mefisto

10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2005
Status
Does anyone know if someone is accepted to just one medical school which is not their top choice, what are their chances of getting in if they reapply the next year? I heard that medical schools look badly at ppl reapplying when they got accepted the previous year, even if their application might be improved by research experiences and/or grades. Is that true???

Thanks for any input

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I doubt many people have been dumb enough to try this. Thus, I doubt you are going to get too many responses.

With that said, I have heard of people doing this and getting denied the second time around. It will be pretty obvious to them what happened, and on top of that, you haven't the slightest clue what the following years applicants will look like.

I'd leave good enough alone and go where you got in.

stoic

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2000
sodom, south georgia
this is a horrible idea. go to med school. this year.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
mefisto said:
Does anyone know if someone is accepted to just one medical school which is not their top choice, what are their chances of getting in if they reapply the next year? I heard that medical schools look badly at ppl reapplying when they got accepted the previous year, even if their application might be improved by research experiences and/or grades. Is that true???

Thanks for any input
Waste a year of your life. Good idea. Like it really matters where you go to med school.

:thumbdown:

PublicEnemy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
Status
if you really think you'll be more competetive, and if you really confident that you'll be that much happier somewhere else, and if you have something cool to do for a year, and don't mind waiting, its not a big deal.

i know plenty of my friends from school that did this, a few of them applied really late the first time around, got into schools they weren't very excited about late in the game, i'm talking off waitlists in may-august, some of them even had sent in amcas again for the next year by the time they got their first acceptance.

taking a year off to do something you feel is worthwhile is not a bad thing. my experience was it didn't affect their admission at all. the 4 friends of mine that applied got accepted, and applied again, all not only got into the same schools they turned down, much earlier, but also got into several other schools.

but again, these were unique circumstances, where people applied late. or were really motivated to go to their state school or the school near their house, etc. they were already working on their new apps the entire year, new letters, better essays, research/volunteering, a couple them took the mcats again, etc. talked to adcomm members at the schools they really wanted to go, etc.

you had to have been doing something worthwhile since the day you submitted amcas the last time, if re-applying is even remotely a thought. because its too late to wait til the day you got rejected to start on next year. next year is in 3 months.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
mefisto said:

Thanks for any input
Sounds like a fool's gambit to me -- the odds aren't really with you. Re-applicants tend to have a slightly more uphill battle; it's always best to have all your ducks in a row the first time. You are assuming that a bit more research and slight GPA improvement is going to open up a specific school's doors which doesn't necessarilly happen. Are you contemplating this for geographic location reasons or financial (state school) reasons, which I guess I could understand, or is it a matter of prestige?

inthe4cast

What's in the 4-cast?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
Accepted, but reapplying?

Does this school allow you to defer your enrollment?

Why not go ahead and go, and transfer somewhere after your 2nd year?

kingcer0x

Re-Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2003
USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
id like to send out a giant WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU to the OP (this is if you are indeed planning on doing this).

Trisomy13

ultra
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
mountain home
Status
Attending Physician
mefisto said:

Thanks for any input

If you feel you are more competitive, go to the school that accepted you, and work your @ss off for a year. most schools lose a few students each year to drop-out or other reasons, and they are eager to fill these spots with transfer students (full class = full tuition roster). at my school we had 3-4 students transfer in between 1st and 2nd year, and i'm sure there were some between 2nd and 3rd). I can also think of 4 people off the top of my head that transfered out of our school to other schools between 2nd and 3rd.

Why waste a year and gamble? There is no guarantee you can transfer, but there is also no guarantee you will be accepted again...

trinitrotoluene

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
OP:

As someone who hasn't gotten in anywhere yet and is already gearing up for reapplication (who will try to say this with love and understanding):

THIS IS A REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD IDEA!!!!

