Accepted already?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WSDriller

WSDriller
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that schools cannot tell applicants officially if they are accepted. However, I have heard people say that they got the feeling at there interviews, that they felt as if they were being led to believe that they should begin looking for a place in that particular city. Unofficial acceptance I guess. Anybody had such an experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't listen to anything anyone on SDN or the admissions staff says about being a shoe-in to be accepted. An acceptance letter is the only way to be positive that you are accepted (assuming you meet their requirements to matriculate).

Case told me that they "would see me in cleveland next fall."
Ohio State said that "they think I am going to get in".

I won't sell the farm until I have it in writing though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmmm. All the schools that I applied to sent me letters saying that they were very happy to receive my application. I just figured that meant I was a shoe-in. Is this not so?:confused:

Hmmmm. All the schools that I applied to sent me letters saying that they were very happy to receive my application. I just figured that meant I was a shoe-in. Is this not so?:confused:

that just means they have ur application and stuff all complete. Untill u get that letter saying come to see us for an interview, u are still shoe-out. But hey i see u had few so u are not in a bad shape. Good luck!

competition must be stiff this year. Last year dental schools find out I was going to apply and before aadsas was sent out I was being recruited heavily by most of the Big Ten conference schools and a couple in the Pac10. I chose Temple mainly because of the football program and they gave me the sweetest recruiting trip.

They also told me that if I chose them they would let me pay them 43K a year to play with wax and learn about the uric acid cycle and distinguish liver tissue from splenic tissue.

In all seriousness, case western is very good at 'dropping an agressive hint' on whether or not you will be granted an acceptance letter.

that just means they have ur application and stuff all complete. Untill u get that letter saying come to see us for an interview, u are still shoe-out. But hey i see u had few so u are not in a bad shape. Good luck!
Thank you for the encouragement, it is appreciated. However, I can't believe you bit on my sarcasm. Nonetheless, your sincere answer and encouragement are appreciated. I'll try to make my sarcasm more apparent next time;) :D

The OWLS are 0-8? Do you think they can make it a perfect season?

Edit: Nope, they blew it. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2641919 Ruined a 20 game losing streak.

What lame o's...they could have totally dropped the ball just once more to go for the record...

and sorry I never got back to that PM. I had a test I was studying for and it was a hectic week! Hope you got your question answered :D

last year i was told at one school that i would "have no trouble getting accepted" and then i got a rejection letter the first week of december. until you have an acceptance in your hand then it doesn't matter what anyone anywhere tells you.

last year i was told at one school that i would "have no trouble getting accepted" and then i got a rejection letter the first week of december. until you have an acceptance in your hand then it doesn't matter what anyone anywhere tells you.

I wonder why these things happen..? WHY?
maybe the interviewer likes the candidate but when the decision goes to the committee meeting for voting.. the candidate just doesnt get enough votes?

OR what?? can somebody explain this?
I am getting scared already ...

I wonder why these things happen..? WHY?
maybe the interviewer likes the candidate but when the decision goes to the committee meeting for voting.. the candidate just doesnt get enough votes?

OR what?? can somebody explain this?
I am getting scared already ...

i think you're right. when i contacted the school to ask what i needed to do to get accepted this year they didn't have much feedback. mostly stuff like, "keep up your grades, don't do drugs" etc. i think in the end there's such a HUGE chance factor that anything could happen, and that's why someone w/ a 3.3 gpa might get accepted to 4 schools and then someone w/ a 3.7 might only get accepted to one or two.

++times in the application process left up to chance+++
1) DAT questions--> some people get easy ones, some get weird hard ones

2) GPA--> some classes are taught by easy professors one semester and the next the prof is some jerk w/ a chip on his/her shoulder

3) AADSAS--> perhaps the biggest question mark in the whole process... sometimes they send your stuff, sometimes they take a 3 month vacation

4) LOR's--> some people are good at writing letters and sending them in. some people are brain dead.

5) School's getting to your application in the huge stack of 2,000+ applications--> your application may be the one application accidently stuck in the wrong folder in the wrong file on the wrong floor seen by the wrong person on the wrong day after a bad night of sleep

6) interview date--> sometimes you get a really early date and sometimes you get a date in the year 2014

7) interviewer--> some people like you and some people don't.

8) adcom final decision or lack thereof--> maybe they just reviewed the application from a former brain surgeon who suddenly wants to do dentistry. you just won't impress them after that.

9) # of spots left vs. # of applications that could get accepted--> if there are 100 good applicants come Feb 1 and only 3 spots, who gets in? i'll bet some schools really do play paper-rock-scissors.

that's just the first 9 things i can think of. there are probably lots more.

i think you're right. when i contacted the school to ask what i needed to do to get accepted this year they didn't have much feedback. mostly stuff like, "keep up your grades, don't do drugs" etc. i think in the end there's such a HUGE chance factor that anything could happen, and that's why someone w/ a 3.3 gpa might get accepted to 4 schools and then someone w/ a 3.7 might only get accepted to one or two.

2) GPA--> some classes are taught by easy professors one semester and the next the prof is some jerk w/ a chip on his/her shoulder

3) AADSAS--> perhaps the biggest question mark in the whole process... sometimes they send your stuff, sometimes they take a 3 month vacation

4) LOR's--> some people are good at writing letters and sending them in. some people are brain dead.

5) School's getting to your application in the huge stack of 2,000+ applications--> your application may be the one application accidently stuck in the wrong folder in the wrong file on the wrong floor seen by the wrong person on the wrong day after a bad night of sleep

6) interview date--> sometimes you get a really early date and sometimes you get a date in the year 2014

8) adcom final decision or lack thereof--> maybe they just reviewed the application from a former brain surgeon who suddenly wants to do dentistry. you just won't impress them after that.

9) # of spots left vs. # of applications that could get accepted--> if there are 100 good applicants come Feb 1 and only 3 spots, who gets in? i'll bet some schools really do play paper-rock-scissors.

10) Too much sugar in coffee-----> drinking coffee with too much sugar before the interview cause you to freeze randomly and shiver like you are on drugs during the interview

10) Too much sugar in coffee-----> drinking coffee with too much sugar before the interview cause you to freeze randomly and shiver like you are on drugs during the interview
good point. i bet showing up w/ meth mouth counts against you as well

Great post!

11) one or all of your interviewers never makes it to the adcom meeting to represent you. yes, this actually can happen :eek: which is why i am thinking about hiring a private detective and body guards to insure the safe travel of my interviewers to the adcom meeting :p

wow, how much do they cost. I'll do whatever it takes. I was thinking of having the ADCOM meeting catered and putting subliminal messages all over saying "accept smack, he's good"

what else could we do to ensure our acceptance?

hmmm..
I wonder how much a team of bodyguards costs? I can write it off filing for my taxes and put it under business expenses.

i've actually invented a remote controlled force field that could be used for such cases. i'll rent it out to y'all. just send me $50 and i'll take care of it for you.