ACCEPTED, but REAPPLYING???!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mefisto

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if someone is accepted to just one medical school which is not their top choice in one given application year, what are their chances of getting in if they reapply the next year? I heard that medical schools look badly at ppl reapplying when they got accepted the previous year, even if their application might be improved by research experiences and/or grades. Is that true???

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

mefisto said:
Does anyone know if someone is accepted to just one medical school which is not their top choice in one given application year, what are their chances of getting in if they reapply the next year? I heard that medical schools look badly at ppl reapplying when they got accepted the previous year, even if their application might be improved by research experiences and/or grades. Is that true???

Thanks for any input.

I knew someone (took Aug MCAT) who was accepted to Loyola but did not go. The following year they applied again earlier and ending up going to UCSF (was a cali resident).

I don't know why anyone would want to go through all of this for another year. Then again, if they want to give up the spot... all the more for those who do want 'em!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You definitely hurt your chances for admission in subsequent years if you are accepted to a school but turn down the acceptance to reapply later. It seems likely that adcoms would wonder if you were out of your mind. Plus, your chances of being accepted to your top-choice school after an initial rejection aren't that great, barring an astronomical increase in MCAT score, GPA (hard to do this late in the game), or something else. Simply put, don't pull some bonehead move. Take your acceptance and run with it. You might not get one the next time around and you can do very well at any US allopathic school that you are accepted to even if it's not your first-choice.

HeavyA said:
You definitely hurt your chances for admission in subsequent years if you are accepted to a school but turn down the acceptance to reapply later. It seems likely that adcoms would wonder if you were out of your mind. Plus, your chances of being accepted to your top-choice school after an initial rejection aren't that great, barring an astronomical increase in MCAT score, GPA (hard to do this late in the game), or something else. Simply put, don't pull some bonehead move. Take your acceptance and run with it. You might not get one the next time around and you can do very well at any US allopathic school that you are accepted to even if it's not your first-choice.

thank you for your reply. this is really something i have to think about seriously....thank you for your input. it does helps find some clarity. do you know anything about deferring med school for a year if you'd like to finish your research? would med schools look at it as a valid reason or not?

thanks again!!!

I know Treg on here reapplied after taking the MCAT again. I don't know her personally, but she posts a lot on here. She got into some pretty impressive schools this year too, so it paid off for her.

mefisto said:
thank you for your reply. this is really something i have to think about seriously....thank you for your input. it does helps find some clarity. do you know anything about deferring med school for a year if you'd like to finish your research? would med schools look at it as a valid reason or not?

thanks again!!!

Im fairly sure you can talk to the admissions people at your school about this. I bet it'd be fine. Although some schools require you to have applied with a separate app (or different check-box) if you're planning to defer. As long as you fill their class sometime, you should be fine. They can pull somebody from a waitlist this year to take your place if you plan to come back next year (ie: defer).

just to be clear the girl who ended up going to UCSF did not apply to Loyola the second time. I think that would be "wrong."

Uegis said:
I know Treg on here reapplied after taking the MCAT again. I don't know her personally, but she posts a lot on here. She got into some pretty impressive schools this year too, so it paid off for her.

Treg is also rather unique, as I think she deferred at a Canadian school and raised her MCAT by 12 points.

I have a friend who applied really late in the process, submitted his AMCAS in mid-October, and got a couple interviews and into Drexel. He took a lab tech job for a year and reapplied - and got a heck of a lot more interviews (even to schools to which he had applied the previous year) - and eventually into NYU. He's happy he took the year off, and from his experience, reapplication didn't hurt him. To each his own. It's all about what you want and what you're willing to gamble!

Why do people apply to schools they would never attend?

I was told by my advisor that reapplying after being accepted is a HUGE NO NO. Unless of course, you have a legit reason for not going to the school you have been accepted to. Sure, there are applicants accepted to UCSF, NYU the second time around. But really, do you know these applicants' backgrounds? Perhaps they all have very good reason why they are reapplying.

About deferring, it depends on the school. You should call your school up and ask for their policies.