I hope that is clear enough for you.

scooter31

'Ello Guv'nah!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2002
LAS <---> BOS
Visit site
Status
I can think of 4 folks, 3 from SDN, one from undergrad, that did this with much success. Its all relative; you roll the dice by going somewhere you have had a change of heart about and run the risk of being miserable (but hey youre in med school, right) for 4 years, and you roll the dice by reapplying and not getting in anywhere (cuz hey, youre got into med school, why rock the boat, right).

Whats the riskier proposition, in your eyes? Is one decision worse than the other?

trinitrotoluene

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
scooter31 said:
Whats the riskier proposition, in your eyes? Is one decision worse than the other?
If the goal to become doctor, then turning down a sure thing is a very bad idea.

Well, if the person in question has stellar credentials, things might be different. But in the average case....

stoshic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
Status
While I don't recommend this idea, I do know of someone who did this... The were accepted after their 2nd attempt, declined one school because they were interested in their state school. They were accepted the next year and graduated top 5 in the class... Great story, haha. just decided to share.

annh31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
Status
would those of you who discouraged the OP from reapplying say the same thing if the question was not between two allopathic schools but rather between an osteopathic school and an allopathic school? (wherever the acceptance was, either the person got into DO and wanted MD or got into MD and really wanted to be a DO or something.)

yogiberra

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
Status
annh31 said:
would those of you who discouraged the OP from reapplying say the same thing if the question was not between two allopathic schools but rather between an osteopathic school and an allopathic school? (wherever the acceptance was, either the person got into DO and wanted MD or got into MD and really wanted to be a DO or something.)
Who would want to be an DO if he/she can become an MD? Its like having a hamburger when offered a steak. The only reason that someone decides DO over MD is if the MD is coming from the Caribbean.

annh31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
Status
hey yogi - chill out, n'kay? does anyone else have anything to offer OTHER than DO bashing?

stoic

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2000
sodom, south georgia
annh31 said:
no, my position would not change. go to school, md or do, this year.

kmnfive

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2003
Status
whats so wrong being a DO?

its like saying whats wrong with having a BMW versus a Hyundai; all those MD people who bash on DO's are just pretentious bastards. dont be so careless in what you say to people, its inappropriate; especially considering how old you are. we're all old enough to think before we speak but not to speak all that we think.

smc927

El Flaquito
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2002
Wandering Around
Visit site
Status
I know several doctors, more than know of them - I know them pretty well. They seem to repeat the theme that it didn't matter where they went. They got in, and now they are doctors. So don't put it off another year because you think you'll be happy elsewhere unless you are REALLLY sure it is the best thing!

GO BECOME A DOCTOR!

crys20

make it happen!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2004
Status
I can think of very few things cockier and dumber than doing such a thing. Excluding the most EXTREME location issues like a dying relative you don't want to move away from, or something like that. How silly.

docmz

...get 'er D.O.ne
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Status
i find this statement to be completely unappropriate. if anything, an uneducated statement. someone would be a DO over an MD when they believe that the education they will receive as a DO will be better than that of an MD when it comes to treating the whole patient and not just the disease. there are tons of people who are in DO school this second and could have attended a MD program. there is nothing superior to MD over DO. doctor is doctor is doctor is doctor is the same privledge, salary, respect, etc.
read up yogiberra...perhaps the new book by Gevitz. it might open your eyes and take your blinders off.

yogiberra said:
Who would want to be an DO if he/she can become an MD? Its like having a hamburger when offered a steak. The only reason that someone decides DO over MD is if the MD is coming from the Caribbean.

kmnfive

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2003
Status
i still dont understand the hatred of DO's in the MD forum.

6ONSP98

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
Here's my situation...

I applied in the Entering 2004 cycle..and only got accepted to one school (It will remain nameless.) Foolishly I only applied to schools within two states and only a total of 6 schools, so I was not surprised to have only gotten into one. Because of my stats, I didn't even try at all to get into the higher tiered schools and I took the August MCAT in 2003 so my app was kind of late in the cycle.

