Can you explain the loan situation a little better? Are you saying you can't get federal loans through this school?Hello. I hope this is a unique enough situation to post here. I've been fortunate enough to get 3 DO interview invites so far. One of them turned into an acceptance, the other two are waitlists.
My issue is this. The DO school I was accepted to happens to be the brand new DO school in the central valley, and I'm hesitant for a few reasons. For starters, no federal loans means my parents would likely have to cosign for me, and from what I've been able to gather their credit is "shaky" at best. I'll be in contact with a few loan agencies and probably the school's financial advisor over the next few weeks to flesh my exact situation, but so far it isn't pretty. Besides that I'm also a bit concerned with how new they are, and how hard matching into something besides primary care will be. I'm not looking to break into the ivory tower of elite academic medicine and I understand I probably won't get into something like ortho or derm without some incredible laundry list of accomplishments and powerful connections, but I am interested in exploring historically friendly DO specialties (EM, Radiology, Neurology, Anesthesia, etc) in addition to IM and FM as career options.
So I guess what I want to know boils down to this:
1) If I turn down this acceptance and reapply, is this something other schools would be privy to?
2) If yes to question 1, then would the issue of private loans and lack of cosigners be a reasonable explanation for turning away a coveted seat to medical school?
3) If I am somehow able to scrape together the cosigners to attend this new DO in the fall (and assuming both my waitlists remain waitlists), what kind of uphill battle will I have to fight to match into something that isn't primary care?
4) Am I being insane here for even considering a reapp!?
I've seen countless threads that basically peg turning down an acceptance as lethal in a re-applicant, and even more threads that completely mock students for applying and gaining acceptances to places they eventually decide they don't want to attend. For what its worth, this private loan business was something I was absolutely not aware about before so much as interviewing. I also didn't consider that graduating from such a new school could possibly harm my residency outcomes. I figured if the school was on AACOMAS it was about as safe as any other school on the site in terms of financing the education.
For some background, I'm an ORM from Northern California with a sgpa of 3.29, cgpa of 3.4X, and a single MCAT of 514 taken in August of 2020. No undergrad loans. My application this cycle felt fairly rushed and delayed (didnt complete at most places DO or MD until September/October). EC wise I've got a standard 100ish hours of shadowing scattered over my college years with a DO letter, a few internships (mostly natural sciences/non-clinically related, but I had some important interactions that I cite later on), a medical mission (which I know isn't a "real" domestic clinical experience), some clinical volunteering which I began after my MCAT, and a few other things. In the case I decide to reapply I'll likely be working as an EMT or scribe or something to actually have 100-200 total clinical hours while taking additional classes at a local CC to bring up my science gpa, and of course I'll be submitting my secondaries before the end of July. Thanks in advance
1. On your DO application, you will have to mark that you are a reapplicant.
3. This is something that circulates through the pre-med community. YOU ARE NOT LOCKED INTO PRIMARY CARE GOING TO ANY DO PROGRAM. You can get into a ton of specialties as a DO. All medical schools supply you (for the most part) with the same medical knowledge. The amount of studying YOU do and how well you do on your exams, boards, research, LOR is what dictates where you land for residency. It IS tougher as a DO to match into competitive specialties, but it can be done. My point is that there are students at Harvard who get 220 on their Step 1 and there were students at my DO school who scored 265+ on Step. Does that mean that my DO school supplied the student with better info? The student just worked their a** off to do well and you can too. One thing that is shaky about new DO schools is that a lot of the time their clinical rotations are not up to par yet as they are still working that out.
Now comes the do I take the acceptance and start or do I reapply. If you reapply, you will likely get more DO interviews next cycle if you can boost your clinical hours and non-clinical volunteer hours. Also, I assume you weren't thinking about taking a gap year which would be another path you could take. If you did a year post-bac and did well, you could reapply MD and have a good shot as your MCAT is good.
This is really up to you. I would never advise you to go to a new DO school, BUT it's up to you if that's your only acceptance. Medical schools are not going anywhere so if you want to reapply after a gap year that would also be a good option.