whether you really want to take the test again....if you want, you can even wait to see if you receive any interviews leading up to August.. and decide based on that..

good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
adennis said:
I don't agree that you'll be at a time disadvantage if you wait until August... btw.. people get in with worse MCAT scores than what you've got.... so it can be done with what you've got... think long and hard before you decide whether to battle the beast again.. I would go ahead and send apps in.. and ponder for a week or so whether you really want to take the test again....if you want, you can even wait to see if you receive any interviews leading up to August.. and decide based on that..

good luck.

I agree. I got in with a 26Q and only slightly higher GPA stats. Don't give up!

ping1050 said:
My ECs are reasonable.

I think you'll be fine. MCATs are just one of a number of factors (e.g. character, volunteering, work ethic, etc.) that the admissions committee takes into consideration (and your scores are above average for mean acceptance scores at most DO schools). If the rest of these aforesaid factors are average to above average you'll have no problem getting accepted.

bbake87 said:
I think you'll be fine. MCATs are just one of a number of factors (e.g. character, volunteering, work ethic, etc.) that the admissions committee takes into consideration (and your scores are above average for mean acceptance scores at most DO schools). If the rest of these aforesaid factors are average to above average you'll have no problem getting accepted.

Yeah, DO schools generally put less emphasis on grades and MCAT's (from what I've observed) than allo schools do. If you've got rockin' EC's, that ought to make up for it.

Thanks for the replies. One last question...I am trying to figure out where to apply, and am a Michigan resident. Are there any notoriously easy schools regarding acceptance, such that I can use as a backup?

ping1050 said:
Thanks for the replies. One last question...I am trying to figure out where to apply, and am a Michigan resident. Are there any notoriously easy schools regarding acceptance, such that I can use as a backup?

I don't want to say the obvious, but you have a great program in your own backyard. Being an in-state student you are looking at a great advantage. plus the cost is unbeatable. i hope there is other criteria for choosing an easy acceptance other than easy acceptance, i.e. where you see yourself living for the next two to four years, rotations, cost, perks. Good luck and apply early<--this should be a mantra right now.

Mad Cow said:
I don't want to say the obvious, but you have a great program in your own backyard. Being an in-state student you are looking at a great advantage. plus the cost is unbeatable. i hope there is other criteria for choosing an easy acceptance other than easy acceptance, i.e. where you see yourself living for the next two to four years, rotations, cost, perks. Good luck and apply early<--this should be a mantra right now.

Before today, I was seriously looking at schools for location, program style, and prices. After getting my scores, I just want to be accepted somewhere. I actually live in East Lansing(home of MSU) so I will definitely apply to MSUCOM, AZCOM and TUCOM as my top choice schools. I just want to apply to a school or two where I have the best chance of getting in. And Im having a tough time narrowing down the schools I want to apply to, as at this point I would love to go anywhere that will take me. Any further suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I think you would have equal chances at most DO schools (maybe not KCOM). I got into 2 DO schools with almost the same MCAT and slightly higher GPA. I really feel like DO schools look more at your character, determination, motivation, and extracurriculars than MD schools. If you have good EC's (and a kicka$$ letter of rec) you should be fine to apply to any DO school you think you'd be happy at. The letter doesn't even necessarily have to be from a DO at alot of schools, my letters were all from MDs.

Ping-
have you considered CCOM or DMU? I am happily attending DMU this fall and I looked up some stats from their website. Although the age of this data is unknown, it prolly hasn't changed much:

http://www.dmu.edu/coms/applying.htm

GPA:
The class overall average GPA is 3.5 and the class science GPA is 3.41. Keep in mind that many individual grades make up an average. The range of grades is usually from 3.00 to 4.0.

MCAT:
The Admissions Committee likes to see a total of 24 or higher on the MCAT. These are not rigid requirements. MCAT scores are part of your overall application.

Experience:
Every accepted student has had some medically related experience which emphasized patient contact. The experience was either as an employee or as a volunteer, or both. Medical exposure is a requirement.

If this sounds like your ballpark, i'd consider applying. They have a great new building, a lot of OMM training, well-established, and that good ol down home Iowa friendliness.

Can I ask why you are paring down your choices if you feel that you are just wanting to get in anywhere? And finally, once is all said and done, and you get in, and you have to choose where to go, go with what your heart tells you(advice from EVERY school where I was interviewed). Good Luck.