Anywho, I started as a MS I in the fall of 2004 and by the end of the semester, a close family member had passed away so I took a leave of absence. Truthfully, I wanted desperately to be freed from a very rigid and horrible curriculum. Despite getting As, I was becoming somewhat depressed and missed my family. In general I am not exaggerating when I say the school leaves alot to be desired and I feel sort of bamboozled. Now more than I ever I realize that I didn't do good enough research for the first application cycle, was desperate to finally start med school, and chose to apply only where my husband could be. This was definitely a mistake. Since I am technically on leave of absence (not enrolled) which is scheduled to end in August, I am considering chalking this up to "live and learn" situation and reapplying. I know it all sounds crazy...I am grown woman (almost 30) and for some reason I can't help but feel very juvenile in this situation. But I anticipated a much better experience with the school, despite rumors...and all that I have met, has done nothing but to support bad rumors.

I say all this to say...what would you all do in my case? Also, I am concerned I am violating some obscure AMCAS applicant rule. Granted, I would be reapplying either in this cycle or next...either 2-3 cycles from when I first applied. But, I am not sure if being on leave means I am no longer considered a student. Essentially, in august I am supposed to start medical school all over thanks to the sucky curriculum and poorly put together student handbook. That said, I keep thinking I might as well reapply and start med school OVER at a better school.

My stats: overall GPA 3.3, science 3.1, MCAT 38R (female, URM)

Sorry for the long post.. the basic questions?
Am I crazy for wanting to reapply?
Should I do a post-bacc/masters program if I wait to apply next year?
Should I just apply early in this 2006 cycle?
How many schools should I be applying to?

Thanks
6ONSP98

sweetpeamd09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
Status
6ONSP98 said:
Here's my situation...

I applied in the Entering 2004 cycle..and only got accepted to one school (It will remain nameless.) Foolishly I only applied to schools within two states and only a total of 6 schools, so I was not surprised to have only gotten into one. Because of my stats, I didn't even try at all to get into the higher tiered schools and I took the August MCAT in 2003 so my app was kind of late in the cycle.

Anywho, I started as a MS I in the fall of 2004 and by the end of the semester, a close family member had passed away so I took a leave of absence. Truthfully, I wanted desperately to be freed from a very rigid and horrible curriculum. Despite getting As, I was becoming somewhat depressed and missed my family. In general I am not exaggerating when I say the school leaves alot to be desired and I feel sort of bamboozled. Now more than I ever I realize that I didn't do good enough research for the first application cycle, was desperate to finally start med school, and chose to apply only where my husband could be. This was definitely a mistake. Since I am technically on leave of absence (not enrolled) which is scheduled to end in August, I am considering chalking this up to "live and learn" situation and reapplying. I know it all sounds crazy...I am grown woman (almost 30) and for some reason I can't help but feel very juvenile in this situation. But I anticipated a much better experience with the school, despite rumors...and all that I have met, has done nothing but to support bad rumors.

I say all this to say...what would you all do in my case? Also, I am concerned I am violating some obscure AMCAS applicant rule. Granted, I would be reapplying either in this cycle or next...either 2-3 cycles from when I first applied. But, I am not sure if being on leave means I am no longer considered a student. Essentially, in august I am supposed to start medical school all over thanks to the sucky curriculum and poorly put together student handbook. That said, I keep thinking I might as well reapply and start med school OVER at a better school.

My stats: overall GPA 3.3, science 3.1, MCAT 38R (female, URM)

Sorry for the long post.. the basic questions?
Am I crazy for wanting to reapply?
Should I do a post-bacc/masters program if I wait to apply next year?
Should I just apply early in this 2006 cycle?
How many schools should I be applying to?

