Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was lucky enough to receive interviews at 3 MD schools this cycle, with one being my dream school.
I was waitlisted at one school, and have yet to hear back from the other two (including my dream school).
I recently received the opportunity to work in a research position under an extremely successful and renowned physician scientist for a year. I’m interested in academic medicine and think that having this person as a mentor would be very valuable for my future career.
If I get accepted into my dream school, I would attend for sure. But if I were accepted into the other school I haven’t heard from yet, I think I would rather take the research position and reapply. I’m looking for insight into whether I should withdraw my candidacy, or wait to hear from them and potentially turn down an acceptance. Or if it’s a bad decision in general to choose a job opportunity like this over a medical school acceptance.
Looking online, I can see that turning down an acceptance is generally seen as a very stupid decision, which I totally understand. In my situation, would withdrawing before getting a decision be wise? Or is it ok to wait to hear from both schools, and potentially turn down an acceptance later on. I just worry that if I do end up deciding to take the research position and turn down an acceptance, I’d be dead in the water for future cycles.
Thank you in advance for any insights/advice.
I was waitlisted at one school, and have yet to hear back from the other two (including my dream school).
I recently received the opportunity to work in a research position under an extremely successful and renowned physician scientist for a year. I’m interested in academic medicine and think that having this person as a mentor would be very valuable for my future career.
If I get accepted into my dream school, I would attend for sure. But if I were accepted into the other school I haven’t heard from yet, I think I would rather take the research position and reapply. I’m looking for insight into whether I should withdraw my candidacy, or wait to hear from them and potentially turn down an acceptance. Or if it’s a bad decision in general to choose a job opportunity like this over a medical school acceptance.
Looking online, I can see that turning down an acceptance is generally seen as a very stupid decision, which I totally understand. In my situation, would withdrawing before getting a decision be wise? Or is it ok to wait to hear from both schools, and potentially turn down an acceptance later on. I just worry that if I do end up deciding to take the research position and turn down an acceptance, I’d be dead in the water for future cycles.
Thank you in advance for any insights/advice.
