Accepted at DO program but Waitlisted to MD.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allanMED15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been very lucky to have been accepted to several DO programs. I have brought that list down just to UNECOM. However, I am waitlisted in the top 3rd of the Alternate list at my state school. Both schools start on July 31st. While it is unlikely that it would pan out this way, if I were to be given an offer to my state school (The last day to be accepted would be the day that classes start), would that be allowed? Will I technically have matriculated to UNECOM by going through orientation even if classes hadn't started?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
People start schools and then get off the waitlist and go to others. Might be a pain in the butt for financial aid and breaking a lease but it can be done

People start schools and then get off the waitlist and go to others. Might be a pain in the butt for financial aid and breaking a lease but it can be done

Ok good to know. Does going to orientation count as matriculating?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok good to know. Does going to orientation count as matriculating?

Why are you worried about matriculating or not? You get In, you go. It doesn't matter if you started the DO program. Idk if it counts as matriculation. My guess is not. Orientation isn't part of the curriculum

Reactions: 1 users
Why are you worried about matriculating or not? You get In, you go. It doesn't matter if you started the DO program. Idk if it counts as matriculation. My guess is not. Orientation isn't part of the curriculum

Got it.

I would send a letter of intent to said MD school. And call them and explain the predicament.
What is the protocol for this? @Goro

I mean I've always read that LOI's don't really have much of an effect except in very specific circumstances. I seriously doubt being accepted to a DO school but wanting to go to an MD school so much closer to home will have much of an effect. Also, the waitlist is ranked so they just go down the list until they fill the class.

I would send a letter of intent to said MD school. And call them and explain the predicament.
What is the protocol for this? @Goro
LOIs are worthless, unless one is dealing with a needy school that likes seeing people grovel.
I think OP should drop the accept and fix the app so that MD schools will find them more preferable. OP clearly doesn't want to be a DO, and so I'd rather see the seat go to someone who wants to be a doctor, right now, and doesn't mind not being an orthopod, general surgeon, or dermatologist.

Reactions: 4 users
I am in the same boat but with KCU and southern Illinois' AWPA list But I truly feel that I will be happy at either school.

LOIs are worthless, unless one is dealing with a needy school that likes seeing people grovel.
I think OP should drop the accept and fix the app so that MD schools will find them more preferable. OP clearly doesn't want to be a DO, and so I'd rather see the seat go to someone who wants to be a doctor, right now, and doesn't mind not being an orthopod, general surgeon, or dermatologist.

I have no problem at all being a DO. I wouldn't have applied if I did. This was all a hypothetical situation that is very unlikely to happen. With the DO school being all the way up in Maine and my state school being in TN, it's mainly an issue of location/being close to home and not the degree conferred by the institution.

Reactions: 5 users
I have no problem at all being a DO. I wouldn't have applied if I did. This was all a hypothetical situation that is very unlikely to happen. With the DO school being all the way up in Maine and my state school being in TN, it's mainly an issue of location/being close to home and not the degree conferred by the institution.

Ya don't worry about it mate. Goro is great for a lot of things and I agree if you'll have the inferiority complex then drop the DO. But your situation doesn't sound like that. Don't underestimate geography. A lot of classmates did and they have been miserable all of med school.

Reactions: 2 users
You really think DO's cant become Orthopods, surgeons, or dermatologists? I get that its harder as a DO, but it is isn't out of the question... Is it?

Members don't see this ad :)
You really think DO's cant become Orthopods, surgeons, or dermatologists? I get that its harder as a DO, but it is isn't out of the question... Is it?
About 5% of my grads have gone into ACGMS Gen Surg; none have made it into Derm or Ortho. KCU has sent people to Derm at the Mayo Clinic. Whether these are Lotto winners, or door kickers is unknown to me.

Jefferson also appears to be one of the needy.

and doesn't mind not being an orthopod, general surgeon, or dermatologist.

One of these is not like the others. General surgery is not in the same league as the other two in terms of competitiveness. Competitive yes, but not outrageously so. I have no idea how this idea got started on SDN, but I've talked to current med students and residents and general surgery is definitely doable/a reasonable goal as a DO. The data available also supports this.

If you are strictly talking ACGME then yeah it is more competitive than AOA, but still not in the realm of ortho or derm (or even close to it honestly)

I am 100% discussing ACGME residencies.
One of these is not like the others. General surgery is not in the same league as the other two in terms of competitiveness. Competitive yes, but not outrageously so. I have no idea how this idea got started on SDN, but I've talked to current med students and residents and general surgery is definitely doable/a reasonable goal as a DO. The data available also supports this.

