acceptance withdrawl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

touchfish

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I accepted an offer from school A and paid the deposit. Now I got an offer from school B and decided to go there instead of school A. Do I need to withdraw my acceptance at school A at the same time? Is it okay if I reserve both spots?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

touchfish said:
I accepted an offer from school A and paid the deposit. Now I got an offer from school B and decided to go there instead of school A. Do I need to withdraw my acceptance at school A at the same time? Is it okay if I reserve both spots?

Thanks!

If you are definitely going to attend School B, then you should withdraw your acceptance from School A. This will allow School A to offer that position to someone else. Some people need plenty of time to prepare to go to pharmacy school (leaving a job, possibly moving across town, state, or country, etc.). The sooner that spot can be given to someone else, the better. I think it's the courteous thing to release your spot if you know for sure that you will be attending School B.

I believe that you can reserve both of your spots for certain time, but you have to withdraw the School A as soon as you can in order to have School A to "electronically release" you, or you cannot attend both School A and B.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
touchfish said:

Thanks!
I would let school A know if I were in your shoes. I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened. Why would you need to reserve both spots anyway?

I heard that certain schools "lock" your admission after you get accepted and paid the deposit. That means that they make your information unaccessible to other schools through the Pharmcas. So if you get accepted later on, and school B sees that you are admitted to school A on the pharmcas, they might deny acceptance. So just for safety and as a courtesy for people on the waitlist, you should withdraw your acceptance if you are really sure that you are going to school B. Good luck! :)

chichan said:
I heard that certain schools "lock" your admission after you get accepted and paid the deposit. That means that they make your information unaccessible to other schools through the Pharmcas. So if you get accepted later on, and school B sees that you are admitted to school A on the pharmcas, they might deny acceptance. So just for safety and as a courtesy for people on the waitlist, you should withdraw your acceptance if you are really sure that you are going to school B. Good luck! :)

Not saying that this isn't true, but I've never heard this. To me it'd be ridiculous being that you are spending your own money to apply to these schools and to hold deposits. I think the only way that you couldn't change your mind as to which school to attend was if there was a legal contract signed between you and the school, and I haven't heard of even that occurring. Did a PharmCAS representative or a school official tell you this?

FutureRxGal said:
Not saying that this isn't true, but I've never heard this. To me it'd be ridiculous being that you are spending your own money to apply to these schools and to hold deposits. I think the only way that you couldn't change your mind as to which school to attend was if there was a legal contract signed between you and the school, and I haven't heard of even that occurring. Did a PharmCAS representative or a school official tell you this?

Well, it's not that you cannot change your mind after you have paid the deposit, but from what I heard from a USC representative, after you've accepted the admission offer and you are interested in attending another school, it's better to cancel the first offer before taking the second because the pharmcas shows that you are committed to the first school. That was according to USC. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks guys! I will email school A and withdraw my acceptance tomorrow. I am still not so sure if school B is absolutely better than school A... but I think school B is probably where I wanna go. I am worried that I will regret not choosing school A if I later find out that I am not happy at school B... :confused:

I was in the USC interview. From my understanding, the school tells pharmcas in May. In other words, schools will not be able to know if you have accepted the offer from other school from Pharmcas until May. Therefore, i think if we withdraw before May, it should be OK. Please correct me if I am wrong.

chichan said:
I heard that certain schools "lock" your admission after you get accepted and paid the deposit. That means that they make your information unaccessible to other schools through the Pharmcas. So if you get accepted later on, and school B sees that you are admitted to school A on the pharmcas, they might deny acceptance.

Yes and no. I know that schools such as UCSD and UCSF share their acceptance list and if they see that you are on both lists, they will call you up and ask you to make a decision immediately about which school you want to attend. Otherwise, I would've accepted both UCSF and UCSD and had more than 4 days to think about which to accept ;)

Best of luck!