Thanks
6ONSP98
First of all, where the heck did you apply that you only got into one school...sorry, curiosity was killing me. As a URM (like me!) with that MCAT score---or rather anyone with that score should be pretty set (even though I know there is less focus on those two digits). Ok, for the real issue... You seem miserable where you are now. If you so choose, reapply but really take some time to feel out the atmosphere of where you interview (and believe it or not, you can tell a lot from the website before you even send in your apps.). Go where your heart tells you to go, not where you "should" go based on reputation and/or location...etc. Medical school is going to be harrowing wherever you go, so on that note, go where you feel you will be supported most and the happiest. Believe it or not, I have in fact met some happy med. students.

Your stats are really good. Unlike the "average" applicant in this situation I believe you should have little to worry about. Wish I could offer you more factual data (which we all rely on so heavily)..but what I'm saying just comes from the heart. Best of luck! :luck:

6ONSP98

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
Thanks for the response.

I was very excited about my MCAT score and still am. :) However, I am and have always been concerned about my GPA. It's a pretty old GPA...my first premed class was taken in 1995. But, I feel like with the late applications and only 6 put in..I definitely severely handicapped myself. I am not saying I could have gotten into or would have gone to Harvard. I do think however, an early application, with my profile (I had a child halfway through ivy league ugrad education) and experiences ..perhaps I'll have a chance at a school that makes me happier than my current. I also applied so quickly/hastily I never looked at the MD/PhD options at these schools..somethign else I was always interested in.

All things considered, I am trying to make the best decision for myself now and I agree that I have to really pay attention to the atmosphere during interviews (although I have only been on two interviews) and do better research online. Now that I have found SDN (I am a newbie), I think I have access to both what the schools think abotu themselves and what current students and applicants think.

Thanks again for your response....any others?

I dont want to give away my current school but I will let yall guess from the schools I applied to: NYMC, SUNY-Downstate, Drexel, Temple, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson, UMDNJ-NJMS. It was supposed to be strategic for where we "needed" to be. :thumbdown:

Vomitonme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
media.twomd.ohio-state.edu
Status
I honestly can't say that dropping out of medical school and then reapplying is the best move to do in the grand scheme of things. All the schools that you mentioned seem fine from what I've heard from other people.

If you think about it, you've finished 1 semester and only have 3 more to go before you start your clinical rotations. I mean, everyone I know complains about the first two years regardless of where you go.

And I can't help but think that dropping out of medical school to only reapply later on can only hurt you in the application process. What's the assurance to a school's admissions committee that you won't flake out again? I know that there is another person on this board who was in law school and dropped out to apply to medical school and he says that dropping out might be the major thing holding him back in his interviews.

In addition, you say you are 30 or nearing that age. I don't know if it's wise to wait another 2-3 cycles to apply again to maybe get into a school. I know that there are plenty of non-tradionals who have applied and gotten in at various ages much older then yours but being 33, and then doing 4 years of medical school and then possibly 3-4 years of residency isn't the easiest thing to do.

6ONSP98

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
Thanks for your response. All very valid. And gives me something to ponder about.

6ONSP98

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
Vomitonme said:
I honestly can't say that dropping out of medical school and then reapplying is the best move to do in the grand scheme of things. All the schools that you mentioned seem fine from what I've heard from other people.

If you think about it, you've finished 1 semester and only have 3 more to go before you start your clinical rotations. I mean, everyone I know complains about the first two years regardless of where you go.

And I can't help but think that dropping out of medical school to only reapply later on can only hurt you in the application process. What's the assurance to a school's admissions committee that you won't flake out again? I know that there is another person on this board who was in law school and dropped out to apply to medical school and he says that dropping out might be the major thing holding him back in his interviews.

In addition, you say you are 30 or nearing that age. I don't know if it's wise to wait another 2-3 cycles to apply again to maybe get into a school. I know that there are plenty of non-tradionals who have applied and gotten in at various ages much older then yours but being 33, and then doing 4 years of medical school and then possibly 3-4 years of residency isn't the easiest thing to do.
I thought about some of your comments...

I agree that age is a factor, plus I have a child..so I feel like reapplying definitely a tremendous burden, monitarily and temporally.

