Accepted but reapplying...need some opinions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Your upward trend is admirable, but the reality is your scores are not great, as is your MCAT. You only got 1 admission out of x applications. That's not good. Explaining it away as "late" from switching from MD/PhD is not necessarily valid. You interviewed at several places and didn't get in. I would be extraordinarily reluctant to drop your only acceptance when essentially nothing will change next year. If you don't get in next year, which is a real possibility, you will be really behind the 8 ball and applying AGAIN to 30 schools, DO included, and lose out on 2 years of physician income. If cost was really a deciding factor, you should have not applied at all.
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, as much as I would not want to attend a school that would set me that far in debt, I think you might be better off attending. It would suck for a long time paying off that insane amount of debt, but how much money do you think you can save for the next application cycle?

If you can apply broadly for the next cycle then I might say do that, but like others have said, you still might not get in anywhere. And if you reapply, I would definitely apply to some D.O. schools.

I've never met an attending who is crippled by his debt. Just go to the school, then lament the 200k you could have saved, or the PhD you could have had, as you live in your nice house with your well-provided-for family while having a career you're passionate towards. Document your struggles and create the most mundane memoir anyone's ever read.

You've also never met an attending that went to school under the current tuition. Browsing through the MSAR, most OOS schools are $40-50k per year, and that's just tuition. You also have to assume most reimbursements will likely go down, so you essentially have a new generation of doctors with a lot more debt and a lot less earning power.

And Southern Illinois: $78k OOS tuition. Wow.