HeavyA said:

HeavyA - where are you gettin your info from? Have you heard this from adcoms? I can personally think of numerous valid reasons why someone would turn down a school - even if it is the only school they got accepted to. Maybe 'real world' concerns or problems arose, maybe they did not like the area, students, or the structure of that particular school after the interview. Even simply just to improve their application to get into a school that they would be happy with. I agree that you'd be taking a chance by doing this, but if you are certain that you can improve your application it can only help you for the next cycle. That's my opinion at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't like Syracuse, then you just have to weigh whether you would rather risk not going ANYWHERE and not becoming a physician, vs. spending four years in Syracuse. What is more important? If you don't want to become a physician badly enough to go to a school you may not love, then I would wonder whether you should even reapply. You know, I am hoping for good news for other schools, too, places I might want to consider over the school I am currently planning on going to. But when I applied, I tried hard to choose wisely, and I am happy and comfortable with my results. It seems like you're not, and you need to weigh what is the most important to you.

Kazema said:
Treg is also rather unique, as I think she deferred at a Canadian school and raised her MCAT by 12 points.

She got into Albert Einstein too, i think.

Uegis said:
She got into Albert Einstein too, i think.

Yeah, but her profile says she's holding onto her Calgary acceptance while reapplying.

nabeel76 said:
HeavyA - where are you gettin your info from? Have you heard this from adcoms? I can personally think of numerous valid reasons why someone would turn down a school - even if it is the only school they got accepted to. Maybe 'real world' concerns or problems arose, maybe they did not like the area, students, or the structure of that particular school after the interview. Even simply just to improve their application to get into a school that they would be happy with. I agree that you'd be taking a chance by doing this, but if you are certain that you can improve your application it can only help you for the next cycle. That's my opinion at least.

nabeel76 - Why do you think applications ask if you applied to their program in the previous or any other years? Schools strive to accept students that they truly believe will attend their school. If they see an instance where a student turned down an acceptance to "upgrade", then they would be fools not to question that student's motives. And there is a huge difference between a first-choice school and a school where you would be happy. If you can only be happy at your first-choice school, then I doubt you have either the drive or adaptability to be a physician. And really, how many students are actually accepted to their first-choice medical school anyway? If everyone listened to your advice, there wouldn't be too many matriculants for this year's class. Oh well, maybe your advice will open up some waitlist spots for people sensible enough not to listen to your advice.

criminallyinane said:
If you don't want to become a physician badly enough to go to a school you may not love, then I would wonder whether you should even reapply.

I totally agree. A med school is a med school. Most people I know including myself were happy just to get in somewhere, it really didn't matter where. I have friends at other med schools and I really don't think there is any major differences in schools other than location. If you need time to do research, be with family, whatever, ask if you can defer. If you give up a spot just because you want to try again for a "better" school you probably shouldn't be a doctor anyway because it sounds like you're just looking for prestige.

sdnstud said:
I was told by my advisor that reapplying after being accepted is a HUGE NO NO. Unless of course, you have a legit reason for not going to the school you have been accepted to. Sure, there are applicants accepted to UCSF, NYU the second time around. But really, do you know these applicants' backgrounds? Perhaps they all have very good reason why they are reapplying.

About deferring, it depends on the school. You should call your school up and ask for their policies.

Since you go to Cal, I assume the premed advisor you are talking about was the career center med school advisor. I went to her too and found her totally and completely usesless as a medical school advisor! She didnt help me at all. However, the one piece of advice i took away from her was to only apply to schools that i am willing to go to because it would look poorly on me (basically that i would not be admitted anywhere in this case) if i get in somewhere, not go and then apply again to med schools next year. i dont trust a thing she says besides advice about how to show that i fulfilled uc irvine's chemistry requirement on their secondary.

Kazema said:
Yeah, but her profile says she's holding onto her Calgary acceptance while reapplying.

Yeah, just telling the folks that she didn't reapply because she didn't want to go to school in Calgary or something. You are correct though, her profile only listed holding to Calgary. I'm jealous of her.