However, a few things. My school requires that I repeat the entire year. So come fall, I am MS I again..not MS 1.5. Additionally, because of this rule, I don't have a transcript until I have completed a year...which means if I reapplied I don't have to mention my 4 months of school unless specifically asked.

I am unfortunately in limbo still in terms of my decision. I definitely think taking a stab at another application cycle is a glutton for punishment and semi-psycho. However, I do think I'd have a chance even to gain an acceptance just applying earlier in the cycle to a broader range of schools. I think to increase my gpa with a year of a postbacc, would make my chances even better.

I'm still thinking because it's a tough decision. Thanks for all the advice though...

SP98

synapse

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2004
Virginia
Status
Medical Student
I've been accepted, but I'm also planning to reapply. I'm a CA resident and would like to stay in California. FIrst time I took the MCAT, I did not give it my full effort... planning to re-take the test. I think applying late and having a low MCAT score prevented me from getting accepted in CA.

JT1979

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2005
Status
If one were to change his/her residency before applying to medical school, how would the medical school look at that applicant?
Would the medical school treat him/her like a resident? or Would the medical school see right thru what he/she is trying to do?
For example, if you live in Arkansas or Mississppi (lower tier schools) and move to CA or Mich to go to top 15 medical schools, does the adcom treat you like a "real" resident when you apply? Or does the adcom not like the whole idea of moving?? Have anyone tried this or know who tried it??
Thanks guys.
I was accepted to my 2nd choice of medical school, and got rejected from my 1st choice. I am still going to my 2nd choice although it was tempting to apply again :D . I'll work study and work hard. Then, I'll try to match well to really good residencies... :thumbup:

jpro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
Kitchen Stadium
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have a stupid question.

Why would you apply, interview, and fill out secondaries and the whole shabang to a school that you know you would never attend even if you got excepted? Most people apply to the schools they acctually want to go to. If you find out that you truly hate the school later say after an interview then you can pull your application from that school. Am I right?

Chronoch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
Status
Uh...no, you're not right. First of all, I only recently discovered this masters program in the middle of the application cycle. I applied to schools that I am interested in going to and I will not 'abandon' them without ever seeing them or knowing if they can defer or even accept me People really decide if a school for them after they have been there, interviewed, talked to the students, see the facilities, etc. There have been two schools that I've interviewed at so far that I was truly interested in going there, only to find once I got there that the school wasn't the right fit that I was looking for.

Again, the masters degree is the cog in the machine here. If it wasn't for this option, I would go where ever I was granted an acceptance.

APTX

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
jpro said:
I have a stupid question.

Why would you apply, interview, and fill out secondaries and the whole shabang to a school that you know you would never attend even if you got excepted? Most people apply to the schools they acctually want to go to. If you find out that you truly hate the school later say after an interview then you can pull your application from that school. Am I right?
Are you a Texas resident? If you are, then maybe you know that most Texas applicants apply to ALL the med schools in Texas regardless of whether or not they really want to attend the school because they have a greater chance of getting accepted in-state (not to mention the lower tuition) You're right; if they really don't like the school they should withdraw their app, but that would also mean one less school on the match list (and a lesser chance of getting accepted), so they just rank the school last and don't worry until later. (Or, they think they'll match high anyway and would never get into school X)

I know lots of people in Texas who got accepted at their last-choice med schools this year, and a handful want to reapply and try again. If they had withdrawn their apps, they would have had ZERO acceptances, but maybe it would have been better that way. They could have worked on their apps and reapplied, without having to answer the dreaded question, "Why didn't you want to attend the school you got accepted to?"

JT1979

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2005
Status
Adcom: "Why didn't you want to attend the school you got accepted to?"
Student: Uh, Uh, I was too good for that medical school :laugh:

eflwon

PlaDO
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2005
SoCAl, but i yearn for the NORCAL
Status
yogiberra said:
Not true, i would rather be a DO over an MD, and i dont remember to well the last time I was in the Caribbean.

