1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Accepted but a bad semester

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by mbishara, Dec 9, 2008.

1. mbishara

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    SO I have been accpeted to dental school and recieved my officaial package. It says to not let my final GPA drop substatnially and unfortunatly Iam not sure on exactly what that is.

i have a 3.6 now and i think i will fail my immunology class (i missed so much classs due to going to interviews, six in all, and it was very difficult to keep up) I also will be getting possibly a b- and two other b's. did i just screw my self over and loos all my hard work for the past four years? what do you guys think?

2. JamesOSU

JamesOSU Ohio State 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    drop immunology and retake it... Generally I think the dental schools mean don't fail classes, as long as you're passing you should be okay.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mbishara

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    it is to late to drop the class. at my school the withdraw date is on october25, way before i started to fall behind.

4. eternalxdemon

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    call the school.... that's wat i'm going to do... after i talk to my professor...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Plopper

Plopper "This too will pass"
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    no, he means drop the course and take a W (withdrawl) it'll look better than a F,

is immunology required IN your major? If it isn't i wouldn't even worry about it. Worst case scenario, just take it over at your college during the summer or at another university, if you need it to graduate. If you take it over at a different university, make sure your department head signs off on the course for being counted as a major requirement.

probably should call your d-school and tell them that you will be with drawing from said course, and/or if you will be making it up over the summer. but if you are going to make it up over the summer, i would think you may be able to get away without telling them, not sure though

hope that helps, i hear you, missing class is NOT fun. I scored a 65 on my last exam, but it's ok bc the average was a 55 lol (studied the night before!! bc i was at an interview that day)

6. mbishara

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    that is what i mean. I can not withdraw and get the W it is too late. and no the class is not a requirment for anything. i for absolutly no good reason took this course...

but thanks for the advice i guess i will just retake it next semester (we have three grade forgivness and this will be my first) just so it doesnt totally chop and screw my GPA

7. Performer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You better get on your knees and start you know what

8. DrDDSman

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    ...pray?

9. klutzy1987

klutzy1987 StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Different things done on the knees will get you differeNt results. Praying may get you a retake or W. Other things:D:D will get you far better results lol.

J/K:laugh:

10. mddang

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    A B or a B-???

I think you'll be fine..

If it were a C or C-, then you might want to worry.

EDIT: Oops.. I misread.

Drop it!

#10 mddang, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  11. DrDDSman

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

Hahah I'm guessing that explains your stats?

j/k

12. TeamGuo

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    funny thing is that if a person who has been accepted with a low gpa like 3.2ish... You just need to get some Cs and Bs to maintain that gpa. :laugh:

Since you will be maintaining your gpa they can't say anything.

To the OP, I am also taking immuno right now, it's a big course, I got little lucky that I got to drop my third exam since we can drop one. You should probably withdraw instead of getting a F.

Good luck with rest of semester!

13. pinkypinky2013

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I just cannot focus on study ><

14. Spin

Spin me right round baby
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My school has an early "take a W" deadline too, so I know what you're going through. I'd definitely call the school(s) you got accepted into and talk to them about immunology, and definitely talk to your professor to see whether there's anything you can do or any way you can possibly take an I (incomplete) for the course, which would allow you to finish it next semester. The B's and B- probably won't be an issue. Even if they do drop your GPA a bit they're still decent grades.

15. klutzy1987

klutzy1987 StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    LOL if only it were that easy

j/k:laugh:

16. DrDDSman

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

Didn't know that was your style. But hey-whatever floats your boat.:laugh:

17. serpant55

2+ Year Member

lol..wow..perverted yall :p nothing even crossed my mind except pray..or beg .. but geez :p

#17 serpant55, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  18. youngmc27

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not to be the bearer of bad news but a guy at my undergrad failed anatomy and was told to retake it and apply again next year lost his admissions invite. I hope things work out well for you. This student did get into the same school the next cycle though. the student failed the course in the spring and had no time to retake because the school started before summer semester would've ended. It was not a required course for admission either but a science course. Best of luck.