Acceptance rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dweji16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a question that may seem silly..

When you see that acceptance rates for a certain major is 40%, does that mean that 40% get accepted to some school, and that 60% don't get accepted anywhere at all, or do they average numbers from all the schools and get 40%. The latter would be for example, Bob got accepted at School A, and is part of that 40%, but not at school B, and is part of that 60% who didnt get accepted.

A little confused.

Members don't see this ad.

When you see that acceptance rates for a certain major is 40%, does that mean that 40% get accepted to some school, and that 60% don't get accepted anywhere at all, or do they average numbers from all the schools and get 40%. The latter would be for example, Bob got accepted at School A, and is part of that 40%, but not at school B, and is part of that 60% who didnt get accepted.

A little confused.

It's probably the former. What's the source?

Post this in the MCAT thread. Someone over there can help with MCAT questions. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Who cares really? What major you are is not going to matter one way or another to adcoms. Just cause you're the only one to major in snail reproductive psychology in the world doesn't mean you're going to get in and vice versa. Just focus on doing well in school and get a good GPA. Also applying is a crapshoot with no real rhyme or reason so just apply broadly unless you have a 4.0 and 45.

Who cares really? What major you are is not going to matter one way or another to adcoms. Just cause you're the only one to major in snail reproductive psychology in the world doesn't mean you're going to get in and vice versa. Just focus on doing well in school and get a good GPA. Also applying is a crapshoot with no real rhyme or reason so just apply broadly unless you have a 4.0 and 45.

The people who posted the data and the OP obviously. Why do you feel that someone needs a selfish reason to look at data? Maybe he's just curious.

Oops.. i should have clarified.

I just put a certain major as an example.. it could be anything really... GPA, MCAT score, or just applicants in general.

A little confused.

The former makes more sense and is the way the rest of the AAMC data work for acceptance rates. Most people don't get into more than 1-2 schools anyway (if they get into any at all), so that method makes the most sense.

The people who posted the data and the OP obviously. Why do you feel that someone needs a selfish reason to look at data? Maybe he's just curious.

Well let me ask you this question. Do you really think what your major in college was makes a large impact to whether or not you get into medical school? Plus, that was a rhetorical question. I don't quite understand why out of all the possibilities you respond to the rhetorical question. Are you trying to be annoying? Now here's a question that isn't rhetorical. Why do you even care that I asked that question to begin with?

Some people get into as many as seven schools! (maybe more but I know someone who got into seven).

AMCAS keeps the data and reports one or more acceptances by an applicant as an acceptance and no acceptances means no acceptances for that applicant at any US allopathic school (excluding Texas, I presume, which has its own system).

So, if 40% of people with a specific major were admitted this means that they got into one or more schools and that 60% of the applicants with that major didn't get in anywhere (at least not to allopathic schools in the US --not counting Texas).

However, don't go by the % admitted when deciding on a major. Do what suits your interests and the area in which you can achieve good grades and a good balance in your life.

Some people get into as many as seven schools! (maybe more but I know someone who got into seven).

AMCAS keeps the data and reports one or more acceptances by an applicant as an acceptance and no acceptances means no acceptances for that applicant at any US allopathic school (excluding Texas, I presume, which has its own system).

So, if 40% of people with a specific major were admitted this means that they got into one or more schools and that 60% of the applicants with that major didn't get in anywhere (at least not to allopathic schools in the US --not counting Texas).

However, don't go by the % admitted when deciding on a major. Do what suits your interests and the area in which you can achieve good grades and a good balance in your life.
redundant. we should never count texas :smuggrin:

Well let me ask you this question. Do you really think what your major in college was makes a large impact to whether or not you get into medical school?

I don't know. I'd have to look at the data, which is something you're staunchly opposed to.

Plus, that was a rhetorical question. I don't quite understand why out of all the possibilities you respond to the rhetorical question. Are you trying to be annoying?

If it was a rhetorical question, it had the intent of belittling what someone else was doing. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, my mistake. Yes, I was trying to be annoying, and you were succeeding.

Now here's a question that isn't rhetorical. Why do you even care that I asked that question to begin with?

Because of your arrogance in suggesting that someone shouldn't look at data if it has no bearing on their personal situation.

Ok Sauce, maybe I did come off a little arrogant but that's usually how I sound when I feel someone's asking a needless question. Yes, maybe to the OP it wasn't useless but this is besides the point (I'm sure you're going to argue with me next concerning the merits on who decides what's a stupid question or not). lol.

So, you're telling me that because you have not seen the data that you can't form an opinion. You're in medical school, just doing a rough survey of the people you know and what their majors are can't you at least formulate some kind of opinion? Wouldn't it be a safe bet to believe that a person doing ANY major in college short of "rolling around in dirt for 8 hours 101" should have a decent chance of getting into a medical school if they had a good GPA and MCAT score? Wouldn't you agree (which seems impossible between you and I) that it would NOT make sense to choose a particular major based on % of people of that particular major who got into med school? Because people of that major don't ALL apply to med school thereby influencing statistically the merit of using those percentages as a basis for a decision. That's why I think the original question was somewhat needless. Your major doesn't make you a good or appealing applicant, you the person makes a good candidate.

Where do you see data for acceptances based on major? That would be interesting to look at. So far all I've heard is that music is good (but would make me miserable!) and bio is nothing special.

Where do you see data for acceptances based on major? That would be interesting to look at. So far all I've heard is that music is good (but would make me miserable!) and bio is nothing special.

It's in the MSAR for sure (not specific majors, but general areas of stufy), but I'm sure the AMCAS posts it somewhere in their data archive.

Ok Sauce, maybe I did come off a little arrogant but that's usually how I sound when I feel someone's asking a needless question. Yes, maybe to the OP it wasn't useless but this is besides the point (I'm sure you're going to argue with me next concerning the merits on who decides what's a stupid question or not). lol.

Ha. I'll let this one go... :laugh:

So, you're telling me that because you have not seen the data that you can't form an opinion. You're in medical school, just doing a rough survey of the people you know and what their majors are can't you at least formulate some kind of opinion?

It's not so much that I can't form an opinion on it, but rather that I would caution to give advice without seeing the data. If I asked around, I might experience some sampling bias or some other confounding that might give me the illusion that I was right.

Wouldn't it be a safe bet to believe that a person doing ANY major in college short of "rolling around in dirt for 8 hours 101" should have a decent chance of getting into a medical school if they had a good GPA and MCAT score?

That's likely true, yes.

Wouldn't you agree (which seems impossible between you and I) that it would NOT make sense to choose a particular major based on % of people of that particular major who got into med school? Because people of that major don't ALL apply to med school thereby influencing statistically the merit of using those percentages as a basis for a decision.

I definitely agree that he shouldn't pick his major based on this (or any) data, but that doesn't make the data worthless. It's interesting to look at, if nothing else. It shouldn't be dismissed out of hand just because it isn't useful to him in choosing a major.

It's like looking at data about the rate of transmission of hepatitis from a needle stick. I don't plan on sticking myself with needles, but I'm curious about the data.

Fair enough sauce, I'm good with that.

I die a little inside every time someone says that

Me too :)

I grew up in SA, and people don't seem to understand that large cities are similar everywhere. There are progressives who live in Texas (especially in Austin :). I still miss it, although I probably won't ever move back...

Me too :)

I grew up in SA, and people don't seem to understand that large cities are similar everywhere. There are progressives who live in Texas (especially in Austin :). I still miss it, although I probably won't ever move back...

they do keep it weird over in Austin:D