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
docmz said:
i find this statement to be completely unappropriate. if anything, an uneducated statement. someone would be a DO over an MD when they believe that the education they will receive as a DO will be better than that of an MD when it comes to treating the whole patient and not just the disease. there are tons of people who are in DO school this second and could have attended a MD program. there is nothing superior to MD over DO. doctor is doctor is doctor is doctor is the same privledge, salary, respect, etc.
read up yogiberra...perhaps the new book by Gevitz. it might open your eyes and take your blinders off.
I've just got to say, as annoying as DO bashing is to DOs, so is DO's saying that they learn to "treat the whole body, not just the disease" while suggesting that MD's just ignore the whole person is just as annoying. Seriously, it goes both ways.

CRY2STAL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Status
6ONSP98 said:
I thought about some of your comments...

I agree that age is a factor, plus I have a child..so I feel like reapplying definitely a tremendous burden, monitarily and temporally.

However, a few things. My school requires that I repeat the entire year. So come fall, I am MS I again..not MS 1.5. Additionally, because of this rule, I don't have a transcript until I have completed a year...which means if I reapplied I don't have to mention my 4 months of school unless specifically asked.

I am unfortunately in limbo still in terms of my decision. I definitely think taking a stab at another application cycle is a glutton for punishment and semi-psycho. However, I do think I'd have a chance even to gain an acceptance just applying earlier in the cycle to a broader range of schools. I think to increase my gpa with a year of a postbacc, would make my chances even better.

I'm still thinking because it's a tough decision. Thanks for all the advice though...

SP98
You really have a lot going in, and I will keep you in my prayers as you figure out what is the right thing for YOU and your family. I just wonder if the admissions committees would have serious reservations to your committment to medicine. I appreciate the circumstances that let you to take a LOA, but "dropping out" of that school only to reapply...I have a hunch that a number of schools will be hands off. I am not sure they would be willing to run the risk that you might decide the problem was never the first school, but instead medical school in general.

Also, what will a post-bacc show...you were admitted into and attended medical school...schools know you have what it takes...they may just question if you have the motivation, at this point, to finish the program and go on to practice medicine.

PRAY hard on this one (before you withdraw from school), and talk to family and friends you trust. They may have more insight into your motivation than you have at this point. Sometimes they just keep quiet, and they are well aware of the problem...keep us posted, and again, I will keep you in my prayers.

qqq

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2005
Status
i'll just offer my advice to the 30 yo mother who wants to reapply, granted i don't know you and i'm not in your situation but, imvho, please don't drop out of med school if you want to be in medicine. suck it up and finish it off. it'll be done and you'll be moving onto better things.

6ONSP98

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses....
I'm actually 30-4years old...so not quite there yet.
The post-bacc was to improve my ugrad gpa and improve my chance of getting into a 'better' school. if i am going to reapply...i am going to do so under the assumption that i can get into a school that more matches my ideals....it's possible such a school will be harder to get into.

That said, I am not going to reapply because I am more so concerned about the implications in future applications and my alma mater's reputation....I am not sure if I would be breaking AAMC application recommended policies. :rolleyes: So I guess I am going to have to suck it up....

thanks to all that responded...

jrae

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2004
Status
I'm new to this thread, but you all seem quite harsh towards people reapplying even though they were accepted to another school. Personally I have recently decided to defer admission to the school I was accepted to (one of my last choices) and focus on reapplying to the two other programs I was in love with, one of which I was wait listed for until recently. I would say, it's a personal decision and you need to consider what is offered vs what you want. I'm looking for a very specific program, of which I only found two I liked.

If the program allows deferment, and you are not 100% sure you want to go there, take the time to contact the programs you like and consider defering your admission, as long as you are not required to attend if you choose to defer. It'll be there next year as your safety net.

wetlightning

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2005
Status
What about re-applying, even if you get accepted to a school (to which you might not want to go), in order to improve your MCAT score and THEN get in where you want to go? (Not improving GPA, extracurriculars, etc....just MCAT)

thanks!

caliente

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
Status
Can you even apply to medical schools if you are already holding a deferred acceptance at another? Perhaps this will show up on AMCAS...

