Withdrawing Candidacy Post II Without an Acceptance

Started by frosty66
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

frosty66

Membership Revoked
Removed
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was lucky enough to receive interviews at 3 MD schools this cycle, with one being my dream school.

I was waitlisted at one school, and have yet to hear back from the other two (including my dream school).

I recently received the opportunity to work in a research position under an extremely successful and renowned physician scientist for a year. I’m interested in academic medicine and think that having this person as a mentor would be very valuable for my future career.

If I get accepted into my dream school, I would attend for sure. But if I were accepted into the other school I haven’t heard from yet, I think I would rather take the research position and reapply. I’m looking for insight into whether I should withdraw my candidacy, or wait to hear from them and potentially turn down an acceptance. Or if it’s a bad decision in general to choose a job opportunity like this over a medical school acceptance.

Looking online, I can see that turning down an acceptance is generally seen as a very stupid decision, which I totally understand. In my situation, would withdrawing before getting a decision be wise? Or is it ok to wait to hear from both schools, and potentially turn down an acceptance later on. I just worry that if I do end up deciding to take the research position and turn down an acceptance, I’d be dead in the water for future cycles.

Thank you in advance for any insights/advice.
 
I was lucky enough to receive interviews at 3 MD schools this cycle, with one being my dream school.

I was waitlisted at one school, and have yet to hear back from the other two (including my dream school).

I recently received the opportunity to work in a research position under an extremely successful and renowned physician scientist for a year. I’m interested in academic medicine and think that having this person as a mentor would be very valuable for my future career.

If I get accepted into my dream school, I would attend for sure. But if I were accepted into the other school I haven’t heard from yet, I think I would rather take the research position and reapply. I’m looking for insight into whether I should withdraw my candidacy, or wait to hear from them and potentially turn down an acceptance. Or if it’s a bad decision in general to choose a job opportunity like this over a medical school acceptance.

Looking online, I can see that turning down an acceptance is generally seen as a very stupid decision, which I totally understand. In my situation, would withdrawing before getting a decision be wise? Or is it ok to wait to hear from both schools, and potentially turn down an acceptance later on. I just worry that if I do end up deciding to take the research position and turn down an acceptance, I’d be dead in the water for future cycles.

Thank you in advance for any insights/advice.
Take the A. You can still do research while in med school
 
I was lucky enough to receive interviews at 3 MD schools this cycle, with one being my dream school.

I was waitlisted at one school, and have yet to hear back from the other two (including my dream school).

I recently received the opportunity to work in a research position under an extremely successful and renowned physician scientist for a year. I’m interested in academic medicine and think that having this person as a mentor would be very valuable for my future career.

If I get accepted into my dream school, I would attend for sure. But if I were accepted into the other school I haven’t heard from yet, I think I would rather take the research position and reapply. I’m looking for insight into whether I should withdraw my candidacy, or wait to hear from them and potentially turn down an acceptance. Or if it’s a bad decision in general to choose a job opportunity like this over a medical school acceptance.

Looking online, I can see that turning down an acceptance is generally seen as a very stupid decision, which I totally understand. In my situation, would withdrawing before getting a decision be wise? Or is it ok to wait to hear from both schools, and potentially turn down an acceptance later on. I just worry that if I do end up deciding to take the research position and turn down an acceptance, I’d be dead in the water for future cycles.

Thank you in advance for any insights/advice.
It’s within your discretion to withdraw from an opportunity you are not in favor of
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It’s within your discretion to withdraw from an opportunity you are not in favor of
Thank you very much for your reply. If I were to wait to decide on the research job until after getting a decision, and then potentially turn down an acceptance, would that be a red flag for future cycles? I know it’s all hypothetical as it’s not super likely I’d get an A anyways, but just trying to weigh my options
 
Thank you very much for your reply. If I were to wait to decide on the research job until after getting a decision, and then potentially turn down an acceptance, would that be a red flag for future cycles? I know it’s all hypothetical as it’s not super likely I’d get an A anyways, but just trying to weigh my options
If you end up reapplying just don’t apply to that school
 
If you end up reapplying just don’t apply to that school
Got it, thank you. I saw some conflicting information online regarding whether med schools could see if you’d been accepted at another school in a previous cycle and if it would lead to greatly reduced chances in future cycles. I appreciate the clarification.
 