If you are strictly talking ACGME then yeah it is more competitive than AOA, but still not in the realm of ortho or derm (or even close to it honestly)

you have to do what best for you. If on the first day of D.O. school, and your M.D. state school call, it is no brainer , quit and go to MD school; it is so much less hoop to go around as M.D. (no OMM is a starter). D.O. schools understand that, that why most school has 1000-2000 dollar deposit that you would lose. A couple of our classmate quit on us the first day too, D.O. school also have no problem to call the next in line. All is good.

Don't listen to Goro. His school may not take LOIs seriously, but I can tell you for a fact that a student with an LOI would be prefered over one that doesn't have one at my school.

We had a student in my class do this; it's rare timing works out like that but technically allowed. The only thing you're out is that you'll have paid double the moving costs and double the matriculation fees.

The real question is if you even want the DO acceptance-- if you don't get accepted MD will you be happy as a DO? Or will you regret it your whole life or be one of the people posting about trying to transfer? There's a gazillion pro/con threads on this, and only you know the right answer for you.

We had a student in my class do this; it's rare timing works out like that but technically allowed. The only thing you're out is that you'll have paid double the moving costs and double the matriculation fees.

The real question is if you even want the DO acceptance-- if you don't get accepted MD will you be happy as a DO? Or will you regret it your whole life or be one of the people posting about trying to transfer? There's a gazillion pro/con threads on this, and only you know the right answer for you.

Yea you're right about that. I've been on this site long enough that I've probably read all of them. After my last failed cycle and beginning the research on the DO process, I kicked myself for not having applied DO because I think I would have had a good shot. But we live and we learn. While I do think I want to do something surgical, that's definitely not set in stone and I know what it'll take if I do end up wanting to do something competitive.

You guys really REALLY really don't need to discuss specialties as a DO. please. no please. no.

13044w.jpg

Similar situation to you OP. I was accepted to an established DO school early in the cycle. As a reapplicant, I was ecstatic. Then in January, I got 2 MD interviews and have been placed on the low priority waitlist. Both of them are my state schools so they are both much closer to home and significantly cheaper. So while I know it's like a .001% of me getting off the waitlist I can't help but to keep hope alive and feeling disappointed. I'm still excited to go to my DO school but I know exactly what you mean.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Every year, you'll find grads from DO schools matching into the fields you mentioned - you'll find osteopathic residents in Ortho at Mayo Rochester, Plastics at UPenn, ENT at Tulane, or IR at UofU. My school, TCOM, matched students into ortho, gen surg, and derm this year. They were all incredibly hard working medical students. Yes, there is bias out there, but if you're hard working, find research opportunities outside of your school, do well on boards, and come across as sincere and personable on rotations, there's a good chance you'll fare very well in the match.

Every year, you'll find grads from DO schools matching into the fields you mentioned - you'll find osteopathic residents in Ortho at Mayo Rochester, Plastics at UPenn, ENT at Tulane, or IR at UofU. My school, TCOM, matched students into ortho, gen surg, and derm this year. They were all incredibly hard working medical students. Yes, there is bias out there, but if you're hard working, find research opportunities outside of your school, do well on boards, and come across as sincere and personable on rotations, there's a good chance you'll fare very well in the match.

Any idea about the CV/board scores of the student who matched Neurosurgery at Mayo?

Any idea about the CV/board scores of the student who matched Neurosurgery at Mayo?

His board scores were in the 240-250s. He participated in 3 summer research programs simultaneously after his first year and got multiple pubs through that... not sure how the heck he managed the time or lack of sleep. He rotated at 2 AOA residencies and 2 reach ACGME programs (including Mayo Jax) and participated in research during those rotations too. He cancelled his AOA application ("Sorry, PD, I'm not sure I want to do Neurosurgery anymore..." when really he didn't want to go AOA) and decided to only rank his ACGME neuro and neurosurgery programs.

Not sure about which interviews he got. But he did mention that he applied to the reach ACGME programs (bc they "wouldn't take a hit in reputation by taking a DO") and was surprised to get interviews at many of those locations.

He worked his ass off but also got very, very lucky.

I also remember him saying that Mayo Jax was his third rotation. I think UTSW was his first and he rotated at an AOA program second. He did a lot of research at UTSW and loved it there but didn't make the best impression bc it was his first rotation.