Acceptance Rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brav989

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
wrong forum

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Brav989 said:
I am curious as to what is the "average" acceptance rate into a Dentistry program? I looked at the University of Washington School of Dentistry and it said about 6.3% of applicants were accepted. Is that around the national average? :eek:
Would you specify exactly what you mean by acceptance rate. Does this count the people that chose to marticulate somewhere else that were accepted. Because if this is true and only 6.3% are accepted it would show that many people apply to UW and most that are accepted marticulate there. This can't be the case everywhere because most likley these people that were accepted to UW were also accepted elsewhere which would make that other school have to have a higher acceptance percentage.

Okay so I'm basically asking of all people who apply for Dental school, how many of them actually get to fill a spot?

Members don't see this ad :)
it's around 50%

This is a complicated question primarily because we don’t have “good” data. In the US there are approximately 4500 seats for incoming students. The number of applicants ranges between 10,000 and 20,000, if you believe what you read on this board. Let’s say 15,000 this cycle (I hope it's less). So just using these numbers an applicant in the US has a 30% chance of acceptance. However, like I said it’s complicated. If you are “fortunate” enough to live in a state such as Georgia or Mississippi (and you apply to your states school) you chances go way up since you are only competing against the states applicant pool (they take zero from out of state). Conversely if you are not from these states you chances go down (but only slightly). Now we really don’t know what the acceptance rate is to the individual schools. What we do know is the approximate number of applicants each school has and the class size (number of matriculents). From this we can calculate the chances of an applicant attending a school (slightly different from the schools acceptance rate). Using historical data for UW, (I think this is from 2004, 700 applicants for 55 seats) the chance of an applicant matriculating is around 7.9%. Given the apparent increased number of applicants for this cycle you number of 6.3% acceptance rate may very well be correct. The real question in my mind is how many applicants are there total this cycle?