Big questions to ask yourself:

1) are you willing to take the risk?
= two parts of this really. One, if you don't get into any "better" schools the second time around, will the extra year have been worth it? (perhaps you actually LIKE the admissions process? lol.... Two, what happens if you don't get in at all the second time? Of course, the amount of "risk" depends on your situation... if you are a near borderline applicant at your school of choice, the risks are bigger than if you had applied really late with weak LORs the first time (easy things to change that can substantially improve your application).

2) is the potential "pay-off" proportional and worth the amount of risk? Will getting into those coveted schools bring substantial and real benefits?

Your choice, of course. Interesting dilemma though. It was interesting to read the reasons people have both for and against reapplying. Cheers!

caliente

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
Status
My personal opinion? DON'T DO IT. Like someone has already said, a doctor is a doctor is a doctor (unless it is in another country...) I have hated absolutely EVERYTHING in the admissions process, from getting LORs, writing essays in response to inane questions, to going for interviews (which I know I should be grateful to have received, but requires me to rob a bank). I'm also in my 4th year of an honors degree, so there is nothing easy for me to do next year (i.e. if I were in 3rd year, I could just complete the honors year at the same undergrad school).

Time is precious (cliche, I know). If I were to reapply, I would definitely feel as if I were just waiting around to go to medical school. Basically, the whole year would be devoted to the sole purpose of getting into selected schools. I would not be willing to do that since I would still feel like I was wasting a year, even if I went to do some international work, etc...

jrae

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2004
Status
For the school I really wanted to get into, I was wait listed. As I applied late (Aug MCAT) with a decent score, I'm sure that was the only thing preventing me from getting in. My backup school is a good one, it just lacks one key program that I want (MA in Bioethics). As far as holding a deferral goes, it depends on the school. My letter specifically says you can resubmit your AMCAS to other schools, you will just have to pay again. also, I'm not a fan of all my training being at one institution (Undergrad/Med School/Research).
Lastly, a good lab job helps make the years off more interesting!

caliente said:
Can you even apply to medical schools if you are already holding a deferred acceptance at another? Perhaps this will show up on AMCAS...

Big questions to ask yourself:

1) are you willing to take the risk?
= two parts of this really. One, if you don't get into any "better" schools the second time around, will the extra year have been worth it? (perhaps you actually LIKE the admissions process? lol.... Two, what happens if you don't get in at all the second time? Of course, the amount of "risk" depends on your situation... if you are a near borderline applicant at your school of choice, the risks are bigger than if you had applied really late with weak LORs the first time (easy things to change that can substantially improve your application).

2) is the potential "pay-off" proportional and worth the amount of risk? Will getting into those coveted schools bring substantial and real benefits?

Your choice, of course. Interesting dilemma though. It was interesting to read the reasons people have both for and against reapplying. Cheers!

Hoya11

15+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2004
Status
If you get into a US allopathic MD school, GO no matter what. THe process is so random who knows that if you improve your application that will help you get into the school you really want to go to, its just not worth it.

Going from DO to MD, if you are a borderline candidate with your heart set on MD you can do things like move to easier states and retake the mcat and classes to improve your app, and if you do well odds are they will see this as good. Someone asked before about moving to another state and how that would be viewed, I thought about this myself when i was applying and my feeling was that you could make up basically any reason to be in the area, and they are not going to investigate you they are not the fbi. Especially if you are a qualified candidate from a hard area like the northeast and you go into the midwestern pool you will have success.

However, i also think that spending more than two or three years improving your application for MD school, when you could be in DO school, is pointless.
But dont give up hope if MD is your goal and you are close, there are things you can do in a relatively short amount of time to push your application over the edge and get into a good program somewhere.