HeavyA said:
nabeel76 - Why do you think applications ask if you applied to their program in the previous or any other years? Schools strive to accept students that they truly believe will attend their school. If they see an instance where a student turned down an acceptance to "upgrade", then they would be fools not to question that student's motives. And there is a huge difference between a first-choice school and a school where you would be happy. If you can only be happy at your first-choice school, then I doubt you have either the drive or adaptability to be a physician. And really, how many students are actually accepted to their first-choice medical school anyway? If everyone listened to your advice, there wouldn't be too many matriculants for this year's class. Oh well, maybe your advice will open up some waitlist spots for people sensible enough not to listen to your advice.

First, those applications are pre-interview right? I always thought that interviews went both ways, not only do they interview you to see if you would be a good fit for their school, but you also determine if their school is a good fit for you. After all you are going to be there for the next 4 years! And if you determine the school is not right for you, I am assuming you would not reapply there.

Secondly, nobody is saying to hold out until you get into your 'top choice' school. The majority of applicants apply to more than several schools, and there are many factors that dictate what particular schools you choose to apply to. But if for some reason you find that one of those schools doesn't seem to suit you than the only mature thing to do is to reject them.

Third, I am sure that the OP realizes the risk involved with turning down an acceptance to Medical School - as does everybody else on this site. With that being said if the OP truly feels she could make herself a better applicant for the next cycle and increase her chances at placing at a school where she will be happier for the next 4 years more power to her. I am pretty certain adcom commitees are smart enough to realize how big a decision this is, and will not hold back the OP just because she had the maturity to not jump at the first offer she gets. I would also think that the drive to better yourself and work towards making yourself a better applicant shows your motivation and determination to succeed at accomplishing your goals.

Personally, I work very hard to accomplish my goals and if I where in this situation I would not 'settle' for a school that I felt I would not be happy at; unless, I felt there was nothing else that I could do and this would be the only route at accomplishing the greater goal of becoming a doctor. But in this particular situation the OP feels she can improve her situation in terms of competetiveness so I feel she should give it a shot.

mefisto said:

Thanks for any input.

Put your whole head in front of the shotgun. Thank you! The bottom line is you are accepted to a US medical school. That is like sending back turkey at thanksgiving! Schools don't realy mean that much. Where you do your residency is a different story.

criminallyinane said:
If you don't like Syracuse, then you just have to weigh whether you would rather risk not going ANYWHERE and not becoming a physician, vs. spending four years in Syracuse. What is more important? If you don't want to become a physician badly enough to go to a school you may not love, then I would wonder whether you should even reapply. You know, I am hoping for good news for other schools, too, places I might want to consider over the school I am currently planning on going to. But when I applied, I tried hard to choose wisely, and I am happy and comfortable with my results. It seems like you're not, and you need to weigh what is the most important to you.

Hey, is Syracuse the school that the OP does not want to go to? Syracuse is the only school that I have been offered a spot in as well but never in a million years would I have considered not going there. I considered not going as I read this post. I forgot the OP's name but if you read this here is what I thought...
I think the weather at Syracuse is absolutely horrendous. I hate that about the school and the city soooo much. I also hate that the school is extremely far away from my parents and my boyfriend. I need a strong support system so being away from them is definately a bad thing for me. I think for me those are the two big issues that would make me decide to not attend and to reapply next year. It never occured to me to reapply till I read this post because I actually like the school... I can't imagine somebody not liking the school itself. But anyway, I talked to my family and they reassured me they will be there even if it is only over the phone most of the time. I also talked to my boyfriend about being so far away and he is willing to move up there with me after a year. As far as the weather goes, I figure I will be so busy studying and doing everything possible to be a success in med school that maybe its BETTER that the weather sucks. That way I know I am not missing out on anything. Anyway its not as though there is ABSOLUTELY no summer there... It's just that the winters are insane. So if I could convince myself to go, then you must be able to... If Syracuse is not the school you got into then I am sure you can rationalize things to convince yourself that any medical school you found attractive enough to apply to in the first place is one that you could also happily attend. Good luck with whatever you decide -L.

nabeel76 said:
First, those applications are pre-interview right? I always thought that interviews went both ways, not only do they interview you to see if you would be a good fit for their school, but you also determine if their school is a good fit for you. After all you are going to be there for the next 4 years! And if you determine the school is not right for you, I am assuming you would not reapply there.

