Accepted but might wait another year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenchSanchez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was accepted to a school already, waitlisted at another, and have a couple interviews coming up.

The school I was waitlisted is the one I really want to go to. It is a 20-30 min trip from my home and I would save a lot of money. So a new set of unfortunate circumstances has arose in my family that has given me much more responsibility..especially financially. It would be difficult at this time to go somewhere half way across the country and leave them. Are medical schools understand of such circumstances? I saw on many applications that if I was accepted to medical school in the past..please explain.

The story is long and I don't feel like going into detail but things aren't going well at this point. If you need more information let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

So I was accepted to a school already, waitlisted at another, and have a couple interviews coming up.

The school I was waitlisted is the one I really want to go to. It is a 20-30 min trip from my home and I would save a lot of money. So a new set of unfortunate circumstances has arose in my family that has given me much more responsibility..especially financially. It would be difficult at this time to go somewhere half way across the country and leave them. Are medical schools understand of such circumstances? I saw on many applications that if I was accepted to medical school in the past..please explain.

The story is long and I don't feel like going into detail but things aren't going well at this point. If you need more information let me know.

You mentioned that you now have more financial responsibility to your family. Do you plan on working in medical school? I personally couldn't imagine having to work during medical school while also dealing with the massive volume of information medical school requires you to learn

aren't you going to apply for a loan?

Members don't see this ad :)

Forgive me for reading between the lines. Sounds like a family member is no longer bringing in income (illness/layoff/etc) and you are feeling pressure to work to support your family.

While admirable, it likely won't garner you a deferral on your acceptance. That isn't to say you couldn't re-apply and likely get in if your stats were good.

However, I would strongly suggest you take a step back and figure out what your long-term plans are. You have fought hard to get where you are, and as much as you are feeling responsible a decision now will impact the next 60 years of your life.

If you have someone you trust that is not personally involved such as a pastor, college professor, barista at Starbucks (just kidding) wouldn't hurt to get an opinion from someone that is more familiar with your story.

1. Take loans.
2. Bust your ass and get into a good specialty
3. Lavish your family with fortune and happiness

success.

Unfortunately, in terms of being a reapplicant, I don't think med schools can really be very understanding because of the numbers involved. There are just too many people dealing with too many situations for med school to be very accommodating. I like LifeTake2's suggestion of asking someone close. Also, can you not leave b/c of guilt or b/c you think you can help financially? Working during med school is not a great idea. I know you'll save money by being closer but if you go to the farther away school you'll be spending your loan money, not your family's money. In the long run, I think you need to take your acceptance b.c what if you reapply and you don't get in anywhere? You'll probably be bitter for life and be unconsciously mad at your family. The guilt about leaving is difficult to deal with but you need to think long term.

I don't think if this is good advice, but maybe it's worth it to contact the close school and let them know that you have already received an acceptance at another school but you are waiting to hear from them? Like a letter of intent? I'm not sure how seriously those are taken, however.

But again in terms of reapplying, you need to see if from the med school's side. If you reapply next year and they see that you're a reapplicant they might not want to risk offering you an acceptance if they think you're just going to turn them down like you did this year. I know your circumstances are genuine but again, there are just too many people and some folks have falsely claimed family problems when actually they are just reapplying b/c they wanted to try again to their dream school.

Yes, they do understand; just make sure that this school is OK with it. My own school has a number of deferred students every year.

Keep in mind that once you're in medical school, you have to be selfish. I've seen plenty of students have their medical careers destroyed because they couldn't say no to family.

I know people that defer a year just to have "time off" after college. Some schools are understanding. I don't even think "time off" is a great reason, but apparently some tx md schools allow it.

I know people that defer a year just to have "time off" after college. Some schools are understanding. I don't even think "time off" is a great reason, but apparently some tx md schools allow it.

And there it is. The subtle transition into MD vs DO.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Yes, they do understand; just make sure that this school is OK with it. My own school has a number of deferred students every year.

Keep in mind that once you're in medical school, you have to be selfish. I've seen plenty of students have their medical careers destroyed because they couldn't say no to family.

Goro, I'm a bit curious as to what you mean by this.

Not Goro, but I'll take a bite.

I would think he means time commitments/responsibilities.

I had assumed as much but I was hoping for some specifics. I mean, not all family situations are alike in importance. For example, studying for an exam > going to my parents' house for a labor day BBQ. However, for me at least, serious illness of a family member > studying for an exam. Well, I guess I just answered my own question though. Obviously there are going to be time commitment conflicts that need to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Thats a difficult decision. It sounds like you are going to be pretty miserable leaving home, but I don't understand you "financial commitment" to your family, regardless of where you go you arent going to be able to hold down a job that would support a family while in school. At the same time you need to remember that you are lucky to have been accepted and you aren't guaranteed anything if you spurn the acceptance and reapply. I've met people who have been waitlisted by the same schools 3+ years in a row.

If you are really serious about school my advice would be to put a deposit down at your acceptance, and then try to apply for a deferment due to your family issues. At the same time write a letter outlining your situation and why you would be a good candidate to the school you are waitlisted at. If you get the deferment and don't get in off the list you could try reapplying, and if that doesn't work out you still have a seat. Unfortunately that may not work, and in that case I think you need to decide what is more important, going to med school or staying at home with your family. Its a tough decision but I don't think anyone can fault your regardless of what you choose.

yeah, look into deferring for a year and make sure you have the school's blessing.

Goro, I'm a bit curious as to what you mean by this.

Also not Goro but I can tell you exactly what he means. Going to medical school is probably the most selfish thing you will do in your life.

I think the sooner most people accept that the easier it is to deal with. You're going to miss important events in the lives of your loved ones just so you can pursue this dream. There's a considerable amount of guilt that comes along with that as you'll see in time. You will go days without calling your family without even realizing you're doing it. Everyone does.

Let's say your married and you get to do most of your rotations in a city like Atlanta. So, you and your wife and kids move down to Atlanta. However, you also get a good number of electives. Atlanta's a big city, so a lot of them you can do there, but residency programs are really expecting you to come on a tryout rotation. So, you look into programs and you find this program you really like in Michigan. Boom, you're going to be away from your wife and kids for an entire month.

Please don't think that I'm trying to be negative - I'm happy as hell to be in medical school. I just don't think pre-med advisors or SDN really do enough to tell premeds about these realities. I'm an older student and I've got a solid head on my shoulders but the emotional side of medical school is completely understated.

Do some people do better than others with all of this? Yes, like all things in life. Does everyone face these struggles to some degree or another? Absolutely.

The people on the admissions committee are humans, too. They're also compassionate and want to work with students or odds are they wouldn't be a) a doctor AND b) in academia.

It's not like you want to party for a year. You're in a closed corner that you didn't anticipate. Call the school and talk to the dean of students - not the admissions folks - they're the ones who advise current students on these sorts of ordeals.

The last thing you want is to get 3/4 of the way through the first semester and have to take a leave of absence. You don't want to do this semester twice, trust me.