I’m a super non trad. I turned down a DO acceptance because I had multiple interviews to MD programs (that resulted in waitlists) so I just knew I could do “better”. I’d beef up my application and I’d def get in next time. Well, that was 2022. It’s now 2026. Am I happy with the MD program I finally got accepted into this cycle? Absolutely. Would I probably be a doctor this May if I took the acceptance? Likely. I’m not telling you what to do, but really think about if it’s worth it. Multiple II’s one cycle, does not guarantee that you’ll get it again the next cycle. It may take years. Admissions teams change, profiles of candidates they are interested in can change etc. Just sharing my experience. If I didn’t have a job that paid very well these last few years, I would’ve probably felt like I wasted my time.
 
Delicious, a fresh Monday thread on which to project my own experiences onto. Early disclaimer. :laugh:

I cannot in good conscience advise you to drop everything to work with any one person in particular, especially when doing so comes at catastrophic cost to your forward momentum. You are not guaranteed to be admitted again; anything can happen in the period of time between cycles (if there even is a next one for you).

I worked, at one point, under a PI that promised me everything under the sun: mentorship, publications, a seat at the medical school explicitly (contingent on offering devotion above and beyond just effort). They were a founding dean, so no reason to believe they didn't intend on following through. Two years later I was dropping out of college, exhausted from doing all kinds of unpaid academic work and essentially running daily personal errands for someone that was clearly not interested in my education or personal experience.

I was "working" more than 12 hours a day but had very little to show for it, and it was starting to encroach on my grades to a point where I was just overtly failing, and no amount of pinky promises from them that I would be fine for med school satisfied the growing pit in my stomach that I was being straight up lied to.

At the time, I thought every successful person in medicine must be insane and abusive. We've all heard the stories... but as Type A people, we think most people are whiners, it'll never happen to me, I wouldn't let that happen... but things escalate. They know you are desperate and the cover of tenure makes some professors feel powerful relative to undergrads. Those opposing tensions will always lead to a one-down dynamic that even PIs with the best intentions can unintentionally leverage against you.

It was when they asked me to start coming in before the sun rises each day to clear their desk and throw out their trash prior to them arriving to campus at 7 AM that I realized... I'm not a student at all, I'm a butler in a white coat. It doesn't feel good to be had by someone you, at one point, profoundly admired. Never meet your heroes, etc, etc... I'll spare you the longer story, but I'll say this experience is not as uncommon as you might think.

Ultimately the PI was terminated for cause. Their reputation as faculty was dragged through the mud. They're on a job search in their late 60s. Of course the papers never manifested and had no influence on the adcom, so it was entirely a waste of my time: they made good on exactly zero of the promises they made to me all those years ago... and I did it all for free despite literally starving. And the most insulting part is that medical schools don't want to hear it... you kind of just have to swallow both the pain of experience and the resentment you develop as a result.

My advice is to take the A and run. Don't romanticize a potential mentor. Don't assume that powerful people will protect your best interest simply because they are personally accomplished. A medical degree is a solid credential nobody can take away from you. Even assuming this relationship to a potential PI goes off fabulously without a hitch, there's no telling whether or how life will interfere. Take the sure thing.
 
Last edited:
I was lucky enough to receive interviews at 3 MD schools this cycle, with one being my dream school.

I was waitlisted at one school, and have yet to hear back from the other two (including my dream school).

I recently received the opportunity to work in a research position under an extremely successful and renowned physician scientist for a year. I’m interested in academic medicine and think that having this person as a mentor would be very valuable for my future career.

If I get accepted into my dream school, I would attend for sure. But if I were accepted into the other school I haven’t heard from yet, I think I would rather take the research position and reapply. I’m looking for insight into whether I should withdraw my candidacy, or wait to hear from them and potentially turn down an acceptance. Or if it’s a bad decision in general to choose a job opportunity like this over a medical school acceptance.

Looking online, I can see that turning down an acceptance is generally seen as a very stupid decision, which I totally understand. In my situation, would withdrawing before getting a decision be wise? Or is it ok to wait to hear from both schools, and potentially turn down an acceptance later on. I just worry that if I do end up deciding to take the research position and turn down an acceptance, I’d be dead in the water for future cycles.

Thank you in advance for any insights/advice.
The worst mistake a candidate could make is to turn down their only acceptance.
 
I was lucky enough to receive interviews at 3 MD schools this cycle, with one being my dream school.

I was waitlisted at one school, and have yet to hear back from the other two (including my dream school).

I recently received the opportunity to work in a research position under an extremely successful and renowned physician scientist for a year. I’m interested in academic medicine and think that having this person as a mentor would be very valuable for my future career.