Secondly, nobody is saying to hold out until you get into your 'top choice' school. The majority of applicants apply to more than several schools, and there are many factors that dictate what particular schools you choose to apply to. But if for some reason you find that one of those schools doesn't seem to suit you than the only mature thing to do is to reject them.

Third, I am sure that the OP realizes the risk involved with turning down an acceptance to Medical School - as does everybody else on this site. With that being said if the OP truly feels she could make herself a better applicant for the next cycle and increase her chances at placing at a school where she will be happier for the next 4 years more power to her. I am pretty certain adcom commitees are smart enough to realize how big a decision this is, and will not hold back the OP just because she had the maturity to not jump at the first offer she gets. I would also think that the drive to better yourself and work towards making yourself a better applicant shows your motivation and determination to succeed at accomplishing your goals.

Personally, I work very hard to accomplish my goals and if I where in this situation I would not 'settle' for a school that I felt I would not be happy at; unless, I felt there was nothing else that I could do and this would be the only route at accomplishing the greater goal of becoming a doctor. But in this particular situation the OP feels she can improve her situation in terms of competetiveness so I feel she should give it a shot.

Look at the original question - the whole debate centered around not getting into your FIRST-CHOICE. Read more carefully next time before responding.

HeavyA said:
Look at the original question - the whole debate centered around not getting into your FIRST-CHOICE. Read more carefully next time before responding.

My bad - I didn't realize that she was refering to her 'top choice' school. I guess I gave the OP the benefit of the doubt in assuming that they were refering to a number of schools besides the one they got accepted to.

To the OP - obviously I would not recommend reapplying to try to get into you top choice school. The chances are pretty slim at that.

I really think we need to call the OP on what is really going on here: a severe lack of graditude in regards to being admitted somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
mefisto said:

Thanks for any input.

i went to a premed session last year at at the NIH and advisors from harvard and maryland gave a presentation. the woman from harvard said they reject reapplicants who have been accepted somewhere bc of what it says about their motivations: that they don't truly want to be a physician and that prestige is more important - and then it also reflects ****ty judgement - applying to schools that you'd never go to is a sloppy move. but this was just what the woman from harvard said.

but obviously not all schools will take offense, like apparently ucsf. if you have a specific school in mind that you want to reapply for, call them and ask what they think about reapplying when you've already been accepted.

You do realize that the overwhelming majority of your post graduate work will be based on Step 1, NOT where you go? I was in the same boat and EVERY SINGLE person I talked to slapped me upside the head and said to go.

You do realize that the overwhelming majority of your post graduate work will be based on Step 1, NOT where you go? I was in the same boat and EVERY SINGLE person I talked to slapped me upside the head and said to go.

check that thread date .....

I am sure 2005 OP will heed your advice

Why are we necrobumping? This thread is over a year old.

Large dogs

Op is probably an attending somewhere now, who is like, "yeah little premed, I know."

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure people who bring back old threads are just trolling? You have to actively seek out these old threads to post on them, unless you use the search and even then you can see right there the post date.
A lot of people just don't pay attention. I've necrobumped on accident before, it happens.

I'm pretty sure people who bring back old threads are just trolling? You have to actively seek out these old threads to post on them, unless you use the search and even then you can see right there the post date.
I blame the 'Similar Threads' section at the bottom of the page whenever you're reading through something. It's basically a recipe for "read current thread on topic, get amped up on topic, click 'related' (old) thread, insert your pent-up advice into the old thread where it helps nobody"

After that, it's easy for others to think it's a current thread since it'll be on Page 1

Reactions: 1 users
is "necrobumping" an actual word? sounds cool.

is "necrobumping" an actual word? sounds cool.

It is according to Urban Dictionary :naughty:

check that thread date .....
Why are we necrobumping? This thread is over a year old.

Large dogs

youthinkdotcom_2892203_197930.jpg

Reactions: 3 users