If I get accepted into my dream school, I would attend for sure. But if I were accepted into the other school I haven’t heard from yet, I think I would rather take the research position and reapply. I’m looking for insight into whether I should withdraw my candidacy, or wait to hear from them and potentially turn down an acceptance. Or if it’s a bad decision in general to choose a job opportunity like this over a medical school acceptance.

Looking online, I can see that turning down an acceptance is generally seen as a very stupid decision, which I totally understand. In my situation, would withdrawing before getting a decision be wise? Or is it ok to wait to hear from both schools, and potentially turn down an acceptance later on. I just worry that if I do end up deciding to take the research position and turn down an acceptance, I’d be dead in the water for future cycles.

Thank you in advance for any insights/advice.
Unless the MD schools you are considering dropping are schools that you would never matriculate to even if accepted (regardless of your situation with this PI), I would strongly recommend *not* holding off on your education and future career for this research opportunity:
  • You are likely overestimating the impact that this PI will have on your future career,
  • Even a successful research year (best case scenario) may not necessarily lead to an acceptance at a "better" school next year,
  • Your career goals (specialty, academic vs private practice, etc.) may change, and the research you do as a medical student and resident onwards is more likely to be targeted towards your eventual specialty and career goals, and
  • Any guidance that they can provide can likely be provided by other faculty members at the school you matriculate to.
Ultimately, it is your choice, but dropping your waitlists would be a stupid decision in my opinion, unless (again) these are schools that you would simply never matriculate to. Just my thoughts.
 
Delicious, a fresh Monday thread on which to project my own experiences onto. Early disclaimer. :laugh:

I cannot in good conscience advise you to drop everything to work with any one person in particular, especially when doing so comes at catastrophic cost to your forward momentum. You are not guaranteed to be admitted again; anything can happen in the period of time between cycles (if there even is a next one for you).

I worked, at one point, under a PI that promised me everything under the sun: mentorship, publications, a seat at the medical school explicitly (contingent on offering devotion above and beyond just effort). They were a founding dean, so no reason to believe they didn't intend on following through. Two years later I was dropping out of college, exhausted from doing all kinds of unpaid academic work and essentially running daily personal errands for someone that was clearly not interested in my education or personal experience.

I was "working" more than 12 hours a day but had very little to show for it, and it was starting to encroach on my grades to a point where I was just overtly failing, and no amount of pinky promises from them that I would be fine for med school satisfied the growing pit in my stomach that I was being straight up lied to.

At the time, I thought every successful person in medicine must be insane and abusive. We've all heard the stories... but as Type A people, we think most people are whiners, it'll never happen to me, I wouldn't let that happen... but things escalate. They know you are desperate and the cover of tenure makes some professors feel powerful relative to undergrads. Those opposing tensions will always lead to a one-down dynamic that even PIs with the best intentions can unintentionally leverage against you.

It was when they asked me to start coming in before the sun rises each day to clear their desk and throw out their trash prior to them arriving to campus at 7 AM that I realized... I'm not a student at all, I'm a butler in a white coat. It doesn't feel good to be had by someone you, at one point, profoundly admired. Never meet your heroes, etc, etc... I'll spare you the longer story, but I'll say this experience is not as uncommon as you might think.

Ultimately the PI was terminated for cause. Their reputation as faculty was dragged through the mud. They're on a job search in their late 60s. Of course the papers never manifested and had no influence on the adcom, so it was entirely a waste of my time: they made good on exactly zero of the promises they made to me all those years ago... and I did it all for free despite literally starving. And the most insulting part is that medical schools don't want to hear it... you kind of just have to swallow both the pain of experience and the resentment you develop as a result.

My advice is to take the A and run. Don't romanticize a potential mentor. Don't assume that powerful people will protect your best interest simply because they are personally accomplished. A medical degree is a solid credential nobody can take away from you. Even assuming this relationship to a potential PI goes off fabulously without a hitch, there's no telling whether or how life will interfere. Take the sure thing.
Thank you for your advice, and I'm sorry that you had to go through that!! I hope that your experiences since then have been more positive
 
Thank you for your advice, and I'm sorry that you had to go through that!! I hope that your experiences since then have been more positive

Ah, it's all water under the bridge—and in the end, they got their just deserts. Understanding what happened and how to identify and avoid it in the future was a way for me to emotionally process. Now I write about it to warn others about things nobody told me (but that I would have liked to hear).

In my low moments, I think to the classic, Legally Blonde (unfortch external GIFs are not supported, but imagine her mouth is moving):